DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I cannot interpret this warning about flying in parts of Florida - Aloft

mavictk

Reactions
Let me start off by posting the warning from Aloft below. When I read the advisory I cannot tell if flying is prohibited or one must use extreme caution. To me the advisory is contradictory. Does anyone have any insight? Note that this is NOT in the area devastated by Hurricane Ian.@Vic Moss
image0.png

Looks like the area you want to fly is clear to do so.

The key phrase bothering me about flying is "Do not fly your drone near or around areas affected by #HurricaneIan. the word "affected" can have a very broad or narrow meaning.

The key phrase bothering me about flying is "Do not fly your drone near or around areas affected by #HurricaneIan. the word "affected" can have a very broad or narrow meaning.
Yes, and just use caution. However, you said that area wasn't affected by IAN so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Use this map to see if there are any TNFZ. If not, you should be fine.

Yes, and just use caution. However, you said that area wasn't affected by IAN so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Use this map to see if there are any TNFZ. If not, you should be fine.
Now maybe I am being tricky with my wording. While SW Florida was devastated this area had some amount of wind damage and flooding. I doubt there are any hurricane related emergency services taking place except for getting the power grid completely working.

I doubt there are any hurricane related emergency services taking place except for getting the power grid completely working.
After a natural disaster, I'd think the odds of seeing more low flying aircraft would be higher for some time to come. But as chaotic as it is in the affected areas, I doubt most people will worry about a drone. I'd even expect to see drones in the air surveying the damage. But you are simply responsible for your flight. If you feel the risk is low and your flight will be safe, it's your decision to launch.

It's reasonable to expect more aircraft than normal in the area - both manned and unmanned. My take on the warning is in the same spirit as asking folks to stay away from disaster areas on the ground. That is, keep out of the way and let the utility crews & public safety do their jobs. Don't be a looky-loo.

Let me start off by posting the warning from Aloft below. When I read the advisory I cannot tell if flying is prohibited or one must use extreme caution. To me the advisory is contradictory. Does anyone have any insight? Note that this is NOT in the area devastated by Hurricane Ian.@Vic Moss

Seems pretty straight forward ... DO NOT FLY your drone because there are first responders in the area flying their drones. YOU MUST SEEK clearance from the FAA (or risk a call and perhaps a penalty $$$) . Those fines have been known to be hefty. I can see your reason to fly and perhaps do your own rescue op but at your own risk.

The FAA seems to have realized their wording was too broad and made changes.

So it doesn't mean you can't fly, it just means you need to look out for low-flying craft and don't fly over active rescue areas. If you plan on helping with search and rescue, let the FAA know first.

Hurricane Recovery Advisory​

This is only a cautionary advisory and is not associated with any TFRs or other restrictions. All drone operators are advised to use extreme caution while operating in this area due to the increased low level activity of both manned and drone aircraft associated with hurricane relief and recovery operations.​

Do not fly your drone near or around areas affected by #HurricaneIan as you may be interfering with relief and recovery efforts. You must seek FAA approval through our special process in order to help with emergency response efforts. https://www.faa.gov/uas/advanced_operations/emergency_situations

The FAA seems to have realized their wording was too broad and made changes.

So it doesn't mean you can't fly, it just means you need to look out for low-flying craft and don't fly over active rescue areas. If you plan on helping with search and rescue, let the FAA know first.
Simply thank you.

As a pilot in that same area, be cautious about First Flight and the Air Force Reserve who really like flying through that corridor.

I recommend using the app Flightradar24 to see what the air traffic is like in your area. It won't show all air traffic , but it might give you some sense. I'm currently supporting the USCG with their response, and though they aren't in your area, I know they are very busy coordinating recovery efforts in many places. I also just checked the post-storm imagery and don't see any for the Viera area, which means at least there was less damage there.

As a 107 and a journalist, the first thing I would have done is to go through the permission process on the app. That could be the difference, possibly, between recreational (permission denied) and 107 commercial (permission given). Was this when rescues were being done, or after they were completed? A quick look at news coverage showed commercial UAS pilots were flying in 'affected' areas for their jobs.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661