DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I give up. If I do it what will I gain?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
My Mini 3 Pro is still operating on legacy firmware. I have resisted updating because I had (and still have) objections to RID, how it is implemented and how exposed it can make a drone and pilot. But I guess I recognize that the inevitiable is inevitable and if RID becomes an issue for me I guess I will just deal with it when it arises.

But before I just switch it all on and upgrade firmware on Mini 3 pro and DJI RC controller, I'd like to know which features were installed in the past few months. In my defense I've had some recent health issues and haven't kept up with anything.

So which cool features are now included for the Mini 3 that weren't available from January until today? Are they useful? Which are your favorites? Anything else I should know about.

FWIW I also have Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro. I also find it interesting that after coming out with the Mavic 3 Classic DJI has now just released the Mavic 3 Pro and goggle/controller options. So interestingl.

Reactions: Rchawks
Never give up!!! Remember the Alamo and Don Quixote! Grab your lance, hop on your donkey and ride!!! Let not the evil FAA deter your from your destiny! The drone world is looking to you to be our savior and lead us to victory over rid doom. Just let us know when you will be doing this so we can get video.

My Mini 3 Pro is still operating on legacy firmware. I have resisted updating because I had (and still have) objections to RID, how it is implemented and how exposed it can make a drone and pilot. But I guess I recognize that the inevitiable is inevitable and if RID becomes an issue for me I guess I will just deal with it when it arises.

But before I just switch it all on and upgrade firmware on Mini 3 pro and DJI RC controller, I'd like to know which features were installed in the past few months. In my defense I've had some recent health issues and haven't kept up with anything.

So which cool features are now included for the Mini 3 that weren't available from January until today? Are they useful? Which are your favorites? Anything else I should know about.

FWIW I also have Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro. I also find it interesting that after coming out with the Mavic 3 Classic DJI has now just released the Mavic 3 Pro and goggle/controller options. So interesti
Funny you should post what I was thinking. Although I'm not against RID so much as having my location available to non law enforcement individuals. But I am just about at the point of upgrading. One of the things that has held me back is last year I did a update and then started having an issue with lost of connection and RTH activation. Some of the add ons I believe are the ability to store your map ahead of time more efficiently, being able to dial in your speed and sensitivity settings more efficiently. There's also the goggles and motion controller which will be compatible. If anyone would care to add to the list without being rude, please feel free to add to the list as I'm sure many would be interested in the information.

Reactions: Torque
Funny you should post what I was thinking. Although I'm not against RID so much as having my location available to non law enforcement individuals. But I am just about at the point of upgrading. One of the things that has held me back is last year I did a update and then started having an issue with lost of connection and RTH activation. Some of the add ons I believe are the ability to store your map ahead of time more efficiently, being able to dial in your speed and sensitivity settings more efficiently. There's also the goggles and motion controller which will be compatible. If anyone would care to add to the list without being rude, please feel free to add to the list as I'm sure many would be interested in the information.
I will just add that no one and that includes law enforcement needs to know my take off location

Thanks Rchawks. I was kind of put off by others' snarky comments. I wonder why people are prone to do that?
Someone suggested I was lazy, and couldn't know that I was having "issues" (that I would be willing to disclose in PM's) that were preventing me from doing my own research. I guess empathy and kindness is in short supply all over these days.

What I was trying to say was that while I have a basic objection to both the concept and execution of RID, I decided it would be a lot like "The Borg" and ultimately we will all be assimlated.

And so, as I have not kept up with features of any updates in firmware Go Fly app, etc, can anyone give me a syopsis of the newly installed features. I'm not sure which version of firmware or fly app, but I have the one prior to when RID was automatically switched on.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Torque and Rchawks
Whoah! No offense was meant by my "lazy" comment... in fact, it was mostly about me! Please accept my sincere apology, @vindibona1, I thought the joke was obvious, but it's clear I failed communicating that.

I'll readily admit I'm lazy about some things, reviewing release notes for someone else is one of those cases, so I'm still not gonna do it 😁😁😁 (to be clear gang, joking around again there)

I'm also on legacy firmware. I'm not convinced that any additional features would be worth broadcasting information about me, especially when I am a recreational flyer flying a drone that is under 250g.

Reactions: Rchawks
Welcome to the world where not only am I wondering if someone will shoot the drone, but find me and shoot me for trespassing in "their" sky. When I read about people being shot because they drove up the wrong driveway, or rang the wrong doorbell. What might happen if the same "citizens" took a disliking to my drone. Bad, bad FAA ruling.

