DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse and cache

mintakax

Reactions
I'm not sure if this is a SC issue or exists for all controllers. I have a 64gb sd card in my SC, but have not paid any attention to the cache.This morning I was in the middle of a 200 pic hyperlapse when a message popped up saying the cache was full. My setup writes RAW frames to the M2P SD card which was a freshly formatted 64gb. The hyperlapse continued and it appeared to go through and complete the "synthesize video" process yet no frames were recorded on the M2P SD since the time when the cache message appeared. Why should the SC cache prevent the recording of frames to the AC SD card ? I get that it didn't write anymore to the SC cache, but it seems reasonable to continue writing to the AC SD, especially since the hyperlapse process continued. I have since changed the cache settings.

Reactions: E90RAW
I'm not sure if this is a SC issue or exists for all controllers. I have a 64gb sd card in my SC, but have not paid any attention to the cache.This morning I was in the middle of a 200 pic hyperlapse when a message popped up saying the cache was full. My setup writes RAW frames to the M2P SD card which was a freshly formatted 64gb. The hyperlapse continued and it appeared to go through and complete the "synthesize video" process yet no frames were recorded on the M2P SD since the time when the cache message appeared. Why should the SC cache prevent the recording of frames to the AC SD card ? I get that it didn't write anymore to the SC cache, but it seems reasonable to continue writing to the AC SD, especially since the hyperlapse process continued. I have since changed the cache settings.
I cant explain the reasoning or mechanics behind it, I can only say it occurs. You can set the cache to a larger amount or clean it up periodically. (sorry, just saw you already did that) Also I think you can reduce the quality of the cache as it grows. The SC(I have one for each of my M2P and M2Z) is tricky when attempting to get the saved videos/pictures(in my experience). My computer doesnt recognize the drone nor the SC and I. Anyway, I digress. I have gotten the same messages about the cache and I make sure I clear when Im going to capture video. Also 64K is not alot for the type of video your capturing. 128K is the best, and make sure its a high speed card. I periodically go thru and delete items I have already downloaded and do not need anymore to open up space. I have a 128 in the SC and one in the drone. I dont use the drone memory. Hope that helps.

I cant explain the reasoning or mechanics behind it, I can only say it occurs. You can set the cache to a larger amount or clean it up periodically. (sorry, just saw you already did that) Also I think you can reduce the quality of the cache as it grows. The SC(I have one for each of my M2P and M2Z) is tricky when attempting to get the saved videos/pictures(in my experience). My computer doesnt recognize the drone nor the SC and I. Anyway, I digress. I have gotten the same messages about the cache and I make sure I clear when Im going to capture video. Also 64K is not alot for the type of video your capturing. 128K is the best, and make sure its a high speed card. I periodically go thru and delete items I have already downloaded and do not need anymore to open up space. I have a 128 in the SC and one in the drone. I dont use the drone memory. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Oh I have never even come close to filling up a 64gb (not K) card. I always fly from my back yard so I'm always close to my editing computer. I could probably fit 4 or 5 - 250 frame RAW hyperlapse sessions on a 64GB card. For hyperlapse, I never need the files from the SC, just the RAW files from the drone card.

Good advice about frequent clearing of cache, thanks!

I have my cache turned off. Don't care about saving it to my meager memory of my iPad (32 GB). All video goes straight to a huge 128 GM SD card, which has never run out on me, and I format it religiously after every session.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones