DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Fly a Drone for Dummies.

Edit: I clicked on your link below and see that the references you use in the above illustration come from the FPV world. And while everything you note for FPV's is 100% accurate. However, as a DJI camera drone pilot I see things (terms) differently and thought I might provide my perspective on the terminology.

While you think of the left stick forward as "throttle" and with FPV drones that's absolutely how you will think of the left stick. But with DJI camera drones, while the left stick does provide a throttle action as in straight up, the right stick forward or backwards also acts as a throttle, propelling the drone fwd/bkwd at varying speeds. Same thing with the right stick should you push it right and left, but the reaction may or may not have the same intensity as fwd/bkwd. When using the term"roll" left and right, the roll on a DJI drone is incidental as is pitch for fwd/bkwd. Do we really care how much pitch and roll the drone exhibits? Unlike FPV drones we can't do barrel rolls or loops. If using the "follow mode" we will not be aware of the pitch and roll of the drone as the gimbal will compensate for it in the viewfinder. If we use the FPV mode then perhaps we'll get a glimpse of roll and pitch. When I push the right stick left or right I know it will "slide" left or right (or whatever you want to call that action). In fact you could use your drone in place of a mechanical slide. I know that when I push the right stick forward it's going to go forward and the amount of "pitch" is controlled automatically by what the drone needs to do to go fwd or bkwd. When I think of pitch I think of gimbal action and pitch is addressed in gimbal settings in the DJI software.

Just throwing out how *I* think of the stick actions. I'm sure that one day when I venture into my first FPV drone I'm going to have to think of the stick actions differently.

1660436083450.png

Last edited:
Edit: I clicked on your link below and see that the references you use in the above illustration come from the FPV world. And while everything you note for FPV's is 100% accurate. However, as a DJI camera drone pilot I see things (terms) differently and thought I might provide my perspective on the terminology.

While you think of the left stick forward as "throttle" and with FPV drones that's absolutely how you will think of the left stick. But with DJI camera drones, while the left stick does provide a throttle action as in straight up, the right stick forward or backwards also acts as a throttle, propelling the drone fwd/bkwd at varying speeds. Same thing with the right stick should you push it right and left, but the reaction may or may not have the same intensity as fwd/bkwd. When using the term"roll" left and right, the roll on a DJI drone is incidental as is pitch for fwd/bkwd. Do we really care how much pitch and roll the drone exhibits? Unlike FPV drones we can't do barrel rolls or loops. If using the "follow mode" we will not be aware of the pitch and roll of the drone as the gimbal will compensate for it in the viewfinder. If we use the FPV mode then perhaps we'll get a glimpse of roll and pitch. When I push the right stick left or right I know it will "slide" left or right (or whatever you want to call that action). In fact you could use your drone in place of a mechanical slide. I know that when I push the right stick forward it's going to go forward and the amount of "pitch" is controlled automatically by what the drone needs to do to go fwd or bkwd. When I think of pitch I think of gimbal action and pitch is addressed in gimbal settings in the DJI software.

Just throwing out how *I* think of the stick actions. I'm sure that one day when I venture into my first FPV drone I'm going to have to think of the stick actions differently.

View attachment 153291
Our aircraft have no lifting or control surfaces other than independently powered, fixed pitch propellers. Would not helicopter terminology be helpful?
In the above diagram the right stick is analogous to the cyclic for flight thrust direction control. This is the stick held by a pilot’s right hand between the legs. The left control stick combines the collective function (Lift or angle of attack) with a linked auto throttle for power. The collective is held by a pilots left hand and raised or lowered for power and thus controls changes in altitude and power changes. And finally the pilots feet are needed to control the tail rotor for directional control of the nose of the aircraft ( anti torque). This functionality is also accomplished by the left controller stick being pushed left or right.
We don’t have wings, ailerons, elevators or rudders - we control our craft really more like a helicopter than an airplane. I am not sure this helps but we are after all a rotorcraft not an airplane. I would be interested in any feedback. Thanks.

The controller sticks give input to a flight controller mimicking the helecopter functionality . Helicopter main rotor blades and the tail rotor are variable pitch - our props are fixed pitch. Thus thrust at each rotor is a variable control by speed alone. Are aircraft in hover and no wind would have symmetric thrust. To move forward the aircraft must tilt forward to have a forward vector. This tilt forward would reduce the lift vector and thus power on all blades must increase to not lose altitude. In a helicopter the cyclic is nosed forward and the throttle on the collective is increased. Forward level flight is thus achieved. Our birds are “fly by wire” and the onboard flight control adjusts the speed and amperage to each motor in response to GPS and controller inputs. The sticks (in my mind) mimic a helicopter controls and pedals.

View attachment 153291
Now this looks familiar.

Our aircraft have no lifting or control surfaces other than independently powered, fixed pitch propellers. Would not helicopter terminology be helpful?
In the above diagram the right stick is analogous to the cyclic for flight thrust direction control. This is the stick held by a pilot’s right hand between the legs. The left control stick combines the collective function (Lift or angle of attack) with a linked auto throttle for power. The collective is held by a pilots left hand and raised or lowered for power and thus controls changes in altitude and power changes. And finally the pilots feet are needed to control the tail rotor for directional control of the nose of the aircraft ( anti torque). This functionality is also accomplished by the left controller stick being pushed left or right.
We don’t have wings, ailerons, elevators or rudders - we control our craft really more like a helicopter than an airplane. I am not sure this helps but we are after all a rotorcraft not an airplane. I would be interested in any feedback. Thanks.
I did some computer helo training. What a different beast helicopters are! I do appreciate differences and what a miracle helos are and how difficult they are to learn to fly well. For me, fixed wing aircraft is far more intuitive.

Reactions: frcaloy
I agree. I was a fixed wing pilot who spent two years as an Army surgeon with the 101st ABN. Some helpful instructor pilot friends decided to let me get acquainted with the transitioning challenges. Flying a Huey above 40 knots is very similar to my fixed wing experience of 1250 hours. But slow it down or try to hover and it’s a whole new world. It was a very humbling experience but they were very patient.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
FLY SAFE

Interesting title, but should dummies really be flying drones?
Well, we let 'em drive cars, drink booze, have children, make contracts, and, worst of all, dance!

Dummies cause a whole lotta chaos... flying drones doesn't seem so bad when you put it in perspective 🤣

Reactions: Marinomons
Oh..... Joy Sticks??? I assumed there would be something like a throttle pedal, a brake pedal and for the rest the aeroplane just follows how I hold the controller in my hands. Is it really that complicated?

Reactions: HighlandsVideo

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21