FWIW I also have Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro. I also find it interesting that after coming out with the Mavic 3 Classic DJI has now just released the Mavic 3 Pro and goggle/controller options. So interestingl.
I, too, have been following this whole RID thing with a sense of distrust. I feel it’s law that’s being shoved down our throats and made possible by lies and deception. Due process was not followed by FAA in the course of establishing it. They have failed to make any attempt to define what “navigable airspace” is even. Earlier court cases questioning the use of electronic tracking/surveillance devices on people where there was a reasonable expectation of privacy (ie: within confines of their own property/home) determined such was unconstitutional if done without a search warrant. The airspace from just above ground level of my property is not “navigable” by any stretch of the imagination as it is heavily wooded. It is unwise for a private pilot to attempt flights at low altitude <500’ agl over wooded and hilly terrain. This is why we have a 400’ agl rule here, and it provides a 100’ safety buffer between our little drones and human carrying aircraft. This rule was devised by the FAA, and can be argued to indicate that even they (FAA) recognize altitudes below 500’ as being something other than “navigable” airspace. Currently there are lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of this law. Hopefully they are successful in their endeavors and this law is abolished.
However, I realize there are many folks who will scoff at anyone who is in noncompliance because the law says…
It is exactly nobody’s right to know when I fly a drone around my property out in the boonies. It’s overreaching to say they have any right to even know I own a drone in the first place. It’s also a shame that so many good folks are willing to just give up their freedoms for the sake of conforming to a broken system because that broken system says they should.

Am I wrong? Aren't sub 250 gram drones not req'd to be RID compatible?
The rule says that any drone that needs to be registered must have RID, which is the case for any drone over 250g but also any drone that is used for non-recreational (Part 107) purposes, regardless of weight. Apparently, DJI has decided to enable it on all drones because the drone cannot determine how it's being used, and providing a user-controlled option would pretty much make RID useless.

and providing a user-controlled option would pretty much make RID useless.
True, on current drones and going forward.

Though one user-controlled option for us owners of DJI 'legacy' drones is to simply not attach an aftermarket RID module.

I live and normally fly in a very rural part of Georgia, so there is never anyone close enough to me to pick up the signal anyway... but I intend to buy one though, provided they're relatively affordable, so I can fly my P3P and MPP in more populated areas. Will likely fly my soon-to-come Mini 3 Pro in more urban populated areas, for more reasons than one.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I, too, have been following this whole RID thing with a sense of distrust. I feel it’s law that’s being shoved down our throats and made possible by lies and deception. Due process was not followed by FAA in the course of establishing it. They have failed to make any attempt to define what “navigable airspace” is even. Earlier court cases questioning the use of electronic tracking/surveillance devices on people where there was a reasonable expectation of privacy (ie: within confines of their own property/home) determined such was unconstitutional if done without a search warrant. The airspace from just above ground level of my property is not “navigable” by any stretch of the imagination as it is heavily wooded. It is unwise for a private pilot to attempt flights at low altitude <500’ agl over wooded and hilly terrain. This is why we have a 400’ agl rule here, and it provides a 100’ safety buffer between our little drones and human carrying aircraft. This rule was devised by the FAA, and can be argued to indicate that even they (FAA) recognize altitudes below 500’ as being something other than “navigable” airspace. Currently there are lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of this law. Hopefully they are successful in their endeavors and this law is abolished.
However, I realize there are many folks who will scoff at anyone who is in noncompliance because the law says…
It is exactly nobody’s right to know when I fly a drone around my property out in the boonies. It’s overreaching to say they have any right to even know I own a drone in the first place. It’s also a shame that so many good folks are willing to just give up their freedoms for the sake of conforming to a broken system because that broken system says they should.
I don't want to get too far off the reservation, but I see a growing distrust in government which is getting worse every day. We see institutions and agencies that not only don't obey their own rules, but make unreasonable rules for others. We have agencies that make rules that are taken as law, not passed by Congress and create tyrannical situations. RID IMO is just one of them.

The forum won't let us get political, but I don't have to tell you what's going on. You can tell by what is in the news- and what is omitted in the news as well.

I’m seriously thinking about the upgrade , maybe this weekend, the reason being I’m tired of not having more control of the speed setting for Cinema mode as well as being able to save cache locations offline:

We can expect consumer drone use to become more and more restricted when Amazon and its competitors begin "delivery-by-drone" in earnest. I hope that delivery drones will have on-board transponders which will broadcast their location(s) real-time, so that hobby drones can detect their presence and automatically avoid them.

There is also the specter that violators may find themselves on the FAA/TSA's "No-Fly" list. As an airline retiree who enjoys free flight for life, that would kill me. I'm gonna stay legal, no matter what.

We can expect consumer drone use to become more and more restricted when Amazon and its competitors begin "delivery-by-drone" in earnest. I hope that delivery drones will have on-board transponders which will broadcast their location(s) real-time, so that hobby drones can detect their presence and automatically avoid them.
I hope they require ADS-B Out.

They won't.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer