DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Howto : tilted double-grid mission for 3D photogrammetry ?

Any thoughts on the above ? Must one manually set all camera settings even before plotting the mission and if so, will Dronelink automatically capture afterwards?
Sorry, getting busy here at work. I am trying to see if there is a good way to edit the KML files in order to change the elevations of the fight paths by adding the desired AGL value to the ground elevation as read from GE’s DEM’s. Im rusty at programming, so its a good learning project for me!

as for programing the camera, doesn’t Dronelink’s mapping grid tool add it by default? Some preset the camera (manual infinity focus and locked exposure) in DJI Go4 and then return to the mapping app.

as for programing the camera, doesn’t Dronelink’s mapping grid tool add it by default?
nops. It returned me mission failure. I had to first set 'stop camera' mode, then configuring the settings and only then 'start camera mode' in order not to get the failure. It's not the most logical way of proceeding obviously. Why should i have to 'stop' the camera when it's in the default 'rest mode' anyway ? I'd only have to send a command when i want it to start capturing... But anyway, i guess this is part of the learning curve...

nops. It returned me mission failure. I had to first set 'stop camera' mode, then configuring the settings and only then 'start camera mode' in order not to get the failure. It's not the most logical way of proceeding obviously. Why should i have to 'stop' the camera when it's in the default 'rest mode' anyway ? I'd only have to send a command when i want it to start capturing... But anyway, i guess this is part of the learning curve...

I’m not sure why that isn’t working. I tried it with no issues. This is turning into a good question for @dronelink

You don't have to create any custom commands to get the map component to start capturing images. Note that trying to capture RAW at a 2 sec interval is never going to work (hardware limitation). Feel free to post a link to the mission plan if you think there is a bug. I would recommend posting in our forums if you want a faster response time.

The learning curve is getting steeper! Now I've made a new terrain following flight path based on using Google Earth DEM's and my sample Dronelink KML file edited using Excel!

Here's basically how:

AGL Adjusted waypoints.jpg

Now I still have to figure out how to get it back into Dronelink. Once I get it right I will write instructions on it.

I am also going to migrate this over to the Dronelink Forum to get some help with this...

Last edited:
Reactions: imavicpilots
Thanks for all the feedback. Looking forward to the results of your testing. Question : if i want to do a single grid mission with pictures every 2 or 3 seconds, what are the proper settings in DL ? I had set capture mode/photo and Min Capture interval/2 seconds, yielding error, changing to 3 seconds not helping. So do i need to change settings on my MPP ?

Thanks for all the feedback. Looking forward to the results of your testing. Question : if i want to do a single grid mission with pictures every 2 or 3 seconds, what are the proper settings in DL ? I had set capture mode/photo and Min Capture interval/2 seconds, yielding error, changing to 3 seconds not helping. So do i need to change settings on my MPP ?
Dronelink manages the camera photo mode and interval for you unless you select none for the capture mode (meaning you either don't want it to capturing anything - uses cases like manual search and rescue, or you intend to use custom settings):

1571228485041.png

Drone Harmony also flies a double grid, and other assorted missions right from the app. I haven't used the double grid mission so I can't comment on it. I have used other missions and it they worked flawlessly. I also think I paid a modest amount for the app, around $20.

Just started working with Dronelink and it also looks promising. Wish I could plan missions from the app though.

Drone Harmony also flies a double grid, and other assorted missions right from the app. I haven't used the double grid mission so I can't comment on it. I have used other missions and it they worked flawlessly. I also think I paid a modest amount for the app, around $20.

Just started working with Dronelink and it also looks promising. Wish I could plan missions from the app though.

Those programs are great, especially for flat ground, but they all lack in the same area that they are not terrain following while doing photo grids, which means the image resolution changes based on distance from the altering AGL the drone is flying above uneven ground, as shown in my grid image example (post #25) above.

The main issue this causes is that one cannot make accurate measurements using the photos, and requires stair stepping many smaller grid missions to get higher resolution images of hillsides over one larger grid that covers the same area at a constant terrain following AGL.

Last edited:
Hi, i did stumble upon it the other day and its complement MapPilot. I've been delving into the DL tuts lately and it seems less scary than in the beginning. It has great potential. If they could just integrate some decent terrain following and a more user-friendly UI, I believe this is the nec plus ultra for any drone mapping.
Drone Harmony excellent program

Hi, I'm new to the drone world. I'd like to put my new mavic pro titanium drone to the best use.
I'd like to use it for 3D photogrammetry.
Apparently, the best way of doing this is through a double-grid mission (not just waypoints or orbits), but when checking available (free) software, it seems to me only Pix4D has this implemented. Is this correct ? It doesn't seem to be the case in DJI GO 4 or Litchi.
I did recently found out about the free version of Dronelink, which looks amazing. Would this be the nec plus ultra app for drone mapping and if so, is it easy to create double-grid missions with it ?
Before I forget : some of my missions involve slopes. Is it easily possible to set different heights for the drone upon such missions ?
Thanks for any help on this...

GS Pro. Free. You're welcome.

D

I've tried every app out there, Dronedeploy is the best option as of today for 2d/3d orthomosaics. You can use DD for free to create missions and send waypoints to your UAS, just dont upload the photos to DD. I then edit the photos in lightroom via batch cmds to really make it look great. Use metashape and import edited photos and start a batch workflow, few hours later I have my map in geotiff, kmz, and if 3d as an object. Use GDAL2tiles to convert a 2d map into a leaflet tileset so you can access via mobile/web and easily share. Setting up your own web server is best but there are cheap options out there. As for 3d, I share that via sketchfab which is free.

Reactions: Bramavic2
Hi, I'm new to the drone world. I'd like to put my new mavic pro titanium drone to the best use.
Apparently, the best way of doing this is through a double-grid mission (not just waypoints or orbits), but when checking available (free) software, it seems to me only Pix4D has this implemented. Is this correct ? It doesn't seem to be the case in DJI GO 4 or Litchi.
I did recently found out about the free version of Dronelink, which looks amazing. Would this be the nec plus ultra app for drone mapping and if so, is it easy to create double-grid missions with it ?
Before I forget : some of my missions involve slopes. Is it easily possible to set different heights for the drone upon such missions ?

Hey, Dronelink now has “terrain following” for setting consistent height AGL for each photopoint or waypoint along paths, rows and grids!!!

Here are a list (with a link to the brand new Dronelink 101 Video):

• Import Of Litchi Missions
  • Import Of KML/KMZ Missions From Google Earth
  • AGL (Above Ground Level) Support for Destination Components, Paths, and Maps
  • AGL Support Overview
  • AGL Support Of Litchi/Google Earth

Last edited:
Reactions: dronelink
might want to check out Drone Harmony

For photos (mapping), I use Map Pilot. "Terrain Awareness" has been built into Map Pilot for a while via Shuttle RADAR Topology Mission (SRTM).

What I like about Map Pilot is that I can fly single grid or double grid polygons, including inside polygons.

WestMission_Expanded.JPG

The real bonus is "Connectionless" corridor missions. The below mission is a 14 mile corridor. Without the ability to upload Waypoint data and allow the drone to fly completely autonomously, I would not be able to take on these jobs.

As you can see in the photo below, this corridor was split up into 4 missions; North-1, North-2, South-1 and South-2. This was due to battery limitations.

MRGCD_Missions.jpg

Map Pilot allows me to control how many flight lines contained within those missions down to 1 flight line if need be. This is perfect for LIDAR mapping because we usually follow the drone in a vehicle and then land at the end of the mission, NOT at the original Home Point.

