DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse

In camera stablization?

In camera stablization?
A distinct possibility.

I haven't tried one yet, mostly because I lack decent subjects. If I do I'll save original images as well so I can make my own afterwards if I'm unhappy with the DJI one.

I've played a bit with timelapses on my SLR, but I get bored taking them. Also, I don't live near somewhere where they would be photogenic.

Wait maybe I misunderstood, my image is not jumping at all, are you saying that in camera does it automatically and crops the picture?
Part of the processing for stabilizing a video is cropping the image to eliminate small jitters. Most video processing software has this option, and I suspect that is what is being done with the hyperlapses.

Part of the processing for stabilizing a video is cropping the image to eliminate small jitters. Most video processing software has this option, and I suspect that is what is being done with the hyperlapses.
That is true, but everything I've seen shows you having to do that yourself after. My video is not jumping at all, just the field of view is cropped straight out of the drone. Its an M2Z by the way and my still shot of the same area gives a wider area and I did not zoom in at all.

After examining my video I noticed by placing the curser on a single spot the image shifts around slightly, no shaking just a shift in the high wind. This is new to me, so If I can get it on youtube and post I will. Thanks for the comments.

That is true, but everything I've seen shows you having to do that yourself after. My video is not jumping at all, just the field of view is cropped straight out of the drone. Its an M2Z by the way and my still shot of the same area gives a wider area and I did not zoom in at all.
Given that what it's doing is assembling stills into a video, I wonder if maybe it's cropping each still to the resolution of the video rather than resizing the still to make it fit? Or maybe cropping each still to an even multiple of the pixel size of the video?

That is the point if it isn't jumping at all maybe it is stabilized. The software stabilizes is by alignment then cropping. If you can save the original files you can create your on movie from it and crop it however you want

Here is how you can analyze what it is doing. Set it to a timed shot every X seconds. Take a series. Assemble the photos in to a video. See if it is full size frame and see if the video stutters from the movement.
My bet is that it is in camera stabilization.

That
Here is how you can analyze what it is doing. Set it to a timed shot every X seconds. Take a series. Assemble the photos in to a video. See if it is full size frame and see if the video stutters from the movement.
My bet is that it is in camera stabilization.

That is exactly what my suggestion above does except setting the hyperlapse to save the individual frames gives you an exact comparison of exactly the same frames the drone uses to render.

A distinct possibility.

I haven't tried one yet, mostly because I lack decent subjects. If I do I'll save original images as well so I can make my own afterwards if I'm unhappy with the DJI one.

I've played a bit with timelapses on my SLR, but I get bored taking them. Also, I don't live near somewhere where they would be photogenic.

Nice work. I enjoyed those very much...

A distinct possibility.

Any cloud/fog action in the sky is always good for a Hyperlapse.

Simple formula: Use the Course setting. Lock a course perpendicular to the cloud movement. Set the orientation about 60° from the course direction, pointing toward the action. Set speed for 0.7 - 2.0 mph depending on how fast the cloud action is happening.

Profit.

I capture these all the time. Sometimes the cloud behavior is so interesting I just go straight up over my house and grab one.

Always good if you can get a freeway, or some human activity in there too. However, weather Hyperlapses are ALWAYS useful as stock material lying around for cool videos, even if you're a total amateur like me, just trying to make my videos a little more interesting.

Reactions: Morrisey20
I would also add that the extended battery is the Hyperlapse Battery. Thank you DJI!!

Anyone know the reason why Hyperlapse crops the image so much?
Yes. Even with the stability of the Mavic 3, hyperlapses are always shaky. Even in light winds. The drone therefore applies software stabilization which by its very nature crops the images. The greater the shake, the greater the crop. You can see that this happens if you also capture raw images from the hyperlapse and import these into a video editor like Premiere Pro. The resultant video is always shaky unless you apply Warp Stabilizer (This crops the image just as happens if you let the Mavic 3 handle the complete process.) You do get more control over the choice between stability and cropping if you shoot raw and edit using a video editor though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
activmonk