DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to get an offline saved map into the map box during flight ?

plainman007

Reactions
Hi,

I opened the DJI app and was able to save a map offline. The map is saved and shows as a list of saved maps. Now when i fly without internet or WiFi how do i get that map into the map box in the lower left corner of the app screen ?

Also for saving a map many videos on YouTube show them saving it for an entire area. Or for that state etc. In my offline download it only allows me to download a very small portion which fits within the square. If i fit in a larger area within the square then the street names & details all go away because of the zoom level. How do i get a sizeable portion of the map or even the entire state so that its detailed/saved with street names etc.

Hello Guys,

Can anyone help ? Im sure this is something most of you use ?

This is based only on my personal experience. After having my own issues with downloading and storing off-line maps, I searched for any documentation from DJI and couldn't find it.

There seems to be a maximum size, in terms of megabytes, for each map tile you download. When I chose a rural area, with little detail, I was able to download a rather large area (a good chunk of northwest Virginia in my case). When I chose a metropolitan area, with a multitude of streets and other details, the area I could draw the square around (and therefore download) was much smaller. I couldn't find a way to determine the file size for each map tile, but my impression was that each one is limited in terms of how much data it contains. For a rural area, you might be able to grab an entire state. For a city area, the maximum area is much smaller.

There's also an overall limit in terms of map data stored across all the map tiles you download. I was able to download and use eight separate map tiles (a combination of rural and metropolitan areas). When I tried downloading a ninth segment; when it got to 39% it stopped and displayed "You must delete some offline region and resume download", followed by a cryptic button that simply said "Yes" underneath. Some users have reported being able to download and use more than eight segments; others have been blocked at fewer than eight. Again, it seems to be file-size related. Or maybe this is related to which platform (iPhone vs. Android) you're using. Who knows?

Because the app started to download data and then stopped at 39%, it would seem the limit is somehow memory- or storage-space limited rather than limited to a fixed number of maps. If this is memory-limited, it could also mean that the app might allow more or fewer map segments depending on how much total information is included with the map segments you download. It would be nice if there were documentation on this.

After all this, I discovered that filling up the allocated off-line maps storage space might not be a good idea. When I took my Mavic Air to a location without a WiFi connection, but in the center of an area I had downloaded for off-line use, all I saw in the map area in the corner of the screen was an empty black rectangle. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the off-line map to display. I returned home, and on a hunch I deleted a few of the off-line maps I knew I wouldn't need for a few days. I went back to the same area (no WiFi but off-line map), and voila, the off-line map magically appeared.

One of two things had apparently happened: Either one of the maps I deleted was somehow corrupted and prevented any off-line maps from displaying, or completely filling up the space reserved for off-line maps somehow messed things up.

The solution(s) I found might or might not help you, but it couldn't hurt to try these two approaches:
  • If you've maxed out the map storage and seen an error message that says you have to delete an existing map segment to free up space, delete a couple of the maps you've downloaded. I'm convinced the app gets flaky when the space reserved for map storage is maxed out (or nearly maxed out).
  • Delete and re-download the map that wouldn't display, then try again. You might have somehow wound up with corrupted data that won't display.
Larry

P.S. To answer your first question ;), if the off-line maps are working correctly, you shouldn't have to do anything to get them to display. When you fly outside of WiFi in an area where you've downloaded off-line maps, they'll simply show up in that box in the corner of the screen.

Last edited:
I believe it depends on whether the phone/tablet you're using is LTE enabled or not. If it isn't, then it may be using WiFi as a slightly primitive location finder, in which case, having WiFi off (or being out of range) will make the maps useless and they won't load.

This is based only on my personal experience. After having my own issues with downloading and storing off-line maps, I searched for any documentation from DJI and couldn't find it.

There seems to be a maximum size, in terms of megabytes, for each map tile you download. When I chose a rural area, with little detail, I was able to download a rather large area (a good chunk of northwest Virginia in my case). When I chose a metropolitan area, with a multitude of streets and other details, the area I could draw the square around (and therefore download) was much smaller. I couldn't find a way to determine the file size for each map tile, but my impression was that each one is limited in terms of how much data it contains. For a rural area, you might be able to grab an entire state. For a city area, the maximum area is much smaller.

