DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to reduce spam emails?

Former Member

Reactions
One of my dear friends has decided to put my email address on every site that he can find. As a joke I got around 20 subscription emails this morning from companies I never heard of. Anyone know how to stop someone from doing this and to report it to the police? Can I track down his ISP through how he signed me up to the websites? I'm 99% sure who it is and would love to have the police pay him a visit or even better the FBI.

Ever consider switching to Gmail? That has the best spam filtering of any email service I've ever used. While it won't filter out signups for legit companies (assuming they are legit), it does eliminate most spam. And then you could forward your AOL email address to your Gmail address. That would allow you to continue to receive your AOL email and also reply to email from your AOL address (if you wanted to continue using it).

You likely won't be able to track down the person who submitted your email address. If you're really determined to do so anyhow, you could contact those companies one-by-one and see if any of them will reveal the IP address used to sign up. Many companies are probably tracking it or should be able to look it up in their web server log.

Reactions: Simmo
Possibly. If they were using a proxy or vpn service, finding the c
One of my dear friends has decided to put my email address on every site that he can find. As a joke I got around 20 subscription emails this morning from companies I never heard of. Anyone know how to stop someone from doing this and to report it to the police? Can I track down his ISP through how he signed me up to the websites? I'm 99% sure who it is and would love to have the police pay him a visit or even better the FBI.
Wow, that's terrible.
Ever consider switching to Gmail? That has the best spam filtering of any email service I've ever used. While it won't filter out signups for legit companies (assuming they are legit), it does eliminate most spam. And then you could forward your AOL email address to your Gmail address. That would allow you to continue to receive your AOL email and also reply to email from your AOL address (if you wanted to continue using it).

You likely won't be able to track down the person who submitted your email address. If you're really determined to do so anyhow, you could contact those companies one-by-one and see if any of them will reveal the IP address used to sign up. Many companies are probably tracking it or should be able to look it up in their web server log.
Keep in mind that if they were using something such as a vpn or proxy, the ip would be bogus anyways. They would then have to subpoena the vpn company, many of which are located overseas and do not fall under US jurisdiction. On top of that, many vpns do not keep logs and even advertise as such.

Reactions: Opabob

If they are legit companies, I've had good success with simply scrolling to the bottom of the email and click on the "unsubscribe" link. They are usually buried in the small print at the bottom of commercial emails. Not likely that law enforcement will do more than listen to your story.

Reactions: Former Member
Not likely that law enforcement will do more than listen to your story.

I do some repair work for my counties fire and police drones. Good friends with a sergeant. Also a couple of my computer expert friends made some good suggestions on how to stop the criminal. I appreciate your comment.

Hey Rob,
I agree with one of the comments up above.
Go through the unsubscribe process.... some times it looks hard, and pointless because they keep coming back, but persist, and it should stop.
I had the same happen to me, and dont know where it came from, but it was unsavoury content to say the least...

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803