DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse or just fast fwd in post?

DJI DelBoy

Reactions
Hi all, just want your opinion on this question. Hyperlapses take time - something which you don’t always have much of with drone batteries. I read a comment on YouTube recently where the person suggested doing a normal recording and then fast forwarding in post.

That makes sense as it saves time compared to waiting anything from 5-10mins or more for a hyperlapse lasting only about 5 or 10 seconds.

Which is better? A normal hyperlapses (Mavic 2) or just fast forwarding a regular video? Also, how do you switch of that annoying shutter sound effect? I tried flicking the silent switch on the side of my iPhone but that didn’t do anything, nor did lowering the volume.

Thanks in advance for all your comments.

That obviously doesn't get the same result. The whole point of hyperlapse mode is fast background movement with slow camera movement.

You could get the same by filming video while moving slow in tripod mode, but to get the same result it would take the same time, and you'd have to hold the stick the whole time.

Not sure why it’s broken. That’s a link to another thread here on the forum. When I click on it now it’s broken. But wasn’t when I pasted it yesterday.

I’ll try again.

Very strange
Jack Bisson has this really good video up that showed how to make some really cool time lapse, with motion blur etc. Really nice work.

I just went to his YouTube channel and there is only 8 videos on it for some reason... the one in the link I posted is no longer visible.

Here is what it looks like when he is done with it

Maybe message him on his channel and see if he will share his process. I wish I recall all the steps he documented.

Hi all, just want your opinion on this question. Hyperlapses take time - something which you don’t always have much of with drone batteries. I read a comment on YouTube recently where the person suggested doing a normal recording and then fast forwarding in post.

That makes sense as it saves time compared to waiting anything from 5-10mins or more for a hyperlapse lasting only about 5 or 10 seconds.

Which is better? A normal hyperlapses (Mavic 2) or just fast forwarding a regular video? Also, how do you switch of that annoying shutter sound effect? I tried flicking the silent switch on the side of my iPhone but that didn’t do anything, nor did lowering the volume.

Thanks in advance for all your comments.

I will also take a shot at addressing your original question without my example video.

The best time lapse output I have seen is the sample video I linked above by jack bisson. To get that effect he filmed the whole thing in video mode but moved the drone very very slow. He then speeds it up in post and uses uses frame blending. He had a specific way in which he did it. He had worked out a specific percent of speed up, used frame blending, Did this over several passes to get the speed he wanted. And at the end of it, he stabilized the footage so there was no camera movement he didn’t want.

There is no short cut for a good time lapse. You will take the same amount of time in the air to film good footage to use whether it’s native time-lapse of the mavic or filming in video mode then speeding up like described above in post. The difference is the process that jack used l think looks way better for end result than the native time lapse built into the mavic pro.

But his process takes lots of extra time in post process to get looking like the sample. For me, worth it. But you may not think so.

If you simply film footage when flying at normal speed and not really slow, you will not have a time lapse effect. It will just look like speed up video.

I hope that clears things up more and helps you decide on your approach.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne