DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How was this follow video achieved?

I bought Go Pros latest 360 camera and while it is a good camera the technology isn't quite ready. All of the compact, consumer 360 cameras have meh video quality, you really need a prosumer and 8k minimum to have clean/crisp 360. There is a 360 cam called the qoocam thats 8k but it also has it negative aspects (large, weak battery, not waterproof, terrible editing procedures). I tried to like 360 but what sealed it for me to return was that the lenses cannot be replaced if scratched and gopros answer to that was to pop on a plastic lens cover that further degraded video quality, whats the point? In the end, I returned and replaced with a GoPro 9 which is an excellent piece of equipment.

BLUF: If you're on the fence about 360, stay away until those compact cameras are at least 8k and have replaceable lenses.

Looks like a standard FPV drone racer flying. I got a couple of friends who are into the sport. Here is a video that has been posted and discussed about for quite some time here on the forum. Some of these people's fly skills are quite impressive.

Very skillful flying I’m sure but watching it just gives me a headache

As a drone user & mtn biker, I'm impressed by the follow capabilities of whatever custom race unit was used to follow/video this excellent rider through so many tight squeezes. Anyone here proficient with custom race drones to fill in how this was achieved? (I tried posting this in Photo/video showcase, but I couldn't select the proper prefix to permit post)

I'm guessing the rider wore a transmitter and that there was no hands on pilot. The drone did wander off more than once, which was followed by a cut. There were also sections that appeared to be controlled my a human pilot controlling pans & rear facing shots.

A local pal here did some impressive ride tests with a Skydio that followed him accurately along a winding trail with trees/foliage etc. It mostly stayed on track, and when obstacles were too dense, the unit flew up & forward, and relocated the subject quickly. This often added an interesting bird's eye view. But the trees/foliage in my buddy's test were nothing like those in this video.

It would be interesting to know what (customized?) hardware & techniques were used for this. Perhaps commercial units would now be capable? I know that my M2P would either stop, lose the rider, or crash in terrain like this. Is there any DJI unit that could do this? (Just to be clear, this was NOT my video)

I’m willing to bet that where it was spliced at was where they Crashed! Good Video though, I wish that I was a quarter that Good!????

While I’m equally awed as all of the previous posts by the drone piloting skills exhibited in the original video, as a bikepacking drone pilot I am also amazed by the descending skills of that cyclist!

I can imagine multiple takes for that video due to both drone and bike crashes.... If the whole thing was shot as one clean drop both of those folks are even more impressive.

Howard

Looks like a standard FPV drone racer flying. I got a couple of friends who are into the sport. Here is a video that has been posted and discussed about for quite some time here on the forum. Some of these people's fly skills are quite impressive.

I wonder what the learning curve is in becoming that skilled in flying a drone? Cost of drones, time input?

As a drone user & mtn biker, I'm impressed by the follow capabilities of whatever custom race unit was used to follow/video this excellent rider through so many tight squeezes. Anyone here proficient with custom race drones to fill in how this was achieved? (I tried posting this in Photo/video showcase, but I couldn't select the proper prefix to permit post)

I'm guessing the rider wore a transmitter and that there was no hands on pilot. The drone did wander off more than once, which was followed by a cut. There were also sections that appeared to be controlled my a human pilot controlling pans & rear facing shots.

A local pal here did some impressive ride tests with a Skydio that followed him accurately along a winding trail with trees/foliage etc. It mostly stayed on track, and when obstacles were too dense, the unit flew up & forward, and relocated the subject quickly. This often added an interesting bird's eye view. But the trees/foliage in my buddy's test were nothing like those in this video.

It would be interesting to know what (customized?) hardware & techniques were used for this. Perhaps commercial units would now be capable? I know that my M2P would either stop, lose the rider, or crash in terrain like this. Is there any DJI unit that could do this? (Just to be clear, this was NOT my video)

This is a DJI MAVIC forum here.....you did know that right?

That is a VERY well flown FPV drone.

Very very good flying there, and editing, but im more impressed with the rider (which I suppose is a testament to how well the filming was done to present him to the audience.) I lost count of the places/points/obstacles that would've stopped me dead in my tracks, or worse =)

Meanwhile, my poor old m2p (combined with my lackof practice) has a hell of a time on much simpler tracking.

Tracking my friend (starts at about 3:40) and the m2p lost him just a few frames after the cut at 3:55. Just flat out said 'nah, im done tracking, but this bush over here looks like something to lock onto...'

Between vids like that posted by the OP, and nerding out on PotatoJet, I've really been thinking fpv could be a path I need to go down.

While I’m equally awed as all of the previous posts by the drone piloting skills exhibited in the original video, as a bikepacking drone pilot I am also amazed by the descending skills of that cyclist!

I can imagine multiple takes for that video due to both drone and bike crashes.... If the whole thing was shot as one clean drop both of those folks are even more impressive.

Howard
definitely not a single take/run. i noticed one cliffy spot in the video that made two appearances in the timeline (and 2nd pass was with the sun lower in the sky.)

Guys got mad skills.

I wonder what the learning curve is in becoming that skilled in flying a drone? Cost of drones, time input?
I've found skill to fly depends on a few factors. It takes time, like learning to fly fixed wing airplanes. I'm not a good racing drone pilot yet and crash a lot. I could see that many would have problem learning to fly them and might not want to put in the time to learn. Some of my buddies could never get used to the goggles others don't have issues. As far as price, most racing drones use the same equipment as fixed wing RC flying. My radio (controller) runs all my aircraft including my racing drones and they use common batteries I use in many of my airplanes so it's fairly inexpensive for me. Price for the drones themselves varies but are fairly cheap compared to DJI equipment. Fat shark goggles are kind of pricey but other manufactures make many different styles that can be bought for lower prices. The drones themselves can be bought complete for the most part or built totally from scratch. One of my better drones is a old vortex 250 pro & came almost ready to fly so I only needed to install the receiver. I practice at a park with acres of grass and no trees so when I crash, about the worst is prop damage. I will say some of these things are dangerous. Many reach very high speeds. One of my buddies came at me about 70 MPH, flew over my vehicle and skipped across the parking lot for about 200 feet. Scratched it up a bit and needed new props but no other real damage...some are really built tough. But drones like the tiny whoop models can be flown inside the house.
As far as RID, I'll have to get a ID transmitter if the FAA has a future requirement to be compliant.
Just like most sports, it takes time to learn and some will always be better than others but safe to say flying a racing drone is night and day to flying a stabilized camera drone.
I have been looking at DJI's intro into the racing drone field. Wonder how well the FPV resolution is compared to something like newer Fat Shark display along with video quality.

Reactions: Edh
Thanks Dave for The information. I fly my M2Z with FPV frequently. I’ve enjoyed making a bunch of videos of my grandkids skiing surfing paddle boarding Wakeboarding but flying these FPV racing drones seems like another level and a lot of fun. I wonder if people who become proficient at flying racing drones ever go back to flying drones like the Mavic 2 pros.

... I wonder if people who become proficient at flying racing drones ever go back to flying drones like the Mavic 2 pros.
Oh I'd say yes if phototography or video imagery is your main mission. I suspect the newer racing drones models have a better video feed and camera these days compared to my vortex. But even my old MP has a really good camera probably better than most racing quads. My racing drones get crashed all the time and even my buddies who are great pilots crash. I would never try flying my Mavic like my racing drones but for photography, DJI has a huge edge IMO.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22