DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Humpback Whales feeding near Long Beach Island, NJ

RoarRoar

Reactions
I had a similar encounter in the Hamptons earlier this summer. I had heard reports of Whales near Long Beach Island. I did some research and went out mid day. I walked over the first dune I saw and boom 2 whales feeding on schools of bunker.

Getting halfway decent drone footage of whales is hard. They swim really fast when they are eating and you see them, they go under, then they surface 1000 feet away.

At the closest they were about 700 feet from shore.

(Some was shot with the Air2s some with the Mavic Pro Platinum)

How close are you allowed to approach them where you are?

Here we're not allowed to get closer than 500m to whales. I know it's good for their welfare, but at the same time it makes our work harder.

Here we're not allowed to get closer than 500m to whales. I know it's good for their welfare, but at the same time it makes our work harder.
500 metres!! 🤣🤣🤣 You have to wonder who dreams up these crazy rules.

These 30 tonne humpback whales are unfazed by 2.5 tonne great white sharks. Neither of them is going to be concerned by a 0.5kg drone, which makes less noise than a seagull.

If people really want to protect whales, stop the Japanese whaling vessels from harpooning them.

I had a similar encounter in the Hamptons earlier this summer. I had heard reports of Whales near Long Beach Island. I did some research and went out mid day. I walked over the first dune I saw and boom 2 whales feeding on schools of bunker.

Getting halfway decent drone footage of whales is hard. They swim really fast when they are eating and you see them, they go under, then they surface 1000 feet away.

At the closest they were about 700 feet from shore.

(Some was shot with the Air2s some with the Mavic Pro Platinum)
Spectacular footage, thank you for sharing!

Reactions: RoarRoar
Drones would have absolutely no effect on the whales, but rules are rules, who makes them depends on who is in charge at any given time.
If it’s one thing I’ve learnt from raising kids, if you make strict rules that are restrictive and make no sense whatsoever, those rules are going to get broken, regardless of the consequences/punishment.

Wonderful video RR! I'd be tempted to check 'em out, too. But my A2s is en-route back from DJI (replacement). And I wouldn't attempt with my Mini2.

Here we're not allowed to get closer than 500m to whales. I know it's good for their welfare, but at the same
Wonderful video RR! I'd be tempted to check 'em out, too. But my A2s is en-route back from DJI (replacement). And I wouldn't attempt with my Mini2.

Yeah I would certainly recommend a drone that can handle wind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh