DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I’m going for it!!! The FAA Part 107. I’ll nail it! I’ve got determination!!

Just took mine Thursday and got 88%. I had a weird question that said you are hired to capture the Albemarle sound with your drone, can you operate it from a moving boat? I wasn’t sure. And it didn’t tell me which I got right/wrong.
Also want to mention I didn’t pay for any study guides. Just did a ton of reading studying online and used Tony Northups youtube study video

Just took mine Thursday and got 88%. I had a weird question that said you are hired to capture the Albemarle sound with your drone, can you operate it from a moving boat? I wasn’t sure. And it didn’t tell me which I got right/wrong.
I believe the answer is YES you can in only spare areas.

Here is what the FAA says about that:

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system—

(a) From a moving aircraft; or

(b) From a moving land or water-borne vehicle unless the small unmanned aircraft is flown over a sparsely populated area and is not transporting another person’s property for compensation or hire.

I have looked to find a definition of 'sparsely' populated in the regulations and I can't find it, but for sure you don't want to be anywhere near a place where there is yellow on a sectional chart while flying from a moving vehicle as those are defined as densely populated areas.

Ok yep. Something must have changed. This is from the pilot Institute flash card app. Blue one is the answer to the question.

Attachments

• DBE48625-E7E7-4171-B61A-98464DA62956.jpeg
    DBE48625-E7E7-4171-B61A-98464DA62956.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 14
  • B44949E2-3627-4635-A6E3-0F788F6AF92A.jpeg
    B44949E2-3627-4635-A6E3-0F788F6AF92A.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 14
I think the wording I keep seeing is you are allowed in a sparsely populated area. There must have been some context clues as to the population of the area. I would think a lot of areas are sparsely populated but some are not so the question should have said something. I just have to remember to slow down when reading questions. I keep missing the word "not" and picking the trick answer. :)

Has anyone else used Pilot institute? How did it go?

Yes, I used Pilot Institute and am very happy with them. Greg is a great instructor. I didn’t do the “2 week challenge” thing though, as I preferred to take more time to really absorb the material (my goal was (and is) to really learn this space, not just pass the test). I started on Feb 2 and gave myself 30 days to complete it. I took the test on March 2, and scored 92%. BTW for those wondering about the timeline - I took the test on a Monday, and PSI had already gotten my score to IACRA when I submitted my application that night. I received the temp certificate that Friday. I guess it takes a month or so to get the permanent card.

I know people pass the test without paying for a course. But I found it helpful to learn in a structured way, have one source, not have to hunt around and hope what I found was correct, complete, and up to date. And with the course, I could contact the instructor with any questions (and did). So this method worked best for me.

I wrote a review of Pilot Institute here: Bill Heiser – 1 business reviews on Trustpilot

Last edited:
Great man 92 percent is great for 30 days. I’m not doing the 14 day challenge either. Too much cool info not to take in ya know. That’s great that you used Pilot Institute. How was the FAA actual exam comparison to the Pilot Institute class? Was it similar to the way that the questions were written on the test. Obviously not the same words or situations but did pilot institutes course put you on a good path By not feeling clueless on the test?

Reactions: pelagic_one
On the plus side, even if you won't use it for any commercial work, you'll get a cool ID card from the department of transportation that says you're a pilot. It's probably good for picking up chicks if that's on your radar

Until they ask you to take them for a ride... ?

• Haha
Reactions: noslentx
I used Drone Launch Academy I found a 50$ off code on some rando blogger, I think thedronegirl dot com. The ads for Drone Launch LLC on her site take you to a 50$ off course page. The coupon code during checkout seems to be GOOGLE50 based on the info in the ad link. If you pass their internal test then fail the FAA test they will refund your money and pay for your retake. Though you should have no problems at all based on everything I am seeing. If you can study at all then you should be able to grasp the basic weather info, reading a sectional chart, and soaking up the basic lingo.
92% using their materials and a couple other practice tests mentioned here. Mine was heavy reading charts and lower on weather. But not outside what I was expecting. I say if you're on the fence and getting 80s on practices you will be just fine.

Ok so. I don’t really need this certification. At this time I don’t need or want really to make money off flying my drone. It’s a blast for me flying my Mav around taking pictures and videos on vacation. Even though making money flying a drone and doing the same exact things for paying customers sounds ( Mod Removed Language ), That’s not where I’m at. Ok so back to the 107. This being said I know, some people think it’s a waste of money and time to go through the process and research and time vested if your not going to utilize or have a reason to gain such certifications. Me personally, I’m curious and quite interested in the combination of science and technology and the entire process. I mean this is some really cool stuff. Take a step back and look at the device and the operation of the whole thing. Me being 39 years old, I remember the beginning of home fun electronics. Nintendo, saga, Atari. Not we are flying awesome aircraft through the sky. I mean Process and evaluation of technology is fun as hell for us big kids.

Ok back on track. Sorry. I did some research and found the pilot Institute on this forum. I bought the 2+1 bundle I believe it’s call it was reasonable I think at $175 US. So far it is pretty awesome. I just started the class. I guess you can make it happen with an hour a day for 2 weeks. They call it the 14 day challenge. So far the only other cost, well choice of cost. A personal Choice of but some recommended FAA textbooks. They do provide all of the textbook included in the original course cost via PDF and I believe another choice. I personally learn better with books in front of me other than looking through a screen. Also comes with a flash card app. All of this is for iOS and Android. I’m not gonna lie it’s pretty **** resourceful. Either way just letting you guys know some of my research In this process hopefully it helps. I will back to you with the good news. The pilot Institute says they have a 99 point something success rate. Has anyone else used Pilot institute? How did it go?

also a side note I’m hoping that having the 107 will not get me any special privileges per say, but maybe less fees down the road and maybe being put into a different group. Like the, ok this guy put time and money for training and awareness.We will not group him with all the bad apples. What do you guys think about that am I ridiculous?
Good luck to you. I took the course from RemotePilot101.com and found it to be an excellent learning tool. Took my 107 on Feb 3rd 2020 with great success. My reasons for taking the course was to learn all I can and to make sure I operate on the right side of the law. I also wanted to have the option of promoting homes I am trying to sell in my real estate business. You'll do fine.

Good luck

Im thinking about taking it also

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake