DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic 3 is in a tree 40m up

IBL

Reactions
Unfortunately, my Mavic 3 flew into a tree during a RTH procedure šŸ˜ž. I managed to find it with ā€œfind my droneā€, only itā€™s about 40m up in the top of a treeā€¦ I can get a professional to climb the tree and fetch my drone, but that will cost quite a bit of money. I have 2 years of DJI refresh but if I donā€™t return a broken drone itā€™s a fly-away and I think thatā€™s also expensive. What would be the best option? Iā€™m OK with spending some money on this, just donā€™t know whatā€™s the best optionā€¦.

• Sad
Reactions: AMann and RodPad
ChatGPT:

Retrieving something stuck high up in a 40-meter tree can be challenging but there are several methods you could try:

1. **Use a ladder:** If the object is not too high up, you might be able to use a tall ladder to reach it. Make sure the ladder is stable and have someone hold it for safety.

2. **Extendable pole or tool:** You can use a long, extendable pole or tool with a hook or grasping mechanism on the end to try to reach the object. These are often used for tasks like picking fruit from trees.

3. **Climbing gear:** If you're comfortable with climbing and have the necessary equipment and expertise, you could climb the tree to retrieve the object. This might involve using ropes, harnesses, and other climbing gear for safety.

4. **Hire a professional:** If the object is valuable or if you're unable to retrieve it safely on your own, it might be best to hire a professional tree climber or arborist to do the job. They have the experience, skills, and equipment needed to safely climb trees and retrieve objects from heights.

5. **Use a drone:** If the object is not too heavy and if you have access to a drone, you might be able to use it to fly up to the object and retrieve it. This can be a convenient option for objects that are difficult to reach by other means.

6. **Wait for it to fall:** If the object is not urgently needed and if it's something that might eventually fall from the tree on its own (such as fruit or branches), you could simply wait for it to fall naturally.

Remember to prioritize safety when attempting to retrieve objects from heights, especially when dealing with tall trees. If you're unsure or uncomfortable with any of these methods, it's best to seek assistance from someone with more experience or to hire a professional.

Remember you can use the combination of a ladder and a long pole, or you can hire one of these:

stadium-lights-getting-installed-1000x979px.webp

What sort of tree?
Whose land?
Could another drone SAFELY air lift it out of the tree?
Are you willing to destroy the drone to recover it for care refresh?

40m by ladder would be dicey ..... if you could even find one.

Reactions: RodPad and Yaros
ChatGPT never recovered a drone from a tree.
ChatGPT didn't read the question or doesn't understand what sizes ladders come in.
ChatGPT doesn't know much about flying drones.

A professional tree climber is the only realistic option to recover from a 40 metre tree..

And ChatGPT never used a drone to extract a drone from a tree and fly away with it. For that matter, has anyone?

@IBL
You said you found it?
Can you share a picture, or video?

Its better than text.

Rod ..

I would take a picture of the Drone contact DJI , let them know you would like to use the Refresh . They may ask for some video but I think you can manage to use your Refresh with DJI support team.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Being a city boy, I have to ask: are you sure the tree is 40m tall? It would be a very tall tree. Were you flying in a forest? that may add difficulties to the "rescue".

and if you are sure of the exact position of the drone, you may consider using another drone to "rescue" it.

the down side is, you may lost another drone....It's easier said than done and there are actually lots of failed case.

Reactions: twickers14
Iā€™d go with a local tree surgeon if you can find one. When I lost my Spark up a tree I put a notice on the tree (perhaps you donā€™t have passers by) and my phone number and a week or so later I got a call. Ā£60 later I had my Spark back none the worse for wear. Good luck!

I would contact DJI an make the case as follows.

1. Here is the data about how my drone returned during my flight with last recorded location.
2. Here is a photo of it lodged in a tree that the collision avoidance in the Mavic 3 was designed to sense.
3. The descending RTH added to the Mavic 3 was predicated upon its ability to sustain collision avoidance during a descending RTH. I relied upon that when operating this craft.
4. Surely DJI would not like me to risk life and limb to climb that high in a tree just to prove that this was not a fly away.
5. Please honor the refresh insurance without my retrieving this drone.

Reactions: RodPad
@IBL
This thread got busy. :)

I will be in the back ground until you reply.

I'm really good at finding Mavic Magnets šŸŒ²

40m = 140' ?
PVC pipe 20' x 8 = 160'

Yes that was my P3S.

Rod ..

Reactions: Dbez1
@IBL
This thread got busy. :)

I will be in the back ground until you reply.

I'm really good at finding Mavic Magnets šŸŒ²

40m = 140' ?
PVC pipe 20' x 8 = 160'

Yes that was my P3S.

Rod ..

1" nominal PVC pipe weighs about 0.32 pounds per foot. A 160-foot assemblage would weigh about 51 pounds.

It might be possible to keep the pipe stable if you braced the it among the tree limbs and trunk and assembled it in place one piece at a time. But maneuvering the end to knock the drone loose from 140 feet below might be problematic.

I have an 18' pole saw that weighs less than 10 pounds and it's challenging to keep stable when fully extended.

Some of the suggestions given here are really hilarious. I did retrieve a Solo 3DR from a tree 40 feet up using a slingshot,
1/2 inch nut fishing line, close line and 1/2 inch rope. Figure it out but its not going to work at 130 feet. Your best bet would be a tree climber.

When I was a kid, we shot mistletoe out of hardwood trees with a .22 single shot rifle with open iron sights. If you're in a rural area that might be able to cut or jar the limb the drone is hanging on.

When I was a kid, we shot mistletoe out of hardwood trees with a .22 single shot rifle with open iron sights. If you're in a rural area that might be able to cut or jar the limb the drone is hanging on.
I suspect shooting it out of the tree with any gun could land the OP in deep ----. Not least for a possible "where is the ammunition going to end up" consideration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13