DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Carrying payload

nlong2106

Reactions
Hey everyone I’m new to this site and it seems like a great place to ask this question since I’m a new part 107 pilot moving to florida shortly.

1. I had this great idea of using this payload drop device to throw out bait for fisherman on shore when I move to Florida I know it complies with the dropping payload requirement of doing it over a sparsely populated area but my concern is that it’s not compliant with doing it for hire does anyone know the legality behind this?

2. I’m also concerned with being harassed by beach goers saying I can’t fly or even worse threatening to call the cops on me for just flying. If anyone has had any altercations I would love to hear how you deescalated the situation so I don’t have to waste the cops time.

Thank you in advance

There are many doing this type of fishing with the drone and more. My advice is find others that are doing the same and fly with them to learn and copy there success. You wil find many speicalized pay drop devices for fishing.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Drone in the Rain. Land your drone on Water.

There is no requirement for the area to be "sparsely populated" when dropping payload. That term only appears in 107.25 (b). That concerns operating a drone from a moving vehicle. The only time you can fly from a moving vehicle is when the drone is "flown over a sparsely populated area and is not transporting another person's property for compensation or hire."

When it comes to dropping payload, you need to follow 107.23 (b). It states you can do that if the drop won't create "an undue hazard to persons or property."

Dropping a fishing line won't do that. You may want to check with Florida Fish and Game. I haven't seen anything stating you can't, but it's worh checking out.

As far as people calling the cops, there's nothing you can do about that. Make sure you have all of your paperwork on you, and just deal with that as it happens. Follow FAA and local guidelines, and you'll be legal.

Reactions: nlong2106
You need to check carefully with the local fsh and game dept. Sorry to tell you and I have read many a post about Drone Fishing BUT I am going to be the -Buzz Killer
According to Florida State Law:
Any aircraft with cameras are prohibited from fishing in Florida without a permit- its not so much illegal to drop bait in the water as much as it is illegal to use a camera to "spot" your fish.
Florida has regulations against using aircraft for fishing to prevent scouting from the air (Florida Gear Specifications and Prohibited Gear).
However, they do not have set regulations on baiting. If you are seen using a drone with a camera you could be suspected of using your drone to "spot" your fish.:
68B-4.013 Limitation on Use of Spotter Planes.
Beginning January 1, 1993, no person shall harvest any marine fish in any waters of the state with the aid of any spotter plane, except for those species allowed to be harvested with a purse seine pursuant to paragraph 68B-4.0083(1)(c), F.A.C.

I have been in a discussion on a differant post on this very subject and heres the deal The game warden that questions you may not know, the person you call and ask could give you some wrong info BUT the law is in place so USE caution and make very sure you are LEGAL and Have Fun in Florida!

Reactions: Vic Moss
You need to check carefully with the local fsh and game dept. Sorry to tell you and I have read many a post about Drone Fishing BUT I am going to be the -Buzz Killer
According to Florida State Law:
Any aircraft with cameras are prohibited from fishing in Florida without a permit- its not so much illegal to drop bait in the water as much as it is illegal to use a camera to "spot" your fish.
Florida has regulations against using aircraft for fishing to prevent scouting from the air (Florida Gear Specifications and Prohibited Gear).
However, they do not have set regulations on baiting. If you are seen using a drone with a camera you could be suspected of using your drone to "spot" your fish.:
68B-4.013 Limitation on Use of Spotter Planes.
Beginning January 1, 1993, no person shall harvest any marine fish in any waters of the state with the aid of any spotter plane, except for those species allowed to be harvested with a purse seine pursuant to paragraph 68B-4.0083(1)(c), F.A.C.

I have been in a discussion on a differant post on this very subject and heres the deal The game warden that questions you may not know, the person you call and ask could give you some wrong info BUT the law is in place so USE caution and make very sure you are LEGAL and Have Fun in Florida!
Thank you so much I had no idea I just did a quick google search on drone fishing in Florida and it said it was legal so thank you for pointing this out to me and I won’t be continuing with my idea!

Reactions: Cafguy and Vic Moss
Hey everyone I’m new to this site and it seems like a great place to ask this question since I’m a new part 107 pilot moving to florida shortly.

1. I had this great idea of using this payload drop device to throw out bait for fisherman on shore when I move to Florida I know it complies with the dropping payload requirement of doing it over a sparsely populated area but my concern is that it’s not compliant with doing it for hire does anyone know the legality behind this?

2. I’m also concerned with being harassed by beach goers saying I can’t fly or even worse threatening to call the cops on me for just flying. If anyone has had any altercations I would love to hear how you deescalated the situation so I don’t have to waste the cops time.

Thank you in advance

Just cover up your camera :)
Brings up a good point-As far as a couple of us have looked we can't find anything Illegal about fishing with a Drone without a camera That just may be possible- Maybe. Not quite sure how one would cover it though.

Can it have a camera that's simply disabled? Or is just the fact that there's a camera on board (working or not) the issue?

Where's that "Turn Off Camera" button when you need it?

Reactions: Cafguy
Can it have a camera that's simply disabled? Or is just the fact that there's a camera on board (working or not) the issue?

Where's that "Turn Off Camera" button when you need it?
I will just say the Law say's Equipped with a camera It says nothing about working or not So I'm pretty sure you would have to Remove it entirely so your drone would be no longer Equipped-- But Better call saul on that one, I think I am reading it correctly.

Reactions: Aerophile
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne