DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I always get flac for telling you all this. A better gimbal camera guard meeds to be in place on the Mavic UAVs. The camera is too exposed. w pics

I consider myself a pretty good pilot and I have downed a drone due to a phone line close to a roof I neglected to spot on my preflight. A guard would not have helped with my mistake of not carefully checking my flight area that day. My landing and takeoff areas are always out of bounds to anyone but me or my spotters. Cones, Tape, and signs displayed. No one allowed for 40 ft. No exceptions! There really should be no way of hitting anyone or anything while taking off or landing. If you think there is a risk You are flying to close. Now if you do what I did and fly without checking the area carefully enough the guard might help you from getting the gimble ripped off the drone by the wire or branch it tangles with. But as everyone is saying the best guard is to guard against ourselves making mistakes.

Reactions: pentatony
To get just a little picky, if you hit a coworker carrying heavy equipment, the gimbal will be the last thing to worry about. The coworker's hospital bill would come first. And, doing that many flights and landings every day, you should NEVER crash into anything. You are obviously being too careless. Sorry if this tweaks you, but it needs said.
I avoid my co workers like the plague when taking off or landing. They are the most important thing to avoid. I could care less about the gimbal if I was too close to someone. Thst will never happen. I won't ever get near a person. They are my highest priority.

• Sad
Reactions: mobilehomer
I made no mention of people in my landing area. How you turned poor landings into "people filled" zones is quite perplexing. How did you get from there to that other place. A to the E?
You took us there when you asked about hitting a coworker carrying heavy equipment. Along with the rest of that particular post about multiple landings per day and you sometimes "hit things".

Reactions: okw and mobilehomer
Hello, I share your opinion too. I have been piloting drones for more than 10 years, I have my UAV operator's license, and I have never had an accident with my drones, (Inspire2, Phantom 4Pro, Mavic 2Pro, Mavic 3) If I use protectors for the camera, due to the possible glare of the lens depending on the time of the flight and the orientation of the drone, I think that more than "inventing or creating a" protector for the gimball ", the way of piloting the drone should be improved, it is not minor, a Mavic Interprise, is an expensive piece of equipment, designed for more specific jobs. I believe that no matter how complex the flight to which this equipment is subjected is, it is not justified to expose it to deliberate falls from 10 or 15 feet, as he proudly comments. this person, I am clear that everyone will know how to use and care for their equipment, but I think that it is not going there in terms of looking for a more robust protector to "protect the gimball", I think that the issue is going to improve the shape to pilot the drone…. Nothing else.
Good point. The drone is expensive. The gimbal and camera cost half the price of the drone. Why not reduce the chances of it getting damaged. Did I say, I proudly would like saying, I crash". No. I'm not proud of it at all. I just want to save some money. That's my only reason for this idea. Also, less time in the shop.

You took us there when you asked about hitting a coworker carrying heavy equipment. Along with the rest of that particular post about multiple landings per day and you sometimes "hit things".
Not literally. I was talking more about the equipement they are carrying anyway. Who want's to hit a big truck even more expensive equipement. Hitting the person would be worse. I'll say it again. People are off limits to my drones position. I avoid them like the plague. Sorry I brought you there.

• Sad
Reactions: mobilehomer
Not literally. I was talking more about the equipement they are carrying anyway. Who want's to hit a big truck even more expensive equipement. Hitting the person would be worse. I'll say it again. People are off limits to my drones position. I avoid them like the plague. Sorry I brought you there.
Are you just hitting RTH and walking away? I don't understand if your using VLOS how you risk hitting so many objects?

How about just trying to become a better pilot so you don't hit things so often? Maybe you are more careful when people are around. Practice that with everything around your drone. I've only hit one thing and that was a few years ago when the Mini 1 came out. Went into ATTI mode that I didnt expect to happen. I learned first off... hitting things turns into an unexpected and unwanted expense.
If you would remove that contraption off the front of your drone and turn the OA on, maybe the bird wouldn't let you fly into things. Just sayin.
Just curious, do you drive your car every day? What condition is it in?

I hit a co worker who is carrying heavy equipment

How did you get from there to that other place. A to the E?

I have had 10 incidents where the guard was on and the gimbal suffered no damage, scratches or malfunvtion in any way. I hit a couple trees and then hit the lawn below. Once I hit the roadway at about 15 ft. Several times, I just dropped the thing from 5 feet onto hard cement or tile.
"I hit a co worker who is carrying heavy equipment"

Those are your words, not mine… so I do not think it's much of a stretch that when a co-worker who is carrying heavy equipment should have to watch out for your "willy-nilly" flying that folks who might not be anywhere near your "landing area (perhaps Crashing Area is a more fitting description…) might also be in Harm's Way…

And you also wrote, "Coming in for my tenth landing of the day, sometimes I hit things."

It looks like you've done a pretty good job of hitting everything from "A" to "E" along with "L" for Lawn, "T" for Tree, and "R" for the Roadway… I could go on but this is getting ridiculous…

By your own definition, you are not a safe pilot… YOU ARE NOT BOUND TO HIT SOMETHING!!! You hit things because you are careless…

Just by regular multiple daily use and flight locations, I am bound to bump into things.
may I suggest that if you think this is a normal every day occurrence to flying drones that you take some photos and advertise the drone on the classified ads... after you get it repaired by DJI of course

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LoudThunder
I always get told that the camera being exposed as much as it is, is simply a part of the design of these camera drones and there is not much to do about it. There is plenty to do about , if you ask me. A LIGHTWEIGHT GUARD THAT DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH CAMERA MOVEMENT and or VISUALIZATION, CAN BE ADDED TO THAT AREA OF THE DRONE.

[snip]
In my opinion (and I'm not a professional drone pilot, yet) that better camera gimbal guard is called a better pilot. Learn how to fly without crashing rather than worry about how to protect your camera in a crash. Take care when handling your drone to ensure you don't drop it. I wouldn't buy a camera guard.

That said, we should use prop guards when flying inside and when people may be close, and the DJI Avata has built-in prop guards. But this is to protect people and things, not so much the drone. The goal is 100% to prevent injuring people, and maybe not do property damage too. The drone is always expendable.

And... we do have cell phone cases because we do drop our cell phones. But I think we handle our cell phones much more casually and frequently than we handle our drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada