DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I got swarmed!

White Smoke

Reactions
Here's one for you. I was out flying today and started seeing black spots zipping across the screen in all differenty directions. I just attributed it to some bad electrical connection, but when I brought it back and landed it, it was being attacked by a swarm of bees. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that?

• Wow
Reactions: 4006448
Plenty of times, I am left wondering if the motor rpms are somewhere near queens' wing beat frequency and attract males who are incidentally known as drones.
If you see them try to get away from them, bees have a hard enough time without being shredded by drones.

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
Best to hit the up button when the bees show up. Probably you were under 100 above ground. Fly a bit higher and avoid them so you don’t spend 20 minutes cleaning your expensive camera equipment. Saves a few bees also.

Reactions: jimlips
It's Swarm Season for Honeybees, meaning a Queen and several thousand flying to a new home, probably what you encountered.

Reactions: Xitor
Here's one for you. I was out flying today and started seeing black spots zipping across the screen in all differenty directions. I just attributed it to some bad electrical connection, but when I brought it back and landed it, it was being attacked by a swarm of bees. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that?
Yes.
May flies!.
I was flying a waypoint mission at about 30m to avoid some poplar trees and was flying in parallel to a river on a very hot day. Eighty percent of the mission was OK but 20% looked like there was an electric storm. On halting the video image and inspecting a still frame you can see that the sky was full of may flies.

This is why you always see swallows feeding high up in the sky.

Yep. Plenty here room at certain times of the year. Little red spots all over the drone.

I'm allergic to bees o_O

I've returned with bee parts covering my drone. Had to get to 200' to get away from them. Not easy to remove either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916