DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finding the balance: How often do you fly your drone?

I mostly agree with the part where I try to fly 3-5 times a week because the weather conditions often do not permit it so you have to fly when you get a chance, when there is an "opening." Or, I may go to my favorite spot only to find massive crowds and organized sports in teh area so I basically have to pack up and go home (or try a secondary spot) and call it a day. So during the non-winter months, I take at least 3 drones with me and mostly fly just one of them....sometimes two if I'm out of battery but I still want to fly. This all changed after I got into FPV because I figured the only way to get good, you gotta fly every day....for 6 months straight.

I think the fear of flying because of the Weather an Wind keeps many in hopes of a more perfect time to fly. This delay can go on for a long time, an by than forget some of the key aspects of flying there drone .

These close calls can lead to more stressful flights and Over time they get squeezed out of the hobby.

Flying a drone , should lead to learning how to edit video, and have a good understanding of Photography as well as getting a Wet Suit to fly an more Practice for many to learn how to fly in the stronger winds.

Once you have a good grasp of the wind and the weather , you will increase the number of chances to fly as well as allow for more interesting skies and reasons to fly.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Like Mavic3usa I gotta practice to get good. lol. I am lucky to be retired and I try to fly everyday if possible Batteries and weather permitting and bad weather just means simulator time! I do have a security job to do with the camera drone and that's 3 varied days a week for it.

I'm retired and have my batteries charged to fly, but something almost always comes up and I don't fly. I would like to fly about 3 times a week, but it usually ends up 2 or 3 times a month from spring to fall. So the number of times I charge the batteries is not even close to the number of times I fly.

Reactions: The Droning Company
I used to fly 5 times a week, then a year later I noticed it was 3 times a week, now a couple years after that it's once a week. I guess I got bored of seeing and filming the same old things over and over again. I fly in different areas locally, but even these different areas have become too familiar for me. I would have to drive 20 miles for some new scenery. I'm not a videophile, so I rarely use the drone for pictures and video, I use the camera just to look at things out of curiosity. I only record with the camera, if it's something i have never seen. I had a few months there where I would night fly and hunt down police lights and then watch them do there thing from a distance. I did the beach and ocean thing for a while, looking for sharks, dolphins, fish schools and sport fish, etc. Chasing boats was fun. I also flew near bridges and radio towers and buildings i thought were interesting. I also did the forest fly through and over a lot. I've had my crashes too. Now I just take the drone out or with me on vacations or if i'm going somewhere where i might get bored and like to fly a bit.

I used to fly 5 times a week, then a year later I noticed it was 3 times a week, now a couple years after that it's once a week. I guess I got bored of seeing and filming the same old things over and over again. I fly in different areas locally, but even these different areas have become too familiar for me. I would have to drive 20 miles for some new scenery. I'm not a videophile, so I rarely use the drone for pictures and video, I use the camera just to look at things out of curiosity. I only record with the camera, if it's something i have never seen. I had a few months there where I would night fly and hunt down police lights and then watch them do there thing from a distance. I did the beach and ocean thing for a while, looking for sharks, dolphins, fish schools and sport fish, etc. Chasing boats was fun. I also flew near bridges and radio towers and buildings i thought were interesting. I also did the forest fly through and over a lot. I've had my crashes too. Now I just take the drone out or with me on vacations or if i'm going somewhere where i might get bored and like to fly a bit.
a nice scenic flight over Haulover beach might be fun!

My Air 2 has been flown three times. Since 2020. The moment I hear that buzzing sound, I get uncomfortable. And I don't see in 3D like most. I can't tell how far away something is. I rely a great deal on telemetry which is not entirely accurate.

I try for 3X per week as I want to keep my skills up in the event I’m needed for SAR or a brush fire etc. It’s harder in the winter but flying from my vehicle helps, as noted above. The past few weeks have been a challenge due to heavy winds and holiday business. As I look at my weather station now, we’ve had GL winds in excess of 22mph and a wind chill of 4.8 degrees F (which is probably a mild day for our Alaskan members). Stay warm my friends!
😠

Last edited:
a nice scenic flight over Haulover beach might be fun!
For those of you who don't know, HAULOVER BEACH IS A NUDE BEACH, clothing optional, in MIami. I wouldn't risk the backlash of flying over that beach. IF I did, i certainly wouldn't fly in such a way as to be noticed as the pilot of the drone. They would label you a pervert.

I try to fly 3-4 times a week. I live in Phoenix, Arizona where to weather is great all year around. I'll launch from my backyard apt. just to fly and get the urge out of the way. Other times I'll fly over construction sites after they are done for the day. I also fly over small car dealerships, edit and add music and I can sell it to them. Phoenix is a big city and I'm able to fly inconspicuously. I'll fly over our local mountain parks with out having have to park on property. I can park in a store parking lot and launch from there. I haven't had any problems. Learn to launch quick and land quick. Looks like you're on your phone anyways. I fly a Mini 2 and a Mini 3 pro. The Mini 3 is quieter but but both drones have great cameras.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13