DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How To Focus Properly

The tap to focus feature is great, but, I would agree to add to the new FW that infinite focus is set automatically and if I wish to focus on something nearer I would have to tap. I think this would make more sense.
And it probably would have eliminated a lot of the initial reviews/videos coming out where the image looked soft

So has it been determined that one tap will set it to Infinity Focus? Or will it lose focus after a while?

Also - does flipping back and between focus and metering matter after tapping the screen to focus?

Nope one tap on the sky it sets and stays.

Reactions: Smallz
My experience is that it sometimes becomes unexpectedly blurry even after being properly focused..but maybe this happens in specific light conditions (sunset time for me)

...flew a couple batteries and had MAJOR problems with focusing in low light (even heavy clouded light) - doesn't even look like a regular out of focus issue - it appears that any light object is sharp and any dark object is blurry - so weird and really upsetting as I had very high hopes for this bird...

...flew a couple batteries and had MAJOR problems with focusing in low light (even heavy clouded light) - doesn't even look like a regular out of focus issue - it appears that any light object is sharp and any dark object is blurry - so weird and really upsetting as I had very high hopes for this bird...

A lot of cameras have issues focusing in low light. This is the case with Mavic camera. In that case, I'd suggest you turn on manual focus and just set it to infinity or some reasonable value.

Reactions: jointeffort
I haven't done it, but can you change focus to manual and set to infinity?

Yes, you can and this is what I have been doing for low-light focus. It's 100% reliable where sometimes the camera just can't auto-focus in that situation.

The camera is more useful that way but does have this potential side effect if the user doesn't focus properly

Personally I think they should make it so it has an option to default to infinite focus (if they don't already.. I'm assuming they don't)

Maybe in a firmware update?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

actually i agree with OP

the tap to focus would be great IF the MAVIC didn't have the tendency to loose the actual FOCUS.

I took a few videos at sunset or early evening over the week end, and one thing i noticed is that it would suddenly become blurry, with no reason, and without me even touching the screen...

So i tap to focus infinity, it will set to infinity (at some occasions with quite some delays while flying in mid air)...and then after some minutes, video will become blurry by itself..untill i tap to focus once again...

I didn't notice such behaviour is full day light so i presume it's linked to sunset time or low light evening times...
I found this happening when switching from video to camera. When I switch back to video I have to make sure I refocus. Could this be what you have experienced?

Jason

Yes, you can and this is what I have been doing for low-light focus. It's 100% reliable where sometimes the camera just can't auto-focus in that situation.

and how do you technically do this , which menu ?

i confirm that my last flight put 90 % of pictures out of focus, especially when it's low light/sunset times

very depressing to take nice shots of a specififc scenery and to realize, once back home, that most shots are garbage

I found this happening when switching from video to camera. When I switch back to video I have to make sure I refocus. Could this be what you have experienced?

Jason

may be the reason as i normally often switch between taking stills photos and videos

and how do you technically do this , which menu ?

i confirm that my last flight put 90 % of pictures out of focus, especially when it's low light/sunset times

very depressing to take nice shots of a specififc scenery and to realize, once back home, that most shots are garbage

I don't have my Mavic and iPhone with me at the moment but in DJI Go 4 for the iPhone there is a manual focus option in the main settings menu. I think it's either under general or aircraft settings submenu.

Reactions: joet
Ah Oki Thanx. Too bad I'm using DJI go app original.

Maybe I should start using DJI go app but last I heard there were a few bugs still...

When C1 is configured that way, it sets the focus to whatever is in the center of the screen in DJI GO. It does the same thing as tapping in the center of the screen.

With C1 set up as auto focus theres no advantage in tapping to focus correct? Assuming I want to focus on whats in the center of course....I exclusively shoot stills and not video.

Last edited:
You'll likely get the best results if you tap on the area you want to be focused. Experiment with both options and see which works best for you.

So does the tap to focus only need to be done when you shooting an object this close? I mean if your up high shooting scenery, this wouldn't apply?

You always need to tap to focus if not using the auto focus feature.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada