DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to fix a gimbal that aint broken

MP010

Reactions
Hi,

My DJImini 3 pro had to forced land in the woods. It hit a small tree but managed to safely fall on the soft underground. Everything works fine. He is able to fly but the only thing is that the gimbal can't move anymore. It looks like it's just a small cable that's cut through the impact. Now I find it such a waste to use my DJ insurance for such a small defect. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it is simple reparation that won't cost a lot when I bring it to the drone repair shop for example?

I had some pics of my drone here:

tempImageHZ10Zb.jpg

Here's a tear down video.

Good luck.

It looks to me as if your "aint broken" gimbal is, in fact, well and truly broken. There is a U shaped bracket that connects the two side/pitch? pivots, that bracket appears to be in two pieces with a displaced cover to boot.
Even if you are correct and it is only that "small cable" that is broken, that small cable contains many strands/wires and I wouldn't fancy your chances of being able to repair even one broken strand, besides which a DIY repair would almost certainly invalidate your insurance and probably your warranty.

Attachments

• broken mini 3 gimbal c&p.jpg
    broken mini 3 gimbal c&p.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
THAT! is the shock mount housing. (rubber boot/shake suppressor @ the gimbal motors)
Does the camera still focus because the one taken of gimbal sure don't? can't see ****
That's the first component that goes with any impact being a selfie stick pointing out in the open almost.
Even with new gimbal/parts recalibration may be troublesome from what I gather. There's a computer program/binary to run the calibrating (would like to know if anyone has successfully done this with the mini3?)

Last edited:
It looks to me as if your "aint broken" gimbal is, in fact, well and truly broken. There is a U shaped bracket that connects the two side/pitch? pivots, that bracket appears to be in two pieces with a displaced cover to boot.
Even if you are correct and it is only that "small cable" that is broken, that small cable contains many strands/wires and I wouldn't fancy your chances of being able to repair even one broken strand, besides which a DIY repair would almost certainly invalidate your insurance and probably your warranty.
Thanks. I think you are right. I should let it repair by DJI. I do have DJI Care Refresh insurance. But what do you mean by invalide? I think this is damage that's being covered by insurance. Am I right?

Last edited:
If you have flyaway insurance from DJI then you should have care refresh and it would be covered ........ providing you do not attempt a DIY repair.

I said "a DIY repair would almost certainly invalidate your insurance and probably your warranty." and meant, any attempted DIY repair of the "small cable" etc. would almost certainly invalidate your insurance and warranty.

If you have flyaway insurance from DJI then you should have care refresh and it would be covered ........ providing you do not attempt a DIY repair.

I said "a DIY repair would almost certainly invalidate your insurance and probably your warranty." and meant, any attempted DIY repair of the "small cable" etc. would almost certainly invalidate your insurance and warranty.
Thanks! I understand. I do have DJI care refresh.

@MP010, you're just gonna have to suck it up and use Care Refresh. That's what you bought it for, and fixing it yourself would invalidate the policy.

Reactions: MP010
I think you are right. I made a video of it so that you see it more clearly.

Video Gimbal issue DJI Mini 3 Pro

@MP010, you're just gonna have to suck it up and use Care Refresh. That's what you bought it for, and fixing it yourself would invalidate the policy.
Yeah, you are right. That's what I probably need to do. I hoped that it would be a small thing to repair myself so I wouldn't lose any of my insurance coverage as it is limited to max two crashed a year I believe.

Reactions: Don Testme
THAT! is the shock mount housing. (rubber boot/shake suppressor @ the gimbal motors)
Does the camera still focus because the one taken of gimbal sure don't? can't see ****
That's the first component that goes with any impact being a selfie stick pointing out in the open almost.
Even with new gimbal/parts recalibration may be troublesome from what I gather. There's a computer program/binary to run the calibrating (would like to know if anyone has successfully done this with the mini3?)

I made video of it here:

Gimbal issue video YouTube

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+