DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse Issue

You know, you can stabilize 8k hyperlapse using adobe premiere...

I gave up my Adobe Suite a year ago and have no intentions of giving Adobe one more penny.

But, that doesn't answer the question -- is the higher resolution 8K hyperlapse troubled with shacking or other defects as has been reported elsewhere? Can anyone here on this board confirm this or not? If I'm required to fix in post what should have to be fixed at all then there's a problem!

Brian

...is the higher resolution 8K hyperlapse troubled with shacking or other defects as has been reported elsewhere?

I dont have the drone but shaking being a problem of 8K hyperlapse is just something expected. Hyperlapse must be stabilized in post ( by the drone or by other software ) so there is always some cropping. Check out the hyperlapse footages in my post ( #10 ). It can be seen that the footage synthesized by the drone is heavily cropped. That's because of stabilization. 8K hyperlapse is made from 48 MP still which has 8K horizontal resolution. That leaves zero room for any cropping so no stabilization is possible. You can do it in post but the resolution will be reduced.

To me, 48 MP still and 8K video are just gimmicks for 1/2 inch sensors.

Last edited:
Add to this the fact that the 8K version has a minimum interval of 6 seconds, which will increase the amount of shakiness because of the large time difference between frames.

Also, there are no RAW stills, you just get the final video.

I gave up my Adobe Suite a year ago and have no intentions of giving Adobe one more penny.

But, that doesn't answer the question -- is the higher resolution 8K hyperlapse troubled with shacking or other defects as has been reported elsewhere? Can anyone here on this board confirm this or not? If I'm required to fix in post what should have to be fixed at all then there's a problem!

Brian
Well I’m not condoning it, but you can always go the black market route to get Adobe products.
As for 8k hyperlapse, you really need to understand how it works.
With 8k hyperlapse the entire camera sensor is being used, so there’s little to no wiggle room left over for the post process to stabilize it. When you capture 1080p hyperlapse, the drones post process is able to stabilize it because of the available room left on the camera sensor for it to “adjust” to.
There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s the nature of it.

The difference is not in the contrast but the amount of information available for editing. The footage from raw stills can be made to look exactly like that out of the drone but the reverse cannot be done.

As the difference is between raw stills and heavily compressed H264/265 video. It is not the privilege of M2P but can be seen on all other models that can store raw stills of hyperlapse.
Understood, but I was expressing a preference for the default hyperlapse high contrast video instead of the HDR created flat video, which looks artificial to me, even though more detail is visible in the shadows. I just don't see the appeal of going to all that extra work for a result that looks worse to me, and is so short that no one else will likely appreciate all the extra effort that went into creating it. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Understood, but I was expressing a preference for the default hyperlapse high contrast video instead of the HDR created flat video, which looks artificial to me, even though more detail is visible in the shadows. I just don't see the appeal of going to all that extra work for a result that looks worse to me, and is so short that no one else will likely appreciate all the extra effort that went into creating it. De gustibus non est disputandum.
You're describing the difference between a professional and an amateur. Some will definitely appreciate the extra work and higher resolution.

Lol. Indeed.

Better still, someone show me a time lapse video taken with a drone where one skips 59 frames per 1 that is even vaguely watchable.
Why would the one frame be "vaguely watchable? 4K at 24fps at 100mbps produces still frame extracts that are roughly 5MB each, capable of printing a decent 8x10 print.

You're describing the difference between a professional and an amateur. Some will definitely appreciate the extra work and higher resolution.
Is your work being consumed by a professional or an amateur? Do they even appreciste the difference? Are they also willing to pay 10x more for the superior result, to reflect the difference in labor between the two methods? I have stated previously that you and I and pixel peepers might appreciate it, but will the client pay for the extra work required?

Is your work being consumed by a professional or an amateur? Do they even appreciste the difference? Are they also willing to pay 10x more for the superior result, to reflect the difference in labor between the two methods? I have stated previously that you and I and pixel peepers might appreciate it, but will the client pay for the extra work required?
Depends on the client really. If I were a client myself and I wanted the best work, yes I would notice sub-par work. If you're competing for business and the clients review samples from an amateur vs a professional, you as a professional better hope your work stands out, that's why you put in the extra work - get more clients and maybe because you're a perfectionist.

Please tell us your secret for hand-flying for 20 minutes, with aircraft and camera moves that still look smooth when sped up 30x. I admit I'm new, but I sure as hell can't do that.
Been doing it for 5 years. Practice makes perfect. Most of the automated shooting modes are better performed manually by a skilled pilot. However, the convenience and speed of the automated methods may be good enough where time is money, or flight time is limited, or the pilot lacks the skills to perform them manually. In today's instant gratification society, the immediacy of sharing on social media trumps a superior result delivered later. DJI figured this out a long time ago. Anyone can now shoot shots only professionals could shoot previously.

Depends on the client really. If I were a client myself and I wanted the best work, yes I would notice sub-par work. If you're competing for business and the clients review samples from an amateur vs a professional, you as a professional better hope your work stands out, that's why you put in the extra work - get more clients and maybe because you're a perfectionist.
Completely agree. As long as the client appreciates the difference, and is willing to pay for the extra work necessary, it's worthwhile! I used to be a perfectionist, but now the standard is good enough to keep the client happy.

By that logic, we can all use a Tello because 720p is enough for most :)

Bottom line, we already have a mode purposely built for this exact scenario, why are you trying to find a way to minimize the downsides of using a normal speeded up video?.... You won’t be able to get the nice smooth shutter speed no matter what you do and you won’t get the smooth flying the SDK is supported and Litchi enables it.
Well, Litchi already supports it on the M2P, which is my primary aircraft, so, for me, it's a non-issue. I also have full manual control over exposure, if needed, within the limits of video shutter speed. M2P sensor also superior to the MA2 in low light, if you are shooting night scenes as hyperlapses. Would the client see the difference between the M2P and the MA2? Would they perceive the MA2 as not professional enough? Ideally, they only care about the results. The MA2 is likely good enough. Everything in photography and video is a series of compromises.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tansh