DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I give up

I cannot fathom spending over 700$ on a controller that does not control my aircraft. Apparently on info, that can not be found now, that in the future it would work. But even more amazing is complaining about it and blaming DJI. Something is fishy about that post.

Reactions: Wlong3
I cannot fathom spending over 700$ on a controller that does not control my aircraft. Apparently on info, that can not be found now, that in the future it would work. But even more amazing is complaining about it and blaming DJI. Something is fishy about that post.

I will chalk it up to excitement over a new product release and being hopeful. For those of us who did not buy the M2P/Z combo last year we have been stuck with sunshades and dark screens. So when arguably the best UAV brand announces that their NEW drone will be compatible with the best controller, you tend to want to improve your enjoyment of the hobby.

Add to this the firmware that was released that made it compatible with the P4, the MA2 having Occusync 2.0, and the best resolution making it attractive to those who use multiple screens.

You see availability of popular items like the mini selling out and don't want to be without the best accessory since Crystal Sky. In the end it comes down to how everyone chooses to spend their cash. This is not a cheap hobby. If you want it get. If you get and can't use it send it back like I did. If it comes to fruition then I'll order it again and go from there.

For those who purchased the SC in hopes to use it with the MA2, I recommend you remain calm. DJI will come though. Try not to get caught up on promises of dates. I have bot the Mavic2 zoom and pro models. I would like the SC be usable with my Phantom 3 pro - never saw a promise of it, just a personal interest based on how much I enjoy using the SC.

The SC functionality and pure convenience are well worth he wait is my point here. If you sell or return the sC now, you stand a chance of missing out when DJI releases new code.

It took over a year to get the P4+ VR2 to work with the SC even the drone shipped with Occusync 2. So it may be a while for Mavic Air 2 to get support via a firmware update. But I am sure it will happen eventually. Only makes sense for DJI.

Paul C

I have been pondering a SC (have an air 2). I will be honest, i have a very very slight bitter taste in my mouth with DJI. The distance is overrated(certainly in UK)not that i have fully tested in the wide open yet. Also not replying to a message on their site. So i am very hesitant in dropping £500+ on a SC right now. Maybe if the inspire attraction wins out, i may then. But i am not hopeful for MA2 updates, just like the ongoing issue of CPU issues that i can trace back to 2017, yet many still have today. I think their innovation, is 2nd to none. But there are so many gremlins, heck i nearly got a mini and those seem even worse, shutting off or power lost in the air. I digress as per usual, but for now i wont be spending anymore with dji. Mini rant over, fly safe
I have the same experience now with DJI also at me they don't response about a question of the price when order and send to Thailand.
Strange and not exactly customer friendly.

Reactions: ven
So you watched some random guy's video who spews BS and yet somehow feel conned by DJI?

I think you're placing the blame in the wrong place. These Youtube videos are for crap.

I have the same problem with my car (Tesla) - tons of garbage videos that drown out real information.

I've learned to just ignore Youtube altogether. The so-called "information" is all garbage designed to "get you to mash that like button!!"

I can't find any evidence DJI claimed a 2-week leadtime. "Future" - yes, but don't see 2 weeks anywhere... just speculation from some garbage video.
Spot on I made the same big mistake believing droneon YouTube channel thinking he new as he started QUOTE I have been in touch with dji today and yes sc will be updated in to weeks, so I pulled him up on it and basically he just told me to go away and next time make my own mind up not good.

I will chalk it up to excitement over a new product release and being hopeful. For those of us who did not buy the M2P/Z combo last year we have been stuck with sunshades and dark screens. So when arguably the best UAV brand announces that their NEW drone will be compatible with the best controller, you tend to want to improve your enjoyment of the hobby.

Add to this the firmware that was released that made it compatible with the P4, the MA2 having Occusync 2.0, and the best resolution making it attractive to those who use multiple screens.

You see availability of popular items like the mini selling out and don't want to be without the best accessory since Crystal Sky. In the end it comes down to how everyone chooses to spend their cash. This is not a cheap hobby. If you want it get. If you get and can't use it send it back like I did. If it comes to fruition then I'll order it again and go from there.
despite of that all. where we are with SC - it runs - for now - ONLY 32 bit apps. So, it runs an android version of GO4 app, which is 32bit.

for reasons never published DJI started all new app - DJI Fly, in 64 bit, and they seemed to freeze all GO4 app updates.

so, for the SC to be able to talk with MA2 - either the GO4 app needs to be updated to learn aboout MA2 - unlikely, or the whole OS for SC needs to be reamped to work with 64bit apps - even more unlikely. so, overall on SC MA2 support - EVER - very unlikely.

to add to all that - DJI mentality is to pump out the product, get initial burst of sales to pay off the development and acquire anticipated margin - after that they would not give a rat`s *** to what happens to their customers, products, etc. - it is an model most chinese businesses run. it is what it is, do not expect miracles.
i talked about it in other post - the on-going continuity of the brand and cross-compatibility across various products is a task that requires management skills and organization or the process most those companies do not have and have 0 intention to have, as it costs quite a lot and requires a lot of effort. it is simply not needed in for 'immediate profit' model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rigsby01
despite of that all. where we are with SC - it runs - for now - ONLY 32 bit apps. So, it runs an android version of GO4 app, which is 32bit.

for reasons never published DJI started all new app - DJI Fly, in 64 bit, and they seemed to freeze all GO4 app updates.

so, for the SC to be able to talk with MA2 - either the GO4 app needs to be updated to learn aboout MA2 - unlikely, or the whole OS for SC needs to be reamped to work with 64bit apps - even more unlikely. so, overall on SC MA2 support - EVER - very unlikely.

to add to all that - DJI mentality is to pump out the product, get initial burst of sales to pay off the development and acquire anticipated margin - after that they would not give a rat`s *** to what happens to their customers, products, etc. - it is an model most chinese businesses run. it is what it is, do not expect miracles.
i talked about it in other post - the on-going continuity of the brand and cross-compatibility across various products is a task that requires management skills and organization or the process most those companies do not have and have 0 intention to have, as it costs quite a lot and requires a lot of effort. it is simply not needed in for 'immediate profit' model.
Yes understood got over it now just going to get a 2pro zoom and use that sc and if a update comes in the future it be a bonus, I wont listen to so called experts on you tube any more even if they are link to dji thanks again .

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider

The SC is perfectly capable of running 64-bit apps and OS.

There’s a bunch of confusion because, again, misinformation abounds.

Apparently some CPU reporting program misidentified the chip in the SC as a very old 32-bit processor. That’s not the case. It’s a Rockchip 3399 - fully 64-bit. It should be noted that the version of Android on the SC - 7.1.2 - is also fully 64-bit capable.

This is different than the CrystalSky which has a Rockchip 3288 - which is a 32-bit CPU.

The Smart Controller will support the Air 2; just a matter of “when”, not “if”.

CrystalSky will not.

Happy to place a friendly wager if you so choose.

The SC is perfectly capable of running 64-bit apps and OS.

There’s a bunch of confusion because, again, misinformation abounds.

Apparently some CPU reporting program misidentified the chip in the SC as a very old 32-bit processor. That’s not the case. It’s a Rockchip 3399 - fully 64-bit. It should be noted that the version of Android on the SC - 7.1.2 - is also fully 64-bit capable.

This is different than the CrystalSky which has a Rockchip 3288 - which is a 32-bit CPU.

The Smart Controller will support the Air 2; just a matter of “when”, not “if”.

CrystalSky will not.

Happy to place a friendly wager if you so choose.

it is the specific customized android build they use in the SC that is the issue, not the chip. all in all, in order to make SC run all new apps they need to provide a new flash for the SC core. it is what i think is highly unlikely to happen - same reason why crystalsky is stuck also. none of these items are _current_ revenue generators for dji anymore, so, they are on a backburner. but, who knows, i would love to add MA2 to my collection if it will work with the same SC as i do not want to use my phone for anything other than mavic mini.

it is the specific customized android build they use in the SC that is the issue, not the chip. all in all, in order to make SC run all new apps they need to provide a new flash for the SC core. it is what i think is highly unlikely to happen - same reason why crystalsky is stuck also. none of these items are _current_ revenue generators for dji anymore, so, they are on a backburner. but, who knows, i would love to add MA2 to my collection if it will work with the same SC as i do not want to use my phone for anything other than mavic mini.

Not true. Android 7.1.2 is absolutely 64-bit capable. It'd just be a recompile if at all; and likely not even that. Once my SC arrives, I'll check the build and let you know. And yes, I ordered one even though it doesn't work with my Air 2 yet .... because it will. It's coming.

It's also *not* why CrystalSky is stuck. CrystalSky is stuck because its processor - the 3288 only has 32-bit ARMv7-A cores. No 64-bit capability at all. It's a dead end.

Smart Controller has ARMv8-A cores; they are fully 64-bit.

Reactions: bzmot and Oglo
It does actually say the SC will work with any drone with Occusync 2.0 right there in the description - as long as your firmware is up to date. Not entirely true so far but I've got my fingers crossed......Screenshot_20200614-102949_DJI%20Store.jpegScreenshot_20200614-102923_DJI%20Store.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas