DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I crashed my drone at the Golden Gate Bridge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohana

Reactions
Hi, I was flying my drone at the Golden Gate Bridge when I lost my connection and it fell from the sky. I think the metal beams absorbed the signal.

Bad luck for sure. Did you have your info on it? You do know most everywhere at the GGB is a NFZ right? It is mostly National Park land and there is the Commodor Center Airport.

Hope it went into water.

I am sorry you lost your Mavic!

Mavics don't normally drop from the sky unless there is a catastrophic failure such as loss of battery power. Normally it will either hover or attempt to return to home if it loses signal. Of course the towers are pretty darn high, so maybe it hit a tower on the way back.

BTW - I checked DJI's geo map and there is no NFZ around the GG Bridge. I hope they update this to include National Parks, and other parks with zone restrictions because I find it very hard to figure out where drone flying is restricted while travelling.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Last edited:
Reactions: Budmancan and Ohana
I don't mean to be a buzzkill but this is the problem why they are putting NFZ into our drones as there are people out there not doing the right thing with there drones as like in Australia where I am from you find out where the NFZ are before you fly there and you don't go by just an app you check through your local authority where you are permitted to fly like hear Sydney harbour bridge is totally out of bounds I put it down to we as drone operator must use more common sense because at the end of the day we will loose and I for one don't want that happening

Sorry, have to be blunt here, but this is yet another inexperienced operator flying around a bridge. The Mavic is able to fly with little assistance but it doesn't mean inexperienced people should fly it to these places. I have nothing against flying around bridges but pilots need the proper experience to do it, or this happens. For all we know the Mavic could have landed on someone's car.

Reactions: BrAinZ
Bad luck for sure. Did you have your info on it? You do know most everywhere at the GGB is a NFZ right? It is mostly National Park land and there is the Commodor Center Airport.

The airspace above National parks as a general rule is not a NFZ.

Last edited:
I am sorry you lost your Mavic!

Mavics don't normally drop from the sky unless there is a catastrophic failure such as loss of battery power. Normally it will either hover or attempt to return to home if it loses signal. Of course the towers are pretty darn high, so maybe it hit a tower on the way back.

BTW - I checked DJI's geo map and there is no NFZ around the GG Bridge. I hope they update this to include National Parks, and other parks with zone restrictions because I find it very hard to figure out where drone flying is restricted while travelling.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Thanks I definitely think so and I was being very careful.

B
The airspace above National parks as a general rule is not a NFZ.
Very true, he could have taken off and landed outside the NP lands... but have you seen the park land in that area? It covers a lot of space making it almost impossible to fly the GGB without violating that rule. The red is NP land and the yellow an airport...

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 12.48.53 PM.png

Reactions: Ohana
Back off. man. He was answering the direct question in post #2, "Did you have your info on it?"

Don't be so quick to judge others.
Don't get your panties in a bunch mate! I wasn't sure, so that's why I asked. Wasn't judging just yet... ;)

Hi, I was flying my drone at the Golden Gate Bridge when I lost my connection and it fell from the sky. I think the metal beams absorbed the signal.

Sorry to hear about the Mavic crash. I'd love to know more about what happened. I have flown my Mavic over 20 times at the GGB without any issues except for some high winds. The GGB is indeed a NFZ but it is hardly enforced by the bridge patrol/highway patrol. I flew last week and a park police officer rolled up and he thought it was so cool and just told me to be safe. What exactly happened? Are you new to flying?

Sorry to hear about the Mavic crash. I'd love to know more about what happened. I have flown my Mavic over 20 times at the GGB without any issues except for some high winds. The GGB is indeed a NFZ but it is hardly enforced by the bridge patrol/highway patrol. I flew last week and a park police officer rolled up and he thought it was so cool and just told me to be safe. What exactly happened? Are you new to flying?
I was flying it at the Golden Gate Bridge and I was trying to fly it through the metal pillars at the very top. And so i was surrounded by metal. Thanks

I was flying it at the Golden Gate Bridge and I was trying to fly it through the metal pillars at the very top. And so i was surrounded by metal. Thanks
LOL, perhaps a suicide jumper changed his or her mind and grabbed onto it on the way down. Honestly, I could give a rats *** if you lost it, I can only imagine car crash that would cause if it fell in front of, or on a car below. I bend the rule's as well but I tend to fly under bridges if possible. Everyone out trying to be like Casey flying where they should not, people are even adding the same lame *** VLOG music he uses as well. Maybe you should see if the FAA can help you find it.

Reactions: Flycaster and Rnl
B
Very true, he could have taken off and landed outside the NP lands... but have you seen the park land in that area? It covers a lot of space making it almost impossible to fly the GGB without violating that rule. The red is NP land and the yellow an airport...

View attachment 14202
Unless you were on a

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member