DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to fly from the top of a hill?

Hankster42

Reactions
When leaving from the top of a hill, other than not moving from that location, how does one navigate and still maintain a maximum altitude now that your reference point is lost?

When leaving from the top of a hill, other than not moving from that location, how does one navigate and still maintain a maximum altitude now that your reference point is lost?

It's the same problem as any flying over irregular terrain ... such as taking off from below a tall hill, flying up it, and then flying back down. You just need to have some sense of your terrain so that you don't fly too high above it.

Or ... you could fly preprogrammed missions using one of the apps (Litchi, Dronelink, Maven, etc) that offer height-above-ground programming (depening upon which model drone you have) and that use Google Earth and other terrain databases for the terrain data. Those apps can be a bit sketchy if you're trying to hug the ground since the data they rely on isn't all that precise, but if you're more interested in maximum height they should be fine.

Reactions: abrown0007
In the absence of an onboard measurement tool to monitor terrain distance, I like the suggestion of flying preprogrammed missions. Hadn't thought of that one.

Reactions: Romanbydrone
If at the top of a hill and maintaining VLOS...and you have a clear area....you could land and shut down and take off again ...having reestablished the new Ground Level

Mostly your 'best estimation' is ok and acceptable, unless something goes wrong of course !

If really worried about it in a specific location / circumstance, a fairly easy way to get your correct max altitude reasonably close is descend to a point in an open area (where LOS is ok too), and within an estimate 6 - 10 feet above the ground.
Take note of your - value altitude.
If it says -200', you know you can ascend from there until it reads ~ 200' and be reasonably close to legal legal altitude.

Mostly though, unless is very specific situations, the best estimate should be ok normally.
You get used to being able to pick 10' high or 400' high once you've been flying a while, and can use that to fly safely.

Mostly your 'best estimation' is ok and acceptable, unless something goes wrong of course !

If really worried about it in a specific location / circumstance, a fairly easy way to get your correct max altitude reasonably close is descend to a point in an open area (where LOS is ok too), and within an estimate 6 - 10 feet above the ground.
If it says -200', you know you can ascend from there until it reads ~ 200' and be reasonably close to legal legal altitude.

Mostly though, unless is very specific situations, the best estimate should be ok normally.
You get used to being able to pick 10' high or 400' high once you've been flying a while, and can use that to fly safely.
Another good tip I'll have to try, thanks.

I agree. I’ve been flying for a year or so now and you get used to using your best estimate “gut feel”. I take my my panoramas, footage, hand catch, say a quick prayer ? and go home!

Reactions: MARK (LI)
What do you mean about your reference point being lost?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom