DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Humpback whale study / drone footage

MAvic_South_Oz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Besides the nice drone perspective from above, some great close underwater footage that would rarely be possible.
They used non-invasive suction-cup tags equipped with cameras, recorders, pressure sensors and accelerometers on seven humpback whale calves.
Shot off Maui, Hawaii in Feb 2020, posted yesterday to YouTube.

Besides the nice drone perspective from above, some great close underwater footage that would rarely be possible.
They used non-invasive suction-cup tags equipped with cameras, recorders, pressure sensors and accelerometers on seven humpback whale calves.

Thanks for sharing that! There is still so much to learn about these amazing mammals.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Most excellent and very fascinating! Thanks for posting.

What make/model drones were used?

I tried finding that earlier via the YT description etc, usually it's listed, but nothing to be found there.
Dug a bit deeper into the MMRP website, and person that produced the video, his name is Martin Van Aswegan.
A quick Google search found he's a photog for Nat Geo, and his bio is here . . .

This has a pic of him and a drone, could be an Inspire ?
Or maybe they used something else on that shoot.

Reactions: bumper

Wonderful, fabulous footage. Really loved it all. Fascinating from frame one to the end! Nice subtle music in the background too.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Thanks MSO...absolutely beautiful and food for the soul (loved the little fish enjoying a 'milk-shake along with the calf).

Peaceful right ?
Yeah the milk spillage was much prized by those 'hangers on' . . . they knew exactly what was coming.

I really like the underwater shot where you could see right into the mother Humpbacks eye, how slow the eye moved.
Certainly beautiful footage from the air and underwater, I hope these creatures are left in peace, not hunted, and the oceans can be grdually cleaned up of plastic etc.
We really are a terrible species, they things we humans can do to a planet.

Peaceful right ?
Yeah the milk spillage was much prized by those 'hangers on' . . . they knew exactly what was coming.

I really like the underwater shot where you could see right into the mother Humpbacks eye, how slow the eye moved.
Certainly beautiful footage from the air and underwater, I hope these creatures are left in peace, not hunted, and the oceans can be grdually cleaned up of plastic etc.
We really are a terrible species, they things we humans can do to a planet.

Agree on all your commentary (your comments across a range of forum subjects has been informative and backed by your experiences, so credible). Thanks for finding and sharing as you do.

Agree on all your commentary (your comments across a range of forum subjects has been informative and backed by your experiences, so credible). Thanks for finding and sharing as you do.

Thanks MM, can't wait for CV risks to abate a bit nd get out again for some flying.
We might have to catch up and have a fly somewhere.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spawnn