DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to set loss of connection to Hover instead of RTH on Mavic 3

jephoto

Reactions
Yesterday while doing video clips at a school, I was doing a long take at eye level to stay under overhanging tree branches- down a sidewalk for the length of the school.
I had to turn off the Obsticle Avoidance and walk behind it. Worked really well.

But I was concerned about if for any reason I lost connection to the controller that it would try to RTH- rising up to 65’ (minimum I could see how to set it. ) thereby immediately hitting the tree branches only a few feet above it.

With my phantom four pro, I have the option of setting the loss of connection setting to hover rather than RTH.
At least I think I could. Have to check Go4 settings to confir.
I cannot see a way to do that in the fly app.
Is that not possible?

And if it is not possible, what is the best way to handle that situation where I would not want it to rise up to return the home in case of a connection loss?

With my phantom four pro, I have the option of setting the loss of connection setting to hover rather than RTH. I cannot see a way to do that in the fly app.
That setting is available here.

Reactions: old man mavic
Thx msinger- but I still don’t see where you choose “Hover” in case of connection loss.

but I still don’t see where you choose “Hover” in case of connection loss
That setting is in "Safety" --> "Advanced Safety Settings" (at the very bottom). Or roll that video back a few seconds from where I linked it to see that in the video.

That setting is in "Safety" --> "Advanced Safety Settings" (at the very bottom). Or roll that video back a few seconds from where I linked it to see that in the video.
Thats it. I knew it should've been there. thx!

I almost never want that. But this was the exact situation you need it for.

Be careful of its use because it will end in a low battery RTH if you do not regain connection.

Be careful of its use because it will end in a low battery RTH if you do not regain connection.
If that setting it set to "Hover", the drone will hover in place if the remote controller signal is lost. If the pilot is not able to regain the signal, the drone will eventually land at that location when the battery is too low to continue hovering in place.

@jephoto hi fellow flyer this is a setting that i tend to use a lot ,mainly for flying under tree cover, or in areas where i will be flying under structures ,as has been said it does prevent the drone from ascending to a preset RTH height, in such signal loss situations ,but its important to always check exactly what setting you have ,once the drone is in flight ,use it with caution ,for specific situations

As said above, I almost NEVER turn off the RTH. But this was flying at 6’ high, just faster than walking pace, with me right behind it.
The only danger to the drone would’ve been if it tried to RTH by going UP into the overhanging branches…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne