DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How windy is too windy?

J1mmy

Reactions
Hi everyone, im finding it very difficult trying to find a window of opportunity to fly my MPP as it always seems to be quite windy.
On my UAV Forecast app, i have the wind gust limit set at 20mph at 200ft and it is hardly ever in the green.
Am i being too cautious here? What do other folks think are acceptable conditions to fly?
Any opinions are appreciated, thanks.

I like flying in wind with a maximum of 25 mph at the 300 to 400 ft altitude range. It’s a challenge and entertaining, with no intentions of taking videos. With those conditions, I try to find a low wind area close to my house for takeoff and landing. I turn off forward vision so I have some speed margin going into the wind. If I get in trouble, I switch to Sport mode for greater speed margin.

For entertainment, I hover upwind at higher altitudes and let the wind carry the MPP back to me. Then lower the altitude (and lower wind speed), and watch it travel back upwind on its own with no stick input to the original upwind position. I’m easily entertained! ?

Reactions: J1mmy
20 mph is fine with the MPP - I would start to worry around 40 mph - practice flying without sport mode and if you can still move a bit you are ok - if you feel it is too windy then just use sport mode to bring the bird home - after a while you will get used to "what is too windy" - if you are nervous then practice in a wide open space - also practice blind landings all the time as you never know when you have to emergency land !!

...On my UAV Forecast app, i have the wind gust limit set at 20mph at 200ft and it is hardly ever in the green.
Am i being too cautious here? What do other folks think are acceptable conditions to fly?
Any opinions are appreciated, thanks.
Use the app for general information but use the trees and clouds for actual location specific info. A wind gust of 20mph should be no problem; it is the sustained wind that you need to watch. If concerned then change height and plan your flight for a tailwind back to landing. Use sport mode if it cannot make much progress against a wind.

I shoot longrifle to distances up to 1000 yards. We use wind meters so we know how much to hold or dial on the scope. 10mph is what we would consider full value. Anything above 10mph is a lot of wind. It takes less than 15mph to knock down lawn or picnic chairs.

I've flown in winds gusting up to 15mph. Not something I would do normally, but I wanted to see if my MP or MPP can handle it. They both can along with my new Mini, but they struggle flying upwind. Sport mode provides minimal speed increase. I've seen videos of the MP in winds up to 25mph, but it struggles to maintain position. Forget about doing any lateral movements.

My comfort zone is up to 10mph gusting to 12mph max. I question claims of "no problem" anything above that.

Reactions: J1mmy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman