DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I’m going for it!!! The FAA Part 107. I’ll nail it! I’ve got determination!!

Sowsalbitters

Reactions
Ok so. I don’t really need this certification. At this time I don’t need or want really to make money off flying my drone. It’s a blast for me flying my Mav around taking pictures and videos on vacation. Even though making money flying a drone and doing the same exact things for paying customers sounds ( Mod Removed Language ), That’s not where I’m at. Ok so back to the 107. This being said I know, some people think it’s a waste of money and time to go through the process and research and time vested if your not going to utilize or have a reason to gain such certifications. Me personally, I’m curious and quite interested in the combination of science and technology and the entire process. I mean this is some really cool stuff. Take a step back and look at the device and the operation of the whole thing. Me being 39 years old, I remember the beginning of home fun electronics. Nintendo, saga, Atari. Not we are flying awesome aircraft through the sky. I mean Process and evaluation of technology is fun as hell for us big kids.

Ok back on track. Sorry. I did some research and found the pilot Institute on this forum. I bought the 2+1 bundle I believe it’s call it was reasonable I think at $175 US. So far it is pretty awesome. I just started the class. I guess you can make it happen with an hour a day for 2 weeks. They call it the 14 day challenge. So far the only other cost, well choice of cost. A personal Choice of but some recommended FAA textbooks. They do provide all of the textbook included in the original course cost via PDF and I believe another choice. I personally learn better with books in front of me other than looking through a screen. Also comes with a flash card app. All of this is for iOS and Android. I’m not gonna lie it’s pretty **** resourceful. Either way just letting you guys know some of my research In this process hopefully it helps. I will back to you with the good news. The pilot Institute says they have a 99 point something success rate. Has anyone else used Pilot institute? How did it go?

also a side note I’m hoping that having the 107 will not get me any special privileges per say, but maybe less fees down the road and maybe being put into a different group. Like the, ok this guy put time and money for training and awareness.We will not group him with all the bad apples. What do you guys think about that am I ridiculous?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty much in the same mode as you. I got my Part 107 a year ago with no intention of using it commercially (other than perhaps posting some work-related photos on our company website). Mostly got it for the learning experience. It really helped me feel integrated into National Airspace. Like I belong there and understand the rules associated with being there.

Good luck with your classes and exam. I'm sure it will all go well.

Courage and to it ... Knowledge does not take place ... at least in your mind ... and it is always better to know your aircraft and where and how you fly it ..

Reactions: Gindra
Shooting for mine on Next Friday. I think the courses definitely make the idea a lot less intimidating. I have been hitting the practice tests and always above 85% even when I only spend 30 minutes on 100 questions. I really like the feeling of knowing the sectional charts and understanding why the various apps are showing warnings and the like. I mean I trust the apps but it's nice to know I could get the info on my own.

Best of luck, though I doubt you will have an issue. :)

Shooting for mine on Next Friday. I think the courses definitely make the idea a lot less intimidating. I have been hitting the practice tests and always above 85% even when I only spend 30 minutes on 100 questions. I really like the feeling of knowing the sectional charts and understanding why the various apps are showing warnings and the like. I mean I trust the apps but it's nice to know I could get the info on my own.

Best of luck, though I doubt you will have an issue. :)
Might I ask what you used for study material? My daughter and I are both going to get 107 license and we want to begin pretty quickly. She's a photographer and college student who wants to be able to add the drone photography to her capabilities.. I will work as her maintenance/setup person maintaining the drones. So we want to begin soon and it seems now that work is from home with the bug going around, it's a good time to begin.

Might I ask what you used for study material? My daughter and I are both going to get 107 license and we want to begin pretty quickly. She's a photographer and college student who wants to be able to add the drone photography to her capabilities.. I will work as her maintenance/setup person maintaining the drones. So we want to begin soon and it seems now that work is from home with the bug going around, it's a good time to begin.
Hello. This is the list of books we are using. If you buy them all it’s around 150 US give or take. This is a picture of the class program. Hope this is helpful. A lot of them can be found PDF on the FAA website. Good luck to you and your daughter. Safe flying.

Attachments

• 9DA8AD4C-E461-4CAC-A142-03E05761F09C.jpeg
    9DA8AD4C-E461-4CAC-A142-03E05761F09C.jpeg
    884.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 1318EA49-B93E-4643-84EA-1FCCB4417902.jpeg
    1318EA49-B93E-4643-84EA-1FCCB4417902.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: dan.utinske
Sowsal....you might also want to consider some of the tutorials on Youtube...they are for free and give you a slightly different perspective as well even though the topics and content are ultimately the same. I had also taken a one day in person prep class with a company called Dartdrones...they are pretty good at what they are doing and the class was only like 3 attendees right after Christmas...keep in mind that the FAA does keep changing the questions so dont be surprised when you are sitting there at the exam and very few questions are exactly the same from your prep course or books...as long as you know your stuff it shouldn't matter though...good luck...

Started flying drones in 2011. Had a custom built Hex, and 3 Phantoms by DJI. In 2005, after crashing my $3,000 Hex into a corn maze I was photographing, I took a break. This year I picked up a DJI Mini and was amazed at how far the technology has come. As a photographer, I think this little guy will be a nice addition to my camera bag. Now that you must be certified, I've been studying for the exam. However, they recently changed the way you must schedule the exam online IACRA - Federal Aviation Administration
The question I have is the pricing seems to have changed too. Could any of you let me know of your recent experience in registering for the exam and the price they charged? Thanks!
_MG_0202.jpg2.jpg_MG_3082.jpg_MG_3093.jpg_MG_3088.jpg_MG_3292.jpg_MG_0202.jpg

I'm pretty much in the same mode as you. I got my Part 107 a year ago with no intention of using it commercially (other than perhaps posting some work-related photos on our company website). Mostly got it for the learning experience. It really helped me feel integrated into National Airspace. Like I belong there and understand the rules associated with being there.

Good luck with your classes and exam. I'm sure it will all go well.
This is a great way to look at this whole thing, and props to you (see what I did there?) for taking this attitude. I would like to see more awareness in the drone community of the serious responsibility we have as people sharing the National Airspace. These aren't toys, even though the many in the community seem to act like they are.

I do real estate photography on the side but even if I didn't, I too think it is a good idea to have the knowledge that one needs to be certificated as a 107.

I know it's not a popular option these days as there are so many online courses but, all of the information and study material is on the FAA's website and free to download and; as mentioned, there is now a lot of videos on sites like Youtube. I wanted to really know the material and felt the best way for me to do that was get my hands on it and study it the old fashioned way, by reading and re-reading until I got the sense of it all. Most of the material was fairly straight forward but the weather stuff like METARs took some time to unpack ? at least for my old brain.

I spent three weeks of evenings going over it all then took about two weeks without looking at any of it, then I took one of the provided practice tests. From there I isolated what subject or, subjects I was not getting 100% and went back over those for a few more weeks until I felt I knew it.

The stuff that has changed (in the US) is that now you need to get your FTN before signing up and the test now costs 160.00 dollars.

You can easily study for and pass the 107 exam with the free materials below. The 60 question exam will take about 20 minutes. Average study time is about 15 hours in total. The exam is NOT difficult, if you prepare.
1. Tony Northrup video and associated fact sheet. Watch this video first. Then watch it again. That will kill a few hours. See his web page for additional information.
2. The Official FAA Study Guide. This is comprehensive and contains just about everything you need to know. I read through this after watching Northrup's video, taking notes and concentrating on topics he discussed.
3. 3dr Practice Exam, as well as the practice exam and info on Rupprecht Law. These exams are very similar to the actual one.
4. Peruse YouTube for tips and most-missed questions. There are two or three that always come up.
5. Read the actual text of the Part 107 regulation. There are one or two test questions on this.
6. Familiarize yourself with the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the Testing Supplement for Remote Pilot, you will be given the supplement to use during the test. Don't spend much time on either, though.

Passed my 107 week before last with a 93% score. I used Drone Pilot Training School but there are many good training programs out there. It's an easy test as long as you study and have a good handle on the material. There will likely be 3 or 4 questions that are very tricky--answers are so close to being the correct so you may have to just guess on which answer they are looking for.

One word of advice for those with less than perfect eyesight--take along a small magnifying glass. Some of those charts are hard to read. There will likely be a question or two on load factors that unless you are very good with math a small calculator is needed. I took one with me however the testing center did already provide that-not sure if they all do.

Good luck!!

I'm in the same group pursuing the Part 107 license with no initial interest in using my M2P for income. I simply took on studying for the exam as a challenge and have found the material/topics challenging and interesting. I also thought having the license would allow me a more access to certain circumstances that may not be available for the "hobbist."

I first researched many of the online resources, but I ended up with using Remote Pilot 101. I'm reassured that they update their material when there are FAA changes. Also, they get feedback from users on updated Part of 107 test questions. Some, if not all, of the YouTube videos may not. In the end, using Remote Pilot 107 is better suited for my type of learning.

I used Drone Launch Academy I found a 50$ off code on some rando blogger, I think thedronegirl dot com. The ads for Drone Launch LLC on her site take you to a 50$ off course page. The coupon code during checkout seems to be GOOGLE50 based on the info in the ad link. If you pass their internal test then fail the FAA test they will refund your money and pay for your retake. Though you should have no problems at all based on everything I am seeing. If you can study at all then you should be able to grasp the basic weather info, reading a sectional chart, and soaking up the basic lingo.

I used UAV Coach, Drone Ground School. Liked the presentation and the simplicity. Like others, they guarantee that you pass the exam, covering the cost if you don't. However, it is a pretty safe bet on their part! I cannot imagine anyone NOT passing if they work through the lectures and quizzes. And the best part for me is that I am enrolled for life, which will come in handy when I need to bone up for the recurrent test.

I used UAV Coach, Drone Ground School. Liked the presentation and the simplicity. Like others, they guarantee that you pass the exam, covering the cost if you don't. However, it is a pretty safe bet on their part! I cannot imagine anyone NOT passing if they work through the lectures and quizzes. And the best part for me is that I am enrolled for life, which will come in handy when I need to bone up for the recurrent test.
Man the top gun logo is really sweet!! Thanks all for your high fives and good lucks.

Sorry. Don’t know why it put my comments with your post Gindra. Thanks again

Hello. This is the list of books we are using. If you buy them all it’s around 150 US give or take. This is a picture of the class program. Hope this is helpful. A lot of them can be found PDF on the FAA website. Good luck to you and your daughter. Safe flying.
Thank you, very much appreciated.

Ok so. I don’t really need this certification. At this time I don’t need or want really to make money off flying my drone. It’s a blast for me flying my Mav around taking pictures and videos on vacation. Even though making money flying a drone and doing the same exact things for paying customers sounds ( Mod Removed Language ), That’s not where I’m at. Ok so back to the 107. This being said I know, some people think it’s a waste of money and time to go through the process and research and time vested if your not going to utilize or have a reason to gain such certifications. Me personally, I’m curious and quite interested in the combination of science and technology and the entire process. I mean this is some really cool stuff. Take a step back and look at the device and the operation of the whole thing. Me being 39 years old, I remember the beginning of home fun electronics. Nintendo, saga, Atari. Not we are flying awesome aircraft through the sky. I mean Process and evaluation of technology is fun as hell for us big kids.

Ok back on track. Sorry. I did some research and found the pilot Institute on this forum. I bought the 2+1 bundle I believe it’s call it was reasonable I think at $175 US. So far it is pretty awesome. I just started the class. I guess you can make it happen with an hour a day for 2 weeks. They call it the 14 day challenge. So far the only other cost, well choice of cost. A personal Choice of but some recommended FAA textbooks. They do provide all of the textbook included in the original course cost via PDF and I believe another choice. I personally learn better with books in front of me other than looking through a screen. Also comes with a flash card app. All of this is for iOS and Android. I’m not gonna lie it’s pretty **** resourceful. Either way just letting you guys know some of my research In this process hopefully it helps. I will back to you with the good news. The pilot Institute says they have a 99 point something success rate. Has anyone else used Pilot institute? How did it go?

also a side note I’m hoping that having the 107 will not get me any special privileges per say, but maybe less fees down the road and maybe being put into a different group. Like the, ok this guy put time and money for training and awareness.We will not group him with all the bad apples. What do you guys think about that am I ridiculous?
Just took mine Thursday and got 88%. I had a weird question that said you are hired to capture the Albemarle sound with your drone, can you operate it from a moving boat? I wasn’t sure. And it didn’t tell me which I got right/wrong.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan