DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Qoncussion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can still just turn the Geo System completely off in the Go4 app can't you?

Yes. That won't allow you to fly in restricted areas though.

Yes. That won't allow you to fly in restricted areas though.

A few weeks ago after one of the updates the Geo System turned on by default. When I then tried to fly at a location I frequently fly at, it wouldn't let me take off. I went back in and turn off the Geo System and it took off no problem. I have yet to encounter a place where the app will not let me fly at all when I have that toggle for the Geo warnings turned off.

I have yet to encounter a place where the app will not let me fly at all when I have that toggle for the Geo warnings turned off.
Fire up your Mavic in an actual restricted flight zone (e.g. a commercial airport). It won't take off.

Fire up your Mavic in an actual restricted flight zone (e.g. a commercial airport). It won't take off.

hmm, I guess I never really tried that because I'd be too nervous flying that close to a commercial airport anyway. Generally I try to use some common sense and if I'm right at a major commercial airport or something like that, I wouldn't even consider flying anyway.

But when I'm at my office, there's a small regional airport with very little activity about 3 miles away. After that update it wouldn't let me take off, but after I toggled off the Geo System, I had no issues.

So what it sounds like is that when you flip off the Geo System you'll bypass any restrictions for yellow or green warnings, but the red zones override your system no matter what.

Generally I try to use some common sense and if I'm right at a major commercial airport or something like that, I wouldn't even consider flying anyway.
Right on. No worries though since you cannot fly there without unlocking such a location using the GEO system.

Don't take this the wrong way as I appreciate the information you provided, but in the interest of full educational disclosure I might add...

All well and good when it works, but I've had first hand experience recently that sometimes it doesn't.

1. In mid April on the Gulf coast, Geo was erroneously indicating that I was in class C airspace which simply was not the case. And I was well outside the 5 mile limit from ANY airport, heliport, or airstrip. It did not prevent me from flying in this case, so all turned out well.

2. In another instance, I was unlocked and authorized, started my flight and was forced to land, just before starting out over the Gulf of Mexico. After finding a wifi connection, and re-authorizing I continued the flight without incident. Again, other than the inconvenience of additional authorization and the scare of an imminent forced landing all turned out okay, but the potential for a loss was real.

I do not agree in principal with this kind of control over my product but I bought it with an understanding that it was the case. However, if they are going to impose this kind of restriction, it needs to be accurate and error free.

I also noticed in the video he said that to unlock, your "firmware has to be up to date". Kinda puts a kink in the old, delay updating firmware, or, let's rollback firmware method, to prevent unwanted issues with the latest and greatest firmware version. All well and good until you need to unlock a zone.

I really don't mean to sound unnecessarily negative, as I think the DJI technology is second to none, I'm just concerned about the direction they are going.

Reactions: Stonewall57335
I'm personally a bit annoyed by the NFZ system.
I don't know how it's like in your own country, but in mine (France) you are personally in charge of respecting the Law, for example no car is speed limited, everybody can buy a laser pointer or a knife. But if you badly use your knife, overspeed in your car or point at an airliner with your laser, then you may have troubles.
I often make the comparaison between laser pointers and drones at work:
Lasers are cheap, every dumb kid can buy one and threaten the safety of an aircraft, the public doesn't see them as a problem. But I deal with morons pointing at aircraft every single night at work.
Drones are mainly expensive and serve à define purpose, rules concerning them are strict and most people feel concerned because they don't want their activities, sometime their job, threatened.
And I never filed a single report concerning one.
By the way I'm an Air Traffic Controller -hence the feedback up there-, so I'm clearly aware of any paper dealing with UAVs here, and I'm also dealing with authorizing or not drones to take off in my region.
So, when I have to rely on the good will of a foreign country to fly in an area I'm personally in charge, and I'm still waiting for the unlock process, I fell a bit disappointed.
There should be an alternative firmware for Open Countries, just warning people about the Airspace Classes or local regulations, but allowing you to simply dismiss it.
Moreover I have people sure that if the DJI drone allow them to take off, they are complying with the local rules, but the NFZ are not accurate at all.
I may start another thread about that soon, some user named P0V here started some interesting work, but I have no success joining him. I hope he'll jump in the train.

Edit: **** that was a long post, sorry for that

Why wouldn't DJI Start by limiting the Ceiling in those NFZ's to 180 feet. I use to fly my Drone out with the kids in our yard, and follow my wife while she walked for exercise. This feature is very annoying, I mean I understand the path of the airplane with the landing or takeoff strip. But really, if you live at the base or within 5 miles of an Airport these things are useless!

Reactions: Msuttner
I Definitely agree. I'm new here, on this site but not a new pilot. Been piloting UAV's for years, have a 107, Etc. What I cannot seem to understand, just as Stonewall57335 said, the NFZ's are starting to really get Rediculous. Example: I have many Quad's, here in WI, the long cold winters, are Brutal but it doesn't keep me from flying. Recently took the Mavic Air, down a treacherous bluff, to film the Ice Waves, formed by Lake Michigan. -25° air makes the waves freeze in place. Hiked down the bluff, setup and booted... Only for the App to tell me "Cannot Takeoff" ! I was well beyond the 5 mile radius of any airport, helipad or even private strip. App prompted me to contact ATC, however this was different. I've Gone through the process of contacting ATC, waiting for clearance,etc. According to the App, I was in class E airspace, even hobbyists can fly in class E ! Anyways, like I said, it was -25° F. I would have been frozen, by the time I had clearance. Doesn't make sense to me and I've been working (getting clearance) with any ATC for years ! If I would have had any other of my Quad's with me, that aren't tied to the "SafeFly Database", I could of filmed incredible footage. Anyone have an answer as to what happened here ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60