DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC2 “Crashed” During Flight

davidarmenb

Reactions
There is no RC/RC2 section that I could find so I am posting in the general section!

Yesterday morning, while recording a Hyperlapse with my Air 3, the RC2 screen just went blank. It remained on, as the backlight was still lit, but it just turned full black mid-flight as if the FLY app crashed.

Interestingly, I was also recording my screen and the little popup indicator was still on the screen! So the screen just turned entirely black with nothing but the screen recording pop up showing on the display. I pressed the power button once, which normally puts the display into sleep, and this worked and turned off the display. I then pressed it again to turn the display back on. The backlight lit up but the screen remained blank except for the screen recording pop up. After a couple of seconds, the FLY app started up and the home page popped up. I pressed “Go Fly” and was finally able to see my drone video feed again. The drone was still taking the Hyperlapse as normal.

About five minutes later, while still taking that Hyperlapse, it happened again! This time I just waited and didn’t press the power button. After a number of seconds, the FLY app started up and I was able to press “Go Fly” and continue flying. And again, the drone itself was undisturbed, still taking the Hyperlapse.

To me this looks like the FLY app just completely crashed in a very interesting way, since the drone did not initiate RTH at all, which it normally does after being disconnected from the RC for about 3 seconds. So it somehow remained connected to the drone even after crashing?! Very fascinating indeed.

This is very concerning to me as it would be horrible for this to happen during an active flight when I am manually controlling the drone with the sticks. It took a good while to restart and let me have control over the drone again.

Fortunately, because I was recording my screen, the crash is on video. I uploaded it to YouTube.

Reactions: Telthecelt
which it normally does after being disconnected from the RC for about 3 seconds. So it somehow remained connected to the drone even after crashing?!
From the RC yes, but the app is a separate layer on top and not necessary, if the app crashes that doesn't mean the RC isn't still connected and working fine.

It took a good while to restart and let me have control over the drone again.
The aircraft would still be responding to the sticks then, since you're not supposed to rely on the camera view it would be no big deal. While in the hyperlapse you can always hit pause to regain manual control.

Last edited:
There is no RC/RC2 section that I could find so I am posting in the general section!

Yesterday morning, while recording a Hyperlapse with my Air 3, the RC2 screen just went blank. It remained on, as the backlight was still lit, but it just turned full black mid-flight as if the FLY app crashed.

Interestingly, I was also recording my screen and the little popup indicator was still on the screen! So the screen just turned entirely black with nothing but the screen recording pop up showing on the display. I pressed the power button once, which normally puts the display into sleep, and this worked and turned off the display. I then pressed it again to turn the display back on. The backlight lit up but the screen remained blank except for the screen recording pop up. After a couple of seconds, the FLY app started up and the home page popped up. I pressed “Go Fly” and was finally able to see my drone video feed again. The drone was still taking the Hyperlapse as normal.

About five minutes later, while still taking that Hyperlapse, it happened again! This time I just waited and didn’t press the power button. After a number of seconds, the FLY app started up and I was able to press “Go Fly” and continue flying. And again, the drone itself was undisturbed, still taking the Hyperlapse.

To me this looks like the FLY app just completely crashed in a very interesting way, since the drone did not initiate RTH at all, which it normally does after being disconnected from the RC for about 3 seconds. So it somehow remained connected to the drone even after crashing?! Very fascinating indeed.

This is very concerning to me as it would be horrible for this to happen during an active flight when I am manually controlling the drone with the sticks. It took a good while to restart and let me have control over the drone again.

Fortunately, because I was recording my screen, the crash is on video. I uploaded it to YouTube.
Interesting but worrying. The only thing I can offer is a similar scare a few times recently with my RC while flying the Mini 3 Pro. The flying screen suddenly disappears and the GoFly screen appears. Too bad if I'm attempting something critical at the time. I have to press Go Fly to get back to seeing where I am. People on YT have suggested it's due to touching the screen accidentally while using the sticks. I'll be recording onto the RC next time I get weather to fly and take extra not to touch the screen and see what happens.

Sounds like it can't handle running multiple apps at once.

Reactions: sarahb
I also had the screen blank once. Screen recording may be a factor, but I haven't seen it in the latest FW.

I installed the latest firmware yesterday and today, for the first time ever in any drone I've owned, te screen was black on startup. Tried rebooting drone, RC2, . Nothing. The drone flew, I ad all the indications around the screen but no video. I looked at te camera thinking something was covering it, nothing. The gimbal worked, everything else was fine. Connected to wifi- ok, Tried switching from video to photo a few times, another set of reboots and... back to normal. No idea wat happened???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J