DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Manage the Rain. by Phantomrain

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Every downpour is an adventure : it comes with its own unique set of challenges .
The AIR 2S Wet Suits give you that privilege to capture something interesting in the sky.

Its a lot like fishing , you dont always capture the Fish but the Adventure and Promise of what is to come , keeps you coming back on every crack of thunder.

Between the video and the Pictures , its the Storm Pics that I have come to love the most and get the most enjoyment out of.

I screen them on my Computer /TV and have a few ready for Print.

I am constantly amazed with the quality and the detail of the pictures. My collection has gown rapidly over the last 3 years From Tornados, to Hail, to Lake Storms an Lightning shots and I keep wanting more as my heart starts racing on every Storm.

Its fun, its scary and sometimes rewarding , and many times I will fly from the Comfort of my car but not today things happened to fast. even my cats got caught in the rain.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.

screenshot_02.png

From the website

"The prop covers are critical to keeping out the Salt, Sand and Stones when on the beach."

I cant see anything on the props, what does this relate to?

From the website

"The prop covers are critical to keeping out the Salt, Sand and Stones when on the beach."

I cant see anything on the props, what does this relate to?
Prop Covers are not Critical for Rain but are for keeping out the Sand / Salt / Stones and Pollen from blocking the motors. There 4 Small Neoprene adhesive discs that protect the motors from being blocked , very useful in high swirling winds in a storm..

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Reactions: sage32 and Droniac
Every downpour is an adventure : it comes with its own unique set of challenges .
The AIR 2S Wet Suits give you that privilege to capture something interesting in the sky.

Its a lot like fishing , you dont always capture the Fish but the Adventure and Promise of what is to come , keeps you coming back on every crack of thunder.

Between the video and the Pictures , its the Storm Pics that I have come to love the most and get the most enjoyment out of.

I screen them on my Computer /TV and have a few ready for Print.

I am constantly amazed with the quality and the detail of the pictures. My collection has gown rapidly over the last 3 years From Tornados, to Hail, to Lake Storms an Lightning shots and I keep wanting more as my heart starts racing on every Storm.

Its fun, its scary and sometimes rewarding , and many times I will fly from the Comfort of my car but not today things happened to fast. even my cats got caught in the rain.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.

View attachment 131921
I’m an obvious fan of your work and products. I learn so much from your work and opinions.thanks for always sharing and educating. Godspeed Howie

Prop Covers are not Critical for Rain but are for keeping out the Sand / Salt / Stones and Pollen from blocking the motors. There 4 Small Neoprene adhesive discs that protect the motors from being blocked , very useful in high swirling winds in a storm..

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Are they included with the raincover shown on the website or a seperate part?

Reactions: Droniac
They are included with the Wet Suit : we use to use the aluminum ones but they rattled and the Neoprene proved to be much better .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

strange, my post disappeared, try again.
can all the waterproof gear be left on without any ill effects. I live in the U.K. so hot weather isn’t an issue

strange, my post disappeared, try again.
can all the waterproof gear be left on without any ill effects. I live in the U.K. so hot weather isn’t an issue
The Wet Suit are designed to be worn at all times , there is no need to ever take it off other than to replace it.
The Neoprene itself is very forgiving and keeps the drone cooler to the touch in extreme heat such as the bottom of the drone which can reach 120 F. So there are no ill effects.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , with no ill effects .

Reactions: sage32 and Tufargon
The Wet Suit are designed to be worn at all times , there is no need to ever take it off other than to replace it.
The Neoprene itself is very forgiving and keeps the drone cooler to the touch in extreme heat such as the bottom of the drone which can reach 120 F. So there are no ill effects.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , with no ill effects .

Many thanks for the replies, it’s on my wish list

One thing I recommend on your first flight in the rain is to just fly directly into the rain and let the lens get covered in drops , and get comfortable clearing them. Flying backwards will protect the lens once you recognize the rain pattern.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Hunter_k
One thing you never mention about the wet suits is that they protect your sensors from being smudged , and stop the sun glare you get with vinyl wraps . I also found that I can still break the Air Tight seal with just one leg folded in for a fast battery change. Very slick

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yes the Wet Suits will be a great addition in the Snow, The Neoprene offers a Nice Squeeze when Hand Catching and the Air Tight Battery Coves when sealed will keep the Battery 6 degree warmer. That can be the difference in taking off and not taking off.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and the Snow.

I now have wet suits , how effective is flying backwards on the lens in the rain.
As long as you not flying directly into the Rain , your lens should be clear . So flying backwards at times could be the correct call. You will also notice there are several ways to shoot video in the Rain as well as pictures.

You can shoot in the Rain to show the Rain in your video
You can also shoot the Rain where you see the video but no Rain.
You can also shoot in the Rain where you see drops landing on the Lens

They all have cinematic value , and all can have purpose.
I will make a video showing some examples of this but these Two clips were sent in from clients and do a good job of showing how to negotiate the Rain.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

What type adhesive holds the wetsuits in place? Any residue?
Depends on which wet suit but its all 3M adhesive and if you were to remove it , goo gone gets any residue off really easy. All the Adhesive is Pressure Sensitive and install takes about 10 minutes. The more pressure you apply to the parts the more the stronger the adhesion will be.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Artemis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada