DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse sunset

AnzacJack

Australian Defence Veteran
Reactions
has anyone tried this. I had a go at it last night but not super impressed with outcome. Problem is obviously the changing light over the time frame.
Any hints or tricks would be much appreciated.
I was attempting to get the sun going down behind the city as the city lights all come on

Reactions: PTBperegrine
has anyone tried this. I had a go at it last night but not super impressed with outcome. Problem is obviously the changing light over the time frame.
Any hints or tricks would be much appreciated.
I was attempting to get the sun going down behind the city as the city lights all come on
Did you mean to attach a file or link to that post?

Reactions: hactick
I’ve still got to try the “hyperlapse” out, keep saying I’ll do it but never get round to it...

Seeing both vids here has definitely pushed me to have a go, good job to both??

I’ve done a few and have been happy (more work required than letting the drone put it together, for good results) but this city sunset I’ve had trouble with. I really need to change the lighting settings as it goes so that the lights in the city turn out better. But from what I understand, settings should stay the same throughout. To do it in post seems way to much work as there was about 500 pics in that vid. Is there a way to do this in Lightroom, premier pro or resolve that I don’t know about. Also, my timing was out. Ideally I wanted the sun completely set by final shot. Probably needed another 5 mins, but battery forced the end of the shoot. Will have to start 5 mins later next time.
A work in progress, i have in my head how I want it to look so will have to keep trying.
I’m flying from my daughters roof terrace, so only get the opportunity when I’m visiting her. Sunset and city are aligned perfecctly

I’ve done a few and have been happy (more work required than letting the drone put it together, for good results) but this city sunset I’ve had trouble with. I really need to change the lighting settings as it goes so that the lights in the city turn out better. But from what I understand, settings should stay the same throughout. To do it in post seems way to much work as there was about 500 pics in that vid. Is there a way to do this in Lightroom, premier pro or resolve that I don’t know about. Also, my timing was out. Ideally I wanted the sun completely set by final shot. Probably needed another 5 mins, but battery forced the end of the shoot. Will have to start 5 mins later next time.
A work in progress, i have in my head how I want it to look so will have to keep trying.
I’m flying from my daughters roof terrace, so only get the opportunity when I’m visiting her. Sunset and city are aligned perfecctly

I’m going to Brisbane in July. Anything I should know about flying in Australia?

Take a video and speed it up.
Much more smooth.
And BTW, that is a time lapse (camera stationary)
In a Hyperlapse, the camera moves and/ or follows a subject with the video rate speed up.
A lot of people like to take hundreds of timed interval pictures and stitch together for a hyperlapse.
You can control the exposure easier but the video is choppy

I love using the Hyperlapse. One thing I have found is that using the aircraft in a static position tends to result in a slight 'wobbling' of the ground. Try framing your shot but fly forward. I find I get a better result.

I love using the Hyperlapse. One thing I have found is that using the aircraft in a static position tends to result in a slight 'wobbling' of the ground. Try framing your shot but fly forward. I find I get a better result.

Yes, my best results are always flying forward or backward

Reactions: Bengt
I am definitely going to try that. What were your settings?

Well that video is 575 raw images edited in Lightroom and then stabilized in FCPX. your never going to get a pleasing video straight out of the camera. Well at least I’ve never been able to get one and I’ve done maybe 40-50 hyper lapses so far. The editing process is some what long and tedious but a must if you want something worth sharing.

I'm getting to realize that the DJI Hyperlapse feature is really just Timelapse (there is a difference)..

To get the exposure smoother exposure throughout the sequence with normal (land-based) timelapse, we take all the shots to individual stills (not video) and we DO INDEED change exposure during the sequence (as it gets darker, you need to increase the exposure or you will get a very dark ending, as you did). Of course, that makes for a choppy sequence, exposure wise (it will be obvious playing it back).

So if you're really serious about this, you will a) save the shots to DNG and b) also get software to smooth out the exposure jumps.

My recommendation is LRTimelapse. This also requires that you have Lightroom. With these two, you can take your stills and not only enhance the images, but smooth out the exposure ramping.

Cheers, Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: windluv
Keep in mind that your lowest shutter-speed is 1/25 (not that low, but perhaps as low as you want it in a flying platform -- debatable). But your aperture can also get wider, and there is Auto ISO.

I'm getting to realize that the DJI Hyperlapse feature is really just Timelapse (there is a difference)..

To get the exposure smoother exposure throughout the sequence with normal (land-based) timelapse, we take all the shots to individual stills (not video) and we DO INDEED change exposure during the sequence (as it gets darker, you need to increase the exposure or you will get a very dark ending, as you did). Of course, that makes for a choppy sequence, exposure wise (it will be obvious playing it back).

So if you're really serious about this, you will a) save the shots to DNG and b) also get software to smooth out the exposure jumps.

My recommendation is LRTimelapse. This also requires that you have Lightroom. With these two, you can take your stills and not only enhance the images, but smooth out the exposure ramping.

Cheers, Chris

Well, that is exactly what I was about to reply.

LRtimelapse is a very powerful tool for smoothing out timelapse sequences, taking care of flickering frames and get an overall great grading of your timelapse shots

This was an 18 minute flight, speed up to 1.5 minutes. I did it with a Mavic Pro though and sped it up in post.

Reactions: Dronage and halifax
All very nice!

Reactions: Dronage
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert