DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Purchase a Drone to keep by Phantomrain.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
We always make a point to Purchase Two Drones from either Best Buy or Amazon as a better return Policy is more important than price.

The first thing we look at is the SD card slot , if the SD card slot is set to deep , meaning its going to be very frustrating to get the SD card in and out. The Drone goes back.

We also do a Squeeze Test where we listen for squeaks and cracks, and or Micro Cracks and Prop defects : The Drone goes back.

Next it has to behave with the Assistant 2 and be recognized within 2 minutes of being connected or : The Drone goes back.

The drone has to have a Perfect Horizon out of the box or : The drone goes back.

The drone has to pass the IMU test on different angles of the drone : If the drone cannot be restarted on a 35 Degree angle : The Drone goes Back

We also test that the Camera has an air tight seal by placing the camera in the water for a few seconds , if we see bubbles the drone goes back.

The Controller test is a 3000 ft. flight out forward with good line of sight and 1000 ft. backwards with perfect signal and video from inside the car or : The Drone goes back.

If the Drone fails anyone of these test we Crack open the other box and try again: We have yet to have Two Drones Fail thus far purchased together.

Despite all the Storms / Rain / Hail and Snow that we put the Drones through we have yet to do a single Calibration on any of them. This includes trips on the Motorcycle, Car or Plane .

After it rains on the drone we don't even wipe the camera lens , it is just placed on the Shelf to dry off until the next day.

We have yet to use a Gimbal lock on any of the drones , as our thinking is if the Camera can Withstand 35 mph winds and get blasted from every angle, than it handle the wear of moving it around , and saves us the hassle of the lock in general.

We keep it simple: The Wet Suits allow us the confidence to not panic in the Rain, and Rescue Jackets allow us to test out part over the Water we have not flown over yet.

Will also use the Rescue jackets to keep visual line of sight to 3000 ft.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic's in the RAIN and Land on the Waves.

Last edited:
All pretty spot on, but I ain't dipping my camera :p I also don't concur on Gimbal lock as the shocks even in a car during transport can be quite a few sudden "G's" on the suspension system and motor shafts of the gimbal which just adds to wear or issues down the road. Nothing like it will sustain in any normal flight. But to each their own...DJI probably hates you by now.....it goes back ...too funny. Take care.

Last edited:
We always make a point to Purchase Two Drones from either Best Buy or Amazon as a better return Policy is more important than price.

The first thing we look at is the SD card slot , if the SD card slot is set to deep , meaning its going to be very frustrating to get the SD card in and out. The Drone goes back.

We also do a Squeeze Test where we listen for squeaks and cracks, and or Micro Cracks and Prop defects : The Drone goes back.

Next it has to behave with the Assistant 2 and be recognized within 2 minutes of being connected or : The Drone goes back.

The drone has to have a Perfect Horizon out of the box or : The drone goes back.

The drone has to pass the IMU test on different angles of the drone : If the drone cannot be restarted on a 35 Degree angle : The Drone goes Back

We also test that the Camera has an air tight seal by placing the camera in the water for a few seconds , if we see bubbles the drone goes back.

The Controller test is a 3000 ft. flight out forward with good line of sight and 1000 ft. backwards with perfect signal and video from inside the car or : The Drone goes back.

If the Drone fails anyone of these test we Crack open the other box and try again: We have yet to have Two Drones Fail thus far purchased together.

Despite all the Storms / Rain / Hail and Snow that we put the Drones through we have yet to do a single Calibration on any of them. This includes trips on the Motorcycle, Car or Plane .

After it rains on the drone we don't even wipe the camera lens , it is just placed on the Shelf to dry off until the next day.

We have yet to use a Gimbal lock on any of the drones , as our thinking is if the Camera can Withstand 35 mph winds and get blasted from every angle, than it handle the wear of moving it around , and saves us the hassle of the lock in general.

We keep it simple: The Wet Suits allow us the confidence to not panic in the Rain, and Rescue Jackets allow us to test out part over the Water we have not flown over yet.

Will also use the Rescue jackets to keep visual line of sight to 3000 ft.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic's in the RAIN and Land on the Waves.
I prefer not to buy from Amazon - myself. I've bought all my drones and 99% of my camera (DSLR's) gear from B&H Photo in NY and NEVER EVER had an issue with product, delivery, and never sent anything back - even with their great return policy.

Guess I've just been lucky all along with them. Would not hesitate to contact them if there were issues and from responses by others who have returned items - they have no problems.

Everyone likes a nice low price, but also prefer to spend maybe a little more (if that happens) to buy from a REPUTABLE DEALER who stands behind their merch. B&H gives me both from my perspective.

I prefer not to buy from Amazon - myself. I've bought all my drones and 99% of my camera (DSLR's) gear from B&H Photo in NY and NEVER EVER had an issue with product, delivery, and never sent anything back - even with their great return policy.

Guess I've just been lucky all along with them. Would not hesitate to contact them if there were issues and from responses by others who have returned items - they have no problems.

Everyone likes a nice low price, but also prefer to spend maybe a little more (if that happens) to buy from a REPUTABLE DEALER who stands behind their merch. B&H gives me both from my perspective.
Have made many purchases from B&H and they are a reputable solid company. No complaints ever. Sadly I purchased my MA2 direct from DJI direct since I would have had to wait about 3 weeks at that moment with B&H. I finally was ready to pull the trigger and did not want to wait. Everyone has their favorites and B&H is an old fashioned customer oriented company. I did not have any issue with DJI direct thankfully.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS