DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to unlock authorization zone

FlyingDutchman90

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I wanted to take off with my drone today but I got a warning that I was in an authorization zone. I tried to unlock but it wasn't working. When I click on Unlock it tells me that "a network is required" , even though my phone is supposedly connected to a network.
I don't know if the problem is simply a network problem on my phone or that it's something else. What do we usually need to unluck such a zone?
Hopefully someone has the answer. I attached some screenshots just to clarify the warnings I got.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-04-11-16-28-11.png
    Screenshot_2022-04-11-16-28-11.png
    571.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2022-04-11-14-44-14.png
    Screenshot_2022-04-11-14-44-14.png
    225.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_2022-04-11-14-44-08.png
    Screenshot_2022-04-11-14-44-08.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 18
Do you have an app there that shows Restricted Airspace or No-Fly-Zones? Do you have a way to ask for authorization from your air authority? Why it wouldn't unlock, I don't know. Have you flown in this area before?

I'm in the US. We have B4UFly app that shows restricted airspace. We also have the LAANC system where we can get authorization for flying in a restricted airspace up to the allowable altitude.

The best way to handle this is to get a custom unlock from DJI. That way you don't have to worry about unlocking on site. Put in the description that you'll be flying in an authorization zone w/o wifi. Attach your COA or LAANC authorization as proof of permission.

I've done it from my computer on site. But I have a hotspot in my vehicle, so it's a bit easier.

Go to dji.com/flysafe and follow the directions for a custom unlock.

Do you have an app there that shows Restricted Airspace or No-Fly-Zones? Do you have a way to ask for authorization from your air authority? Why it wouldn't unlock, I don't know. Have you flown in this area before?

I'm in the US. We have B4UFly app that shows restricted airspace. We also have the LAANC system where we can get authorization for flying in a restricted airspace up to the allowable altitude.
This is a DJI GEO Zone issue. He needs to go though DJI to unlock it. Just having permission isn't enough in this case.

Reactions: Prop Wash
Thank you for the replies.

So I'm hoping to do the right thing. I went to the dji.com/flysafe link and clicked on "unlock a zone''.
Then I had to fill in some minor personal details and then I cliked on "New unlock Request''. So the first thing they ask is the serial number of the "flight controller SN'', which I'm supposed to find in the DJI Fly app.
Where can I find this? When I google it, it tells me to click on the three dots when I open the app, but there is no three dots anywhere... Do you have any idea where I can find this number?

The 3 dots are on the display (top right). Clicking/touching them takes you into settings where you will find your serial no. required in sub menu.

I found the serial number! Thanks.
However, then when I go to the "New Unlock Request" in DJI FlySafe I added the details required for my device. However, after submitting it says "List unable to display devices that do not support this unlocking type'' and I cannot select my Mini 2... So this applies that my device cannot be used to unlock this GEO zone based on the information provided. Also when I click ''Add pilot'' and I add my details, I cannot select myself as a pilot...
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

The best way to handle this is to get a custom unlock from DJI. That way you don't have to worry about unlocking on site. Put in the description that you'll be flying in an authorization zone w/o wifi. Attach your COA or LAANC authorization as proof of permission.

I've done it from my computer on site. But I have a hotspot in my vehicle, so it's a bit easier.

Go to dji.com/flysafe and follow the directions for a custom unlock.
This is great advice. I have had FAA authorization for a flight but DJI wouldn't let me fly because I hadn't contacted them. So, go to DJI first! It's sad that we have ask a Chinese company for permission to fly, over our own federal agency but what can you do but go with it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhgrogan