DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how to find locations to fly your drone legally for scenic photography | an article

OurAngryBadger

Reactions
Since it looks like I'm going to be confined to my home for a while with this Covid19 epidemic going around, I have a lot more free time, thought I'd try my hand at writing articles about things I've learned, to help other people who might be new to the hobby!
Here's my latest about how I've been finding locations to fly my drone:
Hope this information is helpful!

Nice job on your article. I think you’ve covered all the bases, so I appreciate you sharing!

Great article, excellent info... My question is why AirMap and Kittyhawk apps are not listed as pilot preflight resources for safe flight areas.

Hey Greg; I enjoyed that. I also saw that you were from Onondaga County (I grew up in Lyncourt) and was just there a few weeks ago. I also had one of my drones with me (Mavic air) and I took it to Oneida Shows so I could fly out over the ice.

I thought I checked everything out and I knew my BIL (who lives in the Clay area) had flown there before. I see where you mentioned that it's illegal to fly in a county park...oops. I really had no idea, which, I know is no excuse.

Several work trucks did drive by and no one said a thing, and I was pretty much in the open. Of course being winter, not many people were out by the water :)

Hey Greg; I enjoyed that. I also saw that you were from Onondaga County (I grew up in Lyncourt) and was just there a few weeks ago. I also had one of my drones with me (Mavic air) and I took it to Oneida Shows so I could fly out over the ice.

I thought I checked everything out and I knew my BIL (who lives in the Clay area) had flown there before. I see where you mentioned that it's illegal to fly in a county park...oops. I really had no idea, which, I know is no excuse.

Several work trucks did drive by and no one said a thing, and I was pretty much in the open. Of course being winter, not many people were out by the water :)

I think it's fairly new on the Onondaga County parks, but it does say now on their website that you need to obtain a permit first and obtain it 4 weeks before the day you intend to fly.

I don't remember seeing that on their website last year! I also noticed that Cayuga county parks do not have anything about drones on their website under their rules and regulations sections --- so I would assume it's OK to fly drones in their county parks.

I am not a lawyer so I don't know if it's technically "illegal" that you flew and I don't know if it's an actual law, more or less just a park rule? They could probably kick you out or maybe try to fine you but I doubt an actual "law" was broken. But again I am not a lawyer.

Like you said work trucks drove by, so they probably don't care really much unless you are disturbing people or someone complains. And then they have a written reason to get rid of you.

I'm not sure about how easy it is to obtain the permit for Onondaga County parks. WIth State Parks, I've tried a few times and have been rejected every time. But I've noticed some of the state parks (like green lakes) have official drone photos advertising the park. Seems NY State does not have a problem with someone operating a drone in their parks if it benefits them. ;)

At any rate, obtaining the permit 4 weeks in advance makes the whole process pretty useless in my experience! What if it thunderstorms on the day you have scheduled? Then it was all for waste, and I'm sure you won't get your permit fee back.

I guess it's not as much of an issue for hobbyist flyers as it is commercial flyers, like Wedding Photographers. I've been thinking about adding drone photos to my offerings for wedding photography, but a lot of weddings in Syracuse area are in State Parks and County Parks. I would have to stipulate to brides that it's based on if I can get the permit or not. Maybe New York would be more likely to grant the permit if I tell them it's the brides dream to have aerial photos of her wedding, and if they don't approve the permit she will cry? :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78