There's also an overall limit in terms of map data stored across all the map tiles you download. I was able to download and use eight separate map tiles (a combination of rural and metropolitan areas). When I tried downloading a ninth segment; when it got to 39% it stopped and displayed "You must delete some offline region and resume download", followed by a cryptic button that simply said "Yes" underneath. Some users have reported being able to download and use more than eight segments; others have been blocked at fewer than eight. Again, it seems to be file-size related. Or maybe this is related to which platform (iPhone vs. Android) you're using. Who knows?

Because the app started to download data and then stopped at 39%, it would seem the limit is somehow memory- or storage-space limited rather than limited to a fixed number of maps. If this is memory-limited, it could also mean that the app might allow more or fewer map segments depending on how much total information is included with the map segments you download. It would be nice if there were documentation on this.

After all this, I discovered that filling up the allocated off-line maps storage space might not be a good idea. When I took my Mavic Air to a location without a WiFi connection, but in the center of an area I had downloaded for off-line use, all I saw in the map area in the corner of the screen was an empty black rectangle. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the off-line map to display. I returned home, and on a hunch I deleted a few of the off-line maps I knew I wouldn't need for a few days. I went back to the same area (no WiFi but off-line map), and voila, the off-line map magically appeared.

One of two things had apparently happened: Either one of the maps I deleted was somehow corrupted and prevented any off-line maps from displaying, or completely filling up the space reserved for off-line maps somehow messed things up.

The solution(s) I found might or might not help you, but it couldn't hurt to try these two approaches:
  • If you've maxed out the map storage and seen an error message that says you have to delete an existing map segment to free up space, delete a couple of the maps you've downloaded. I'm convinced the app gets flaky when the space reserved for map storage is maxed out (or nearly maxed out).
  • Delete and re-download the map that wouldn't display, then try again. You might have somehow wound up with corrupted data that won't display.
Larry

P.S. To answer your first question ;), if the off-line maps are working correctly, you shouldn't have to do anything to get them to display. When you fly outside of WiFi in an area where you've downloaded off-line maps, they'll simply show up in that box in the corner of the screen.

Hi Larry,

The phone im using is an Android, latest version. Whats even worse is that this is a DJI APPROVED (so much for DJI approval) handset as specified in the handful of phones they've listed on their website as compatible phones and that we should use them to "ensure all features work" and that those phones have been tested by their engineers to work with all features.

Of the two main ideas your suggesting, firstly i have downloaded only one map. Just one, covering the 2-3 blocks around my house where i fly. From when i bought the phone i tried downloading this offline map. The download worked and its also in the panel of saved maps and shows its about 70mb in size. This is the only one map i downloaded so its the only one that shows in that panel. So im working with just one and theres nothing else to delete because it doesn't work with even just one. From the day i bought the AIR i only have this one map offline saved and it never has loaded.

Regarding re-downloading the map, ive tried several times and same result. And ive tried just this one map on my original android phone, didn't work. Then with another brand new android phone (which i had bought for my office work) and it didn't work on that. Then now currently on my Redmi Note 5 bought brand new 4 days back since the DJI staff kept saying to use their listed phones to guarantee all features work. Even on this phone it doesn't load. All the 3 phones were relatively new models with 3GB RAM and the 3rd one now being 4GB Ram.

Im using the DJI Go 4 App 4.3.0 which is the latest i had downloaded. Should i try going back to an older version or something ?

I believe it depends on whether the phone/tablet you're using is LTE enabled or not. If it isn't, then it may be using WiFi as a slightly primitive location finder, in which case, having WiFi off (or being out of range) will make the maps useless and they won't load.

LTE is more of internet bandwidth based and comes into play only when your online AFAIK. I only fly completely offline, no sim card inside, wifi off, bluetooth off, phone in airplane mode only, GPS i tried switch on / off and it made no difference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
56cbr600rr