DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how to override RTH

Thanks
I was in a panic trying to get it to land because it would have crashed trying to get to home
holding the down control would only let me get it down to about 6 feet and every time I
reached up to grab it it sensed an obstruction (my hand) and went back up
I was afraid to touch the RTH button thinking it would do just that
next time I will know to press the red x or the RTH button
again, Thanks

I had to laugh at this post if you look back a couple of days I asked the same thing. I know exactly how you feel.i have been practicing inside with rth just so I get used to it.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I was in a panic trying to get it to land because it would have crashed trying to get to home
Or .. the fastest way to cancel RTH is to flick the Flight Mode switch out of P-GPS and back again.
It's a good idea to pick a launch spot which will be clear for a safe landing if the drone needs to auto RTH.

As for hand catching, put your hand under the AC, then hold throttle down. Don't worry if it jumps up a bit. After a few seconds, it will land in your hand.

Why was it safer to land closer to where low battery RTH triggered than actually going home? Too much wind?
If wind wasn't the issue, RTH on low battery should make it back, unless you had RTH altitude set too low. You'll want to be sure to always set a safe altitude in case of signal loss RTH which you can't cancel until you regain signal.

You should also practice how to handle autolanding triggered by "critical battery level". I was very comfortable with RTH until that day when autolanding was triggered while RTHing. That was the first time the drone did it and it was night time. I was striken by panic when the drone suddenly stopped going home and started landing onto a flyover 300 m away with the lady inside the remote kept saying "landing , landing ..... ". I repetitively pressed the red flight pause botton on the remove like crazy trying to stop it just to realize that autolanding cannot be cancelled ....:eek:

Last edited:
Honestly: what would be the use of cancelling a low battery auto-landing? It could only result in a drone crash when the motors stop - which nobody wants to happen.

Besides that I am not sure HK regulations allow night flights out of sight; even if it was legal I wouldn't risk it...

I have yet to see Mini trigger critical battery landing, even after trying to get it to do so without getting voltage past what would be comfortable for battery life.

Note that with other Mavic models, you can't cancel critical battery auto land, you can override the descent with the throttle until the battery is so low, the AC can't function. You can fly the M2 as long as two minutes after reaching 0%.

Honestly: what would be the use of cancelling a low battery auto-landing? It could only result in a drone crash when the motors stop - which nobody wants to happen.

Besides that I am not sure HK regulations allow night flights out of sight; even if it was legal I wouldn't risk it...
Certainly you want to cancel it and bring it back manually when you know for sure that there is sufficient battery for it to get home. When autolanding was triggered, there was still 18% battery and the drone was just 300 meters away and 200 meters up. I didn't know until then that although autolanding cannot be cancelled, the drone will respond to stick inputs. The only difference is that you have to apply quite a lot of throttle up to stop the descent. If full throttle is applied, the drone will actually go up slowly.

The photo taken prior to RTH :
DJI_0328 edit2.jpg

Thanks
holding the down control would only let me get it down to about 6 feet and every time I
reached up to grab it it sensed an obstruction (my hand) and went back up
I was afraid to touch the RTH button thinking it would do just that
next time I will know to press the red x or the RTH button
again, Thanks

Just yesterday I had the same situation and panic, if not worse. I was convinced that there was not enough power to ascend to RTH altitude before returning. Honestly, I had the feeling that half a moths salary would be gone within a minute (expensive in Norway).
Pushing downwards and grabbing the drone from one side and beneath it just escaped higher. Sneaking in from the back and grabbing it from underneath did the trick.
However, now the drone got panic instead -it gave full trottle to try to get away from me holding it back from ascending to RTH altitude. It was like a mad dog spotting a cat!
Not knowing anything else to do (with the remote in one hand and the drone in the other) I just held it back until it shut down by itself, puuhh :) .
Saved the half month salary but felt like I just had mistreated someone!
I.e. I am extreemely happy to discover this forum tread. I now know what to do next time. Many THX.

Last edited:
Just yesterday I had the same situation and panic, if not worse. I was convinced that there was not enough power to ascend to RTH altitude before returning. Honestly, I had the feeling that half a moths salary would be gone within a minute (expensive in Norway).
Pushing downwards and grabbing the drone from one side and beneath it just escaped higher. Sneaking in from the back and grabbing it from underneath did the trick.
However, now the drone got panic instead -it gave full trottle to try to get away from me holding it back from ascending to RTH altitude. It was like a mad dog spotting a cat!
Not knowing anything else to do (with the remote in one hand and the drone in the other) I just held it back until it shut down by itself, puuhh :) .
Saved the half month salary but felt like I just had mistreated someone!
I.e. I am extreemely happy to discover this forum tread. I now know what to do next time. Many THX.

its simple... when you catch it, turn it upside down to kill the motors instantly. Keep flying.

I had to laugh at this post if you look back a couple of days I asked the same thing. I know exactly how you feel.i have been practicing inside with rth just so I get used to it.
Rth doesnt work unless its a certain distance away i think its like 20m any closer and the drone doesn’t return to home it lands where it is... also at any time during rth just press the button on the controller... thx to this forum ive advoided panic in situation .. panic is never gonna help .. heres something i use rth for of im flying and For any reason i want to get pointed in direction of home Iike example its really windy turn on the rth for a moment long enough for it to point in direction of home Before it changes altitude turn rth off throw it in sports mode and full forward And your mini will b-line it in your direction... also Don’t forget the map if you dont want to h it rth just want to head home or you lost video click the map and line the triangle up with path flown and straight home

On the left side of your screen, in big red letters, it should also say tap here to cancel RTH, while you are in RTH mode.

Reactions: ff22
I too just had this happen. I knew the battery was low and had just flown it up my driveway where I intended to land it, I was about 2 meters up. Instead it started telling me it was going to return to home, and tried to. Flew into a 120V line, dropped from that, I backed it against a wall and managed to get it to come down to automatic landing height.
This was only about my first hour of flying.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2