MissionApproval.JPG

Or I can program up to 9 flight lines, I believe. Because I can do odd or even flight lines, I can set the corridor mission up so the bird returns home (and takes photos on the way back). Or, if I wish to follow the bird, I can set the mission up with a single flight line. The Terrain Awareness has been huge, because some of our jobs have had as much as 500' of elevation from lowest to highest points.

Drone Link looks a lot like Autopilot, which is what I use for collecting *video* data. For "construction progress" jobs, Autopilot is my goto program.

D

Last edited:
For photos (mapping), I use Map Pilot. "Terrain Awareness" has been built into Map Pilot for a while via Shuttle RADAR Topology Mission (SRTM).

What I like about Map Pilot is that I can fly single grid or double grid polygons, including inside polygons.

View attachment 79

The real bonus is "Connectionless" corridor missions. The below mission is a 14 mile corridor. Without the ability to upload Waypoint data and allow the drone to fly completely autonomously, I would not be able to take on these jobs.

As you can see in the photo below, this corridor was split up into 4 missions; North-1, North-2, South-1 and South-2. This was due to battery limitations.

Map Pilot allows me to control how many flight lines contained within those missions down to 1 flight line if need be. This is perfect for LIDAR mapping because we usually follow the drone in a vehicle and then land at the end of the mission, NOT at the original Home Point.

Or I can program up to 9 flight lines, I believe. Because I can do odd or even flight lines, I can set the corridor mission up so the bird returns home (and takes photos on the way back). Or, if I wish to follow the bird, I can set the mission up with a single flight line. The Terrain Awareness has been huge, because some of our jobs have had as much as 500' of elevation from lowest to highest points.

Drone Link looks a lot like Autopilot, which is what I use for collecting *video* data. For "construction progress" jobs, Autopilot is my goto program.

D

Does this app work offline?

Does this app work offline?

It's funny you should ask that question. ALL my jobs are off-line 100% of the time. I cache maps and SRTM data the night before and then head out to lands far, far away from Internet and even cell service. This is why I use legacy firmware and software, because DJI often tries to dig their dirty little mitts into my drone, my life, my missions, my work and my livelihood at the worst times when I'm miles from Internet or cell service. I don't have time for tests or new EULA's or randomly-generated new NFZ's. I've been shut down in the field by DJI ONCE. Never again. But I digress...

I hope this answers your question.

D

It's funny you should ask that question. ALL my jobs are off-line 100% of the time. I cache maps and SRTM data the night before and then head out to lands far, far away from Internet and even cell service. This is why I use legacy firmware and software, because DJI often tries to dig their dirty little mitts into my drone, my life, my missions, my work and my livelihood at the worst times when I'm miles from Internet or cell service. I don't have time for tests or new EULA's or randomly-generated new NFZ's. I've been shut down in the field by DJI ONCE. Never again. But I digress...

D

You answered indirectly ?. I'm with you on DJI annoyances while flying in remote areas, where I do 90% of my flying. I've actually modified the AC firmware on my MPP and removed all restrictions thanks to Bretts super patcher. I looked into the app, no android version, too bad I'll have to stick with dronedeploy.

D
Donny- does it work with Mavics? They are not listed in the equipment required list.

You answered indirectly ?. I'm with you on DJI annoyances while flying in remote areas, where I do 90% of my flying. I've actually modified the AC firmware on my MPP and removed all restrictions thanks to Bretts super patcher. I looked into the app, no android version, too bad I'll have to stick with dronedeploy.

Let me know how DroneDeploy works out.

Features I look for:

* Double Grid capability
* Corridor mission capability
* Terrain aware
* Camera tilt control during mission
* Connectionless missions
* Camera exposure control (pre-launch)
* Ability to share missions across devices (iPad uses "Airdrop")
* Inside polygon missions
* Ability to import .kml files
* Ability to export mission files to a Windows machine so that they can be called up months or years later (Map Pilot used to allow this, but now it's a hack)

I personally don't care for the Android devices, but if it works, it works! Let us know how it works out.

D

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard