DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse waypoint only allows 2 second video

butters149

Reactions
Hello,

I was trying to do some hyperlapse using the waypoints mode but it only allows for 2 seconds when I selected 2 waypoints. Any suggestions? I am looking for 10-15 s video. thanks.

Hello,

I was trying to do some hyperlapse using the waypoints mode but it only allows for 2 seconds when I selected 2 waypoints. Any suggestions? I am looking for 10-15 s video. thanks.
We're the way points set far enough apart?

Hello,

You need to make the distance longer and you'll see the time will increase. The drone moves about 1 meter per photo from experience

You need to make the distance longer and you'll see the time will increase. The drone moves about 1 meter per photo from experience
I wonder why it doesn't adjust the distance between shots based on the overall distance and number of frames. Is it because 1 meter is the accuracy of the gps???

Because that would completely change the appearance of the result.
That's exactly the point. I may want a lot of shots over a very short distance so the amount of camera movement appears fairly small. By setting a minimum distance of 1 meter, if I want a 10 sec video at 30 fps, then my start and end need to be at least 300 meters apart. What if I want a 10 sec video where the drone only moves a total of 100 meters? I am not able to do that currently.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am actually very interested.
I am really struggling trying to understand how HL Waypoints works and I am also stuck with the 2 seconds length.Has anything changed with new updates?

You can’t decide how many pictures it takes. It all depends on your distance from point A to point B.

You can control the speed though, so as to take a lot of shots in a shorter flight.

It's okay to set the minutes of the video length to something larger than you need (you can stop the hyperlapse flight early, or just not use all of the video / DNGs).

As for the 2 second length: keep in mind that the controller will stop the hyperlapse of you move a stick. If you think that you need to start it, then push a stick to move it forward, you are the one stopping it.

Chris

Funny - I literally posted the same question an hour ago.

It seems that it is not possible to configure the duration / length of the hyperlapse in this mode.

The variance between Waypoint A > Waypoint B will determine the length of the hyperlapse.

I agree that it’s a bit annoying if you’re trying to take a limited distance / long (10s) hyperlapse and Go4 should automatically be able to calculate this because 2-4 second hyperlapse are a bit too short.

Maybe we can all submit a feature request for an app update.

But as it stands, no way to control the duration / length of a waypoint hyperlapse. It’s all computer based on the distance from A>B.

Reactions: vicvideopic
It is speed versus shooting interval that control duration. You can't slow down enough to get the number of shots needed for a ten second video in a short distance.

Another case of DI giving us a half baked bird and then moving on to newer products. In spite of owners asking about software fixes for numerous programing shortcomings over the last nine months or so, DJI has done little.

Reactions: vicvideopic
I have been experimenting a lot in the past few days and came to these conclusions:
- In Waypoints it can only take 1 shot every meter. So if you want to shoot a 12 seconds clip (what I normally need), you need to set a distance of at least 300 meters
- In Circle and Course Lock modes it is possible to set the speed, but the minimum speed equates still to 1 shot every meter
- In Hyperlapse mode it is indeed possible to shoot 1 RAW image every 2 seconds, while in normal time lapse (Choosing sequential shooting in the photo menu), only 1 RAW image every 5 seconds, 2 seconds for JPEG. This is a strange inconsistency

I find that the Hyperlapse mode is potentially a fantastic tool, but in the current situation its use is very, very limited. In many occasions it is simply not possible to fly legally for 300 meters, and also much more cinematic hyperlapses could be achieved with a much lower distance.
For example a parallax hyperlapse flying low, shooting 300 images while travelling 20 to 30 meters would be incredibly useful. A sort of huge slider

I was hoping to do a hyperlapse sunset using waypoints and covering the last 20 mins of the sun going below the horizon, from testing and what’s said above, it may not be possible, any thoughts

I was hoping to do a hyperlapse sunset using waypoints and covering the last 20 mins of the sun going below the horizon, from testing and what’s said above, it may not be possible, any thoughts
You will just have see what distance you must cover for it to spend 20 minutes fly at the set speed DJI decide we needed. Why they don't give us control of the speed is unknown.

You could fly free, course lock etc but the idea is to get nice smooth movements while climbing and yawing. It would be painful to do that for 20 mins with very small inputs. Surely that is the purpose of waypoints

It is possible in theory but very hard in reality.
I suppose you want to use a frequency of shots of 1 image every two seconds. In this case to cover 20 mins, you will need 20x30 = 600 photos, and the drone will have to travel 600 meters.
Note that the distance the drone has to travel is not necessarily in a straight line: as an example, by fixing three or more points, you could start at low altitude, that set another point at 110 mt high, coming back 150mt and to the right 150 mt, then a third point moving forward 150 mt, to the right 150 mt and down again.
In this case you have only moved sideways 300 mt, but the drone has traveled much more, I believe over 600 meters

You could fly free, course lock etc but the idea is to get nice smooth movements while climbing and yawing. It would be painful to do that for 20 mins with very small inputs. Surely that is the purpose of waypoints
I agree, and on top of that there is another problem.
Suppose you want to use tap fly or tripod mode, which actually give good results with hyperlapses. The problem is that only in HL mode you can take a shot every two seconds in RAW.
For whatever strange reason, in Tap FLY, Triopod, or even hovering you can only take one RAW image every 5 seconds (unless I am mistaken)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh