DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 I Am Tired Of The Rain......

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
But at least coming down in the worst of it is fun.

Attachments

• Photo_6619203_DJI_67_jpg_4716913_0_202165191746_photo_original-01.jpeg
    Photo_6619203_DJI_67_jpg_4716913_0_202165191746_photo_original-01.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 60
  • 197405759_10107503163602166_8061054713465241005_n.jpg
    197405759_10107503163602166_8061054713465241005_n.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 60
  • l2_1.1.3-03.jpeg
    l2_1.1.3-03.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 61
Isn't the rain bad for the motors?

Yes, it is. And since the drone isn't sealed, as folks who have dumped their drone into a lake can attest, the rain can mess up a lot of other things as well. Much of the internal electronics relies on super small currents, and rain (which is almost never "pure") can leave residue that interferes with those signal paths ... not to mention the potential for corrosion since "drying" out a drone isn't a quick operation. Intentionally flying in fog, rain, or snow is dumb. If nobody would intentionally leave their cell phone out in the rain, why on earth would they do the same to a drone? Makes no sense to me.

Yes, it is. And since the drone isn't sealed, as folks who have dumped their drone into a lake can attest, the rain can mess up a lot of other things as well. Much of the internal electronics relies on super small currents, and rain (which is almost never "pure") can leave residue that interferes with those signal paths ... not to mention the potential for corrosion since "drying" out a drone isn't a quick operation. Intentionally flying in fog, rain, or snow is dumb. If nobody would intentionally leave their cell phone out in the rain, why on earth would they do the same to a drone? Makes no sense to me.
My drone is a tool... I have it set up to be as safe as possible to get wet... Also DJI conformal coats more than you think.

All that being said, its not gona last like a wrench or screw driver.... its purpose is to get the shots I want.

Isn't the rain bad for the motors?
My drone is a tool... I have it set up to be as safe as possible to get wet... Also DJI conformal coats more than you think.

All that being said, its not gona last like a wrench or screw driver.... its purpose is to get the shots I want.

I know what conformal coating is. I was an electronics engineer and operations manager in the semiconductor industry for almost 35 years. Anyone who knows what they are talking about will tell you that conformal coatings mostly protect against dirt and are borderline useless against long term moisture ingress. And since you aren't taking your drone apart after every rain flight to quickly dry it out, long term moisture ingress is what you get and the effects are exacerbated by the high temperatures that exist for some components inside the drone.

But if you want to treat your drone as an expendable tool, that's fine with me. It's still a dumb idea to fly in the rain for the majority of folks who would like to preserve their investment.

I know what conformal coating is. I was an electronics engineer and operations manager in the semiconductor industry for almost 35 years. Anyone who knows what they are talking about will tell you that conformal coatings mostly protect against dirt and are borderline useless against long term moisture ingress. And since you aren't taking your drone apart after every rain flight to quickly dry it out, long term moisture ingress is what you get and the effects are exacerbated by the high temperatures that exist for some components inside the drone.

But if you want to treat your drone as an expendable tool, that's fine with me. It's still a dumb idea to fly in the rain for the majority of folks who would like to preserve their investment.
I respect your opinion, and I don't disagree. If you want to prolong the life of your drone don't fly it in humid air, rain, very hot or cold heat, or dusty conditions.

My advice treat your drone like a pair or hiking boots or running shoes... more you use it you get closer to the next pair.

I respect your opinion, and I don't disagree. If you want to prolong the life of your drone don't fly it in humid air, rain, very hot or cold heat, or dusty conditions.

My advice treat your drone like a pair or hiking boots or running shoes... more you use it you get closer to the next pair.

Good comment ... made me smile. We all have different reasons we fly, and different perspectives on what we want out of a drone.

Reactions: VenomXts
I actually dropped a mavic 2 in a freshwater lake. It was one foot under for 20 seconds. I let it dry for 3 days and used a hair dryer intermittently. It's been flying for over a year now without any issues. I just got lucky I guess.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot