DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I always get flac for telling you all this. A better gimbal camera guard meeds to be in place on the Mavic UAVs. The camera is too exposed. w pics

pentatony

Reactions
I always get told that the camera being exposed as much as it is, is simply a part of the design of these camera drones and there is not much to do about it. There is plenty to do about , if you ask me. A LIGHTWEIGHT GUARD THAT DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH CAMERA MOVEMENT and or VISUALIZATION, CAN BE ADDED TO THAT AREA OF THE DRONE.

Don't second guess me just yet. I have made one and have been using it. It has saved my gimbal and camera several times since it's been attached.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MAJOR CRASHES HERE. The gimbal and camera are so over exposed that just dropping your drone a few feet can damage the motors, gimbal or camera in such a severe way, it may become unstable or operate poorly. DO YOU REALLY WANT TOO RISK A 3-10 FOOT DROP DESTROYING YOUR CAMERA AND then having to send it in for repairs while you wait 2 weeks.?

I have built a prototype that doesn't fall off and can take a decent impact at about 15ft onto hard ground. If the ground is flat, the camera and gimbal will not be harmed. Even the intense jerk won't damage. As I said I've been testing it. Not on purpose, but over a year now, I have had 10 incidents where the guard was on and the gimbal suffered no damage, scratches or malfunvtion in any way. I hit a couple trees and then hit the lawn below. Once I hit the roadway at about 15 ft. Several times, I just dropped the thing from 5 feet onto hard cement or tile.

Nothing happened. I can't imagine what would have happened if my prototype guard wasn't attached. I won't fly without it. Hell, I won't walk around with the drone, without the guard on.

Here are pics of my latest, lightest and strongest gimbal guard. It has saved my gimbal and camera too many times. Yes, from minor accidents, but considering how weak and fragile the gimbal and camera are currently, the guard saved me from having to send my drone in for a 2 week repair job.

Here Are some Pics, THIS IS NOT AN AD. I will not give out contact info. It works for me, that's all I care about. I even added a sun visor for added stability and protection.

right angle.jpg

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 79
  • left angle.jpg
    left angle.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 72
Reactions: LoudThunder
IMHO you have created a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. In the 50 years I've been flying remote piloted vehicles, I haven't found that I go around dropping them and I've pretty much learned how to avoid flying them into trees. They're my babies, I'm very careful with them! So, as they say on Shark Tank, good luck, but I'm out!

@pentatony i think that flak is rather a strong word to describe the reactions to your posts on the subject ,you obviously feel so passionate about
its your drone you paid for it and you can fit whatever device you see fit to it ,if it makes you feel happy
that does not mean that everyone else is going to agree with you ,or even want to add such a device to their drone
i personally have been flying DJI camera drones for over 5 years and have not sustained any damage to any of the cameras or gimbals during that time ,i have well over 1500 flights under my belt ,so i feel i can comment on the subject

I always get told that the camera being exposed as much as it is, is simply a part of the design
Have you performed any flight tests in regards to how much flight time might be lost due to the added weight (the front motors having to work harder to maintain equilibrium) and the loss of forward speed to the wind resistance of the gimbal guard?

I do not necessarily agree with the need for this (and I have seen commercial versions already on the market…), but I do agree that the Gimbal is the most delicate part of the Drone and I welcome every Newcomer to the MavicPilots and if they note that they are a newbie, I include this advice…

Newbie Advice:……….

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-

One of the many and various Gimbal Hoods available on the market….

Reactions: Touring497
over a year now, I have had 10 incidents where the guard was on and the gimbal suffered no damage, scratches or malfunvtion in any way. I hit a couple trees and then hit the lawn below. Once I hit the roadway at about 15 ft. Several times, I just dropped the thing from 5 feet onto hard cement or tile.
That seems to be the problem that you need to address.
The cheapest and most effective solution would be to keep your drone flying, not bumping into things.

Picture 1 of 12

This is what I use never had a problem.

This ^^. A fantastic solution to a problem that may exist for first time fliers. First, the clear gimbal storage protector comes off, then this goes on. I don't fly without it.

IMHO you have created a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. In the 50 years I've been flying remote piloted vehicles, I haven't found that I go around dropping them and I've pretty much learned how to avoid flying them into trees. They're my babies, I'm very careful with them! So, as they say on Shark Tank, good luck, but I'm out!
I’m with you on this. I come from the days when drones used rubber bands to support a camera over a decade ago before someone invented the gimbal…DJI was the first I knew of on the S800 in 2013. I’ve owned huge aircraft, flown with a $40,000 REDCAM hanging down and have yet to destroy one. I never even think about my Mavic gimbal getting dismembered. That would take a crash. How would I crash it. It makes beautiful soft landings. How does someone drop it from 10 feet up as described. Maybe better piloting is required here and not a guard.

It really looks like you are blocking the full range of the camera. The Mavic one is pretty well protected but it doesn't have a real full axis gimbal. I appreciate that you're trying to protect your drone, but it's an aircraft not something that you can put protective covers on and feel you're covered. Banging it around is not an option. When I travel I use my soft bag over my shoulder and never let baggage handlers or custom people handle it.

I always get told that the camera being exposed as much as it is, is simply a part of the design of these camera drones and there is not much to do about it. There is plenty to do about , if you ask me. A LIGHTWEIGHT GUARD THAT DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH CAMERA MOVEMENT and or VISUALIZATION, CAN BE ADDED TO THAT AREA OF THE DRONE.

Don't second guess me just yet. I have made one and have been using it. It has saved my gimbal and camera several times since it's been attached.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MAJOR CRASHES HERE. The gimbal and camera are so over exposed that just dropping your drone a few feet can damage the motors, gimbal or camera in such a severe way, it may become unstable or operate poorly. DO YOU REALLY WANT TOO RISK A 3-10 FOOT DROP DESTROYING YOUR CAMERA AND then having to send it in for repairs while you wait 2 weeks.?

I have built a prototype that doesn't fall off and can take a decent impact at about 15ft onto hard ground. If the ground is flat, the camera and gimbal will not be harmed. Even the intense jerk won't damage. As I said I've been testing it. Not on purpose, but over a year now, I have had 10 incidents where the guard was on and the gimbal suffered no damage, scratches or malfunvtion in any way. I hit a couple trees and then hit the lawn below. Once I hit the roadway at about 15 ft. Several times, I just dropped the thing from 5 feet onto hard cement or tile.

Nothing happened. I can't imagine what would have happened if my prototype guard wasn't attached. I won't fly without it. Hell, I won't walk around with the drone, without the guard on.

Here are pics of my latest, lightest and strongest gimbal guard. It has saved my gimbal and camera too many times. Yes, from minor accidents, but considering how weak and fragile the gimbal and camera are currently, the guard saved me from having to send my drone in for a 2 week repair job.

Here Are some Pics, THIS IS NOT AN AD. I will not give out contact info. It works for me, that's all I care about. I even added a sun visor for added stability and protection.

View attachment 164388
Sounds to me like a little more practice on safe flying might be in order. If you’ve crashed the drone that many times I’d say you’re flying a bit more recklessly than most! Just sayin’.

I’m with you on this. I come from the days when drones used rubber bands to support a camera over a decade ago before someone invented the gimbal…DJI was the first I knew of on the S800 in 2013. I’ve owned huge aircraft, flown with a $40,000 REDCAM hanging down and have yet to destroy one. I never even think about my Mavic gimbal getting dismembered. That would take a crash. How would I crash it. It makes beautiful soft landings. How does someone drop it from 10 feet up as described. Maybe better piloting is required here and not a guard.
Hello, I share your opinion too. I have been piloting drones for more than 10 years, I have my UAV operator's license, and I have never had an accident with my drones, (Inspire2, Phantom 4Pro, Mavic 2Pro, Mavic 3) If I use protectors for the camera, due to the possible glare of the lens depending on the time of the flight and the orientation of the drone, I think that more than "inventing or creating a" protector for the gimball ", the way of piloting the drone should be improved, it is not minor, a Mavic Interprise, is an expensive piece of equipment, designed for more specific jobs. I believe that no matter how complex the flight to which this equipment is subjected is, it is not justified to expose it to deliberate falls from 10 or 15 feet, as he proudly comments. this person, I am clear that everyone will know how to use and care for their equipment, but I think that it is not going there in terms of looking for a more robust protector to "protect the gimball", I think that the issue is going to improve the shape to pilot the drone…. Nothing else.

Hello, I share your opinion too. I have been piloting drones for more than 10 years, I have my UAV operator's license, and I have never had an accident with my drones, (Inspire2, Phantom 4Pro, Mavic 2Pro, Mavic 3) If I use protectors for the camera, due to the possible glare of the lens depending on the time of the flight and the orientation of the drone, I think that more than "inventing or creating a" protector for the gimball ", the way of piloting the drone should be improved, it is not minor, a Mavic Interprise, is an expensive piece of equipment, designed for more specific jobs. I believe that no matter how complex the flight to which this equipment is subjected is, it is not justified to expose it to deliberate falls from 10 or 15 feet, as he proudly comments. this person, I am clear that everyone will know how to use and care for their equipment, but I think that it is not going there in terms of looking for a more robust protector to "protect the gimball", I think that the issue is going to improve the shape to pilot the drone…. Nothing else.
I don't deliberately hit my drone on things and cause these minor incidences. I use the drone so much. Every day in fact, that Just by regular multiple daily use and flight locations, I am bound to bump into things. I hate the idea, that I have this expensive machine, that I just took the gimbal cover off and , go forbid, I hit a co worker who is carrying heavy equipment with the bulbous camera sticking out of my M3E. Or other Mavics for that matter. Coming in for my tenth landing of the day, sometimes I hit things. I just prey, It's not the gimbal. The guard protects the gimbal from these minor incidences.

• Wow
I don't deliberately hit my drone on things and cause these minor incidences. I use the drone so much. Every day in fact, that Just by regular multiple daily use and flight locations, I am bound to bump into things. I hate the idea, that I have this expensive machine, that I just took the gimbal cover off and , go forbid, I hit a co worker who is carrying heavy equipment with the bulbous camera sticking out of my M3E. Or other Mavics for that matter. Coming in for my tenth landing of the day, sometimes I hit things. I just prey, It's not the gimbal. The guard protects the gimbal from these minor incidences.
To get just a little picky, if you hit a coworker carrying heavy equipment, the gimbal will be the last thing to worry about. The coworker's hospital bill would come first. And, doing that many flights and landings every day, you should NEVER crash into anything. You are obviously being too careless. Sorry if this tweaks you, but it needs said.

I don't deliberately hit my drone on things and cause these minor incidences. I use the drone so much. Every day in fact, that Just by regular multiple daily use and flight locations, I am bound to bump into things.
I cannot believe your caviler attitude towards landing safely and the safety of those around you...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143