DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am amazed by this...

I'm not sure that's true, but in any event, the *magnitude* of the risk matters, not just any percentage increase.

Three times nuthin' is still nuthin'...

Not strictly zero of course, But if the magnitude of the risk is lower than things people do everyday...like drive to the store...then it's EFFECTIVELY zero.

TCS
Think like this instead ... if your property was somewhere under that flight & your family moved around there in the possible "crash zone" ... what would you feel about this then. I mean this could have gone wrong in so many ways making that drone coming crashing down uncontrolled ... maybe he could have miscalculated the needed battery to get down again, or maybe the motors couldn't re-arm again after he had disarmed them ... or a HW fault, a prop failure.

Even taking away the risk of colliding with manned air traffic this was just plain stupidity made only for the purpose of getting YT likes.

I'm not sure that's true, but in any event, the *magnitude* of the risk matters, not just any percentage increase.

Three times nuthin' is still nuthin'...

Not strictly zero of course, But if the magnitude of the risk is lower than things people do everyday...like drive to the store...then it's EFFECTIVELY zero.

TCS

Not sure my comments are coming out in support of this flight, they shouldn't be.
Like I said, more chance of winning lotto, but someone wins lotto every week.
This would be a terrible lotto to 'win' though.

Reactions: Droniac
I'd say this shows the gulf that exists between the aviation world and the drone community ( and possibly even basic sanity) If you'd asked pilots about this, I'd be amazed if any would welcome the antics of a moron seeking to flap his ego in public for the sake of Youtube likes. I assume those who think this cheeky chap is a breath of fresh air have never seen the film of the test collision between Phantom and wing spar, or realise that the contact of any drone with a heli's tail rotor would almost certainly result in the death of anyone onboard. The sky is big, yet aircraft continue to collide in it with monotonous regularity. Rules are there to try to keep the air safe for all of us who share it. Selfishness and stupidity should never be celebrated here.

There's clear vision of a runway that the drone is almost directly in line with...... and on the subject of bird strike, while a jet engine is designed to tolerate ingestion of some level of organic matter (which can still cause huge problems), the ingestion of a drone with the added issue of a LiPo battery is an entirely different matter, not to mention the result of an impact on cockpit or control surfaces (as noted by Jamesz)

Putting aside for the moment any argument about the legalities, moralities, etc of the operator and their actions, I for one could not live with myself if my recklessness was directly responsible for even a near miss with an aircraft, given the possibility of loss of life from a collision or anyone on the ground unlucky enough to be impacted by something falling on them as a result.

Think like this instead ... if your property was somewhere under that flight & your family moved around there in the possible "crash zone" ... what would you feel about this then. I mean this could have gone wrong in so many ways making that drone coming crashing down uncontrolled ... maybe he could have miscalculated the needed battery to get down again, or maybe the motors couldn't re-arm again after he had disarmed them ... or a HW fault, a prop failure.

Even taking away the risk of colliding with manned air traffic this was just plain stupidity made only for the purpose of getting YT likes.
Probability rules, possibility drools.

As far as I know I'm the only Droner in my neighborhood, although I hope to convert others eventually. But if one of them decided to fly his drone up to 13,000 ft, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest from a safety standpoint.

The trip down the winding, lousy mountain road to get to Walmart on an icy winter day poses WAY more risk to me than any drone damage under this (and man other) scenarios.

It depends on where the flight is done. All other things being equal, the risk is proportional to the population density. The risk where I live is almost immeasurably small, because there are so few things (or people) to hit.

TCS

I'd say this shows the gulf that exists between the aviation world and the drone community ( and possibly even basic sanity) If you'd asked pilots about this, I'd be amazed if any would welcome the antics of a moron seeking to flap his ego in public for the sake of Youtube likes. I assume those who think this cheeky chap is a breath of fresh air have never seen the film of the test collision between Phantom and wing spar, or realise that the contact of any drone with a heli's tail rotor would almost certainly result in the death of anyone onboard. The sky is big, yet aircraft continue to collide in it with monotonous regularity. Rules are there to try to keep the air safe for all of us who share it. Selfishness and stupidity should never be celebrated here.
I have about 1100 hrs flight time, private, instrument and multi-engine.

The basic reason that VFR flight is safe is:

Big sky, small airplane.

I've had big birds get closer to me than I'd like on several occasions. It didn't deter me from flying, and I felt no desire to ban big birds.

;-)

TCS

I have about 1100 hrs flight time, private, instrument and multi-engine.

The basic reason that VFR flight is safe is:

Big sky, small airplane.

I've had big birds get closer to me than I'd like on several occasions. It didn't deter me from flying, and I felt no desire to ban big birds.

;-)

TCS
To be fair, I think doing...questionable...things for YT likes is more than a bit demented...

TCS

( Mod Removed Inappropriate Remark)."he's breaking the rules, he's gonna make us all look bad, he's a danger to the public, he is disrespecting everything us angelic pilots who abide by every single rule, he's going to ruin it for all of us.. etc etc. Get a life. Jeese, yup he broke the law. BUT, now I/ we don't have to. Now that I saw him do it, as have so many others, perhaps they won't do it, because it's been done. Maybe it's out of their system. They can move on to restricted and safe flying again. Yey for the cowboy, I say. I loved the video. By the way, the odds of this drone causing deaths by hitting a plane are more than likely over a trillion to one. If the drone even hit an airliner, it would probably ding it and cause an emergency landing to be initiated as a precautionary measure, but this scenario even happening is virtually impossible. It's not like we have a million drones doing this while a million planes are flying by. The odds of an impact are easily less than the odds of an impact with a large bird, such as geese. Now, these (geese) pack a huge...
These things have hit a few occupied aircraft. The Army is out repair costs for a helicopter blade when its blackhawk hit a drone. So it does happens. Trillion to one? It's probably a lot better odds than that. In this clip. there was a man arrested when his drone crashed into an LAPD helicopter. There was also one in New Zealand where the occupant of a helicopter was injured by a drone that came through the windscreen--drone struck the aircraft and the occupant. You can search the internet to find all kinds of horrific injuries when drones strike people. The best luck the occupant in the helicopter had that day is that the drone that hit her probably didn't have spinning blades by the time it finished coming through the window.. But, if helicopters can hit them, so can planes. Here is a demonstration showing that a drone strike will be A bit more than a ding in many cases involving fixed wing aircraft. With damage like this, a drone can certainly disable critical flight controls. In 2018, over 2600 pilots reported sighting a drone while in flight. This being 2021, you can bet there are a bunch more drones in the sky than there were 3 years ago. If it's close enough to be seen, then it's close enough to hit. Oh, here's one that is also a bit more than a ding. So: trillion to one? No. Only a ding? No.

Just remember - Without rules there would be no criminals. (It was so good back in the early days of RC flying).
Perhaps its time to take a look at this from another angle.
One of the very attractive features about flying drones, is not only the opportunity to take aerial videos and pictures, but also the freedom to send our imaginations flying with the birds in the sky.

For me at any rate, I find this part is where the real exhilaration stems from. What do you think?

Yes I have to agree with you all, there is now a good case for regulation of our wonderful hobby, caused in no small part by those who choose to go outside what is considered "normal" behavior.

Its just that we are so over regulated in every possible way in everyday life, that it seems refreshing now and again to read about someone doing something daring even though it may be "highly illegal"

By the way - How many of you have a little bvlos flight now and then?? - I don't...:mad:

Now over to you fun police.

• Haha
Just remember - Without rules there would be no criminals. (It was so good back in the early days of RC flying).
One of the very attractive features about flying drones, is not only the opportunity to take aerial videos and pictures, but also the freedom to send our imaginations flying with the birds in the sky.

For me at any rate, I find this part is where the real exhilaration stems from. What do you think?

Yes I have to agree with you all, there is now a good case for regulation of our wonderful hobby, caused in no small part by those who choose to go outside what is considered "normal" behavior.

Its just that we are so over regulated in every possible way in everyday life, that it seems refreshing now and again to read about someone doing something daring even though it may be "highly illegal"

By the way - How many of you have a little bvlos flight now and then?? - I don't...:mad:

There’s a valid reason why we have fun police - because some can’t self-regulate and keep within reasonable/acceptable norms. I keep saying we legislate for the lowest common denominator.

I keep saying we legislate for the lowest common denominator.

That’s for sure, the inept and the ones that will break any law if they feel like it.
You only need to look at traffic laws to see massively blanketed rules for those 2 groups.
The rest just have to put up with it.

edit typo

Last edited:

I'm with you!

I want to *BE* the drone!

:)

TCS

Reactions: mereflyer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member