DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance and follow me Mavic 3 Pro vs Skydio 2+

mswlogo

Reactions
I partially bought my Skydio 2+ to follow me on an Electric Surf board using the beacon. I never succeeded. It was tricky trying to keep beacon dry, accessible and get signal.

I have lots of trees near the shore where I take off from. Skydio would be confused on my intended direction until I’m moving and hunt all over in and out of the trees and also get awfully close to the water. Skydio can get confused with height over water. I always ended up bailing out. Tons of folks do it and it’s often with a Skydio.

It is far from being a critical thing I want to do with the drone but a cool nice to have.

one thing that the Beacon does is if you are momentarily out of view it doesn’t lose you and will hunt you down. It’s wild when it does this. It does not always succeed but often does. But on the water I’ll never be out of view and don’t care about the use case of periods of being out of view.

I know not much beats a Skydio for tracking and obstacle avoidance. And DJI’s keep incrementally improving.

So how good is a Mavic 3 Pro today? Especially given my use case that I will always be in view. What should I expect?

Just read other posts on mini 4 pro tracking and someone quoted manual of it will struggle with regular patterns. Like water.

Also Skydio was doable with one person. With Mavic 3 Pro I think will take 2. Not carrying the RC Pro on the board. I don’t go far or long on the board.

Part of my reason for asking is, I’m try to decide if I should keep the Skydio or not. It’s out of its “Care Refresh” coverage. And I’m concerned on getting parts and repairs at reasonable prices. They sell for good money. Because they now sell them commercially for $12K

I don’t really need two drones.

For Action Shots Like You Want - You May not have to Use a Drone at All - ... A Long stick with an Waterproof 36K Camera may be what You are after.

See - the INSTA360 X3 (with a long Extension) which remains hidden.

If there are no Surf Shots - Search for Snow Skiiing and INSTA360 X3

Click Here (for example)

For Action Shots Like You Want - You May not have to Use a Drone at All - ... A Long stick with an Waterproof 36K Camera may be what You are after.

See - the INSTA360 X3 (with a long Extension) which remains hidden.

If there are no Surf Shots - Search for Snow Skiiing and INSTA360 X3

Click Here (for example)
Thanks for the suggestion. One problem, I have one hand, still on a tether and the other with the remote throttle. 😉 might start with something head mounted.

Also I like shots from various angles, zoomies etc. Not that I ever got one, I love seeing ones that have.

All I really need is a buddy with his own board. With a drone.

Attach it to the Board at 45 Degrees - Facing you...
I used the Insta360 X3 for this Cycle Ride.

... and here is the M3P DRONE in 'Follow Me' mode -
it lost me a few times - .... But Nothing that edit cant fix...
Would be best with a Buddy Monitoring the Follow me....

Attach it to the Board at 45 Degrees - Facing you...
I used the Insta360 X3 for this Cycle Ride.

... and here is the M3P DRONE in 'Follow Me' mode -
it lost me a few times - .... But Nothing that edit cant fix...
Would be best with a Buddy Monitoring the Follow me....
I liked the Drone Video a lot more 😉

get a spark hand launch it fly it with gesture control nah it dosent care for water much but it would follow you

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne