DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Humpback Whales feeding off of Long Island

RoarRoar

Reactions
Purely right place at the right time.

This was roughly about 700 feet off shore in East Quogue, NY off of Dune Road (for those that know this area). I had LAANC clearance from Gabreski Airport to 100 feet. I basically hovered at 99 feet and just gradually moved the drone west following the feeding.

I was more than far enough away to not interfere with anything. They are not easy to track so I apologize for the jumpy clips. Even after flying for what seems like years adrenaline still kicks in and you need to focus on the basics of safety.

This video isn’t a masterpiece it’s not really good at all just wanted to get it together quick since my friends and family wanted to see it right away.

Last edited:
This was roughly about 700 feet off shore in East Quogue, NY off of Dune Road (for those that know this area). I had LAANC clearance from Gabreski Airport to 100 feet. I basically hovered at 99 feet and just gradually moved the drone west following the feeding.

I was more than far enough away to not interfere with anything. They are not east to track so I apologize for the jumpy clips. Even after flying for what seems like years adrenaline still kicks in and you need to focus on the basics of safety.

This video isn’t a masterpiece it’s not really good at all just wanted to get it together quick since my friends and family wanted to see it right away.

You were very lucky to get that footage. I would have been excited too!

Reactions: RoarRoar
Wow! You were in the right place at the right time. Nice job on capturing the video. Thanks for posting it.

I had no idea that Humpbacks came so close to shore. That vertical feeding behavior is pretty dramatic. I've seen Whale Sharks doing it 100+ miles out in the Gulf of Mexico from a Cessna 182. We were spotting for a group of scientists who were putting satellite trackers on the sharks.

Great shots. When you are lucky enough to capture stuff like that the quality of the video is not important. I thought it was good as is. Thanks for sharing.

Purely right place at the right time.

I was more than far enough away to not interfere with anything. They are not easy to track so I apologize for the jumpy clips. Even after flying for what seems like years adrenaline still kicks in and you need to focus on the basics of safety.

Nice capture, great video.

Heart in the mouth stuff RR. Brilliant work, so difficult to capture it. We see so much footage on TV of these guys feeding it’s almost more fun to see it how you have captured it. We all know that they coral their prey and force them up to the surface where, with their huge mouths open, they scoop a few ton of whatever they’re after in one big gulp. Thanks for being there and sharing.

Being from Minnesota your video sharing of those whales is very unique, for a lack of a better words ! Thank you for sharing.

You were very lucky to get that footage. I would have been excited too!
I suspect tripod mode is out of the question if you are trying to keep up. Did you get any wind warnings? I had opportunity to shoot from a boat in Alaska with 600mm and want to do it again. Getting drone footage would be awesome too.

I suspect tripod mode is out of the question if you are trying to keep up. Did you get any wind warnings? I had opportunity to shoot from a boat in Alaska with 600mm and want to do it again. Getting drone footage would be awesome too.

It was a pretty calm day so no real wind issues. I had gone to the same spot later in the week but and it was significantly gustier. The Northeast beaches can be hit or miss this time of year weather and wind wise.

Reactions: Paul Stocum
Lucky! Nice job flying.

FYI: NOAA is the US agency that protects marine mammals. The FAA followed NOAA guidance for manned aircraft flying over whales.

Based on your footage, I don't think you were disturbing those whales. NOAA says "Avoid flying drones, or unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), near animals. The noise and close proximity of drones can harass the animals and cause stress." The word "near" is open to interpretation.

They go on to say "NOAA Fisheries is currently developing national guidance for drone (or UAS) operations targeting marine mammals and sea turtles. Until then, NOAA Fisheries reminds the public that dolphins, whales, seals, and sea lions are protected species and harming or disturbing them can be a violation of federal law."

I think the future rules for drones will closely match the rules for vessels: "Remain at least 100 yards from whales and at least 50 yards away from dolphins, porpoises, seals, and sea lions. Federal law has specific distance requirements for some species."

Fly safe.

Reactions: MS Coast

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat