DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

i have a crazy idea but would this scare birds away?

lol can just record the sound and just have it play when you start to fly..lol
A bit more seriously there are sonic devices that have been shown to work as bird scarers. They can be programmed to emit the calls of predator birds like falcons and goshawks, but they're far too bulky and heavy to be of practical use for a drone.
Generally ultrasonic devices have been shown to be useless for repelling birds.

A bit more seriously there are sonic devices that have been shown to work as bird scarers. They can be programmed to emit the calls of predator birds like falcons and goshawks, but they're far too bulky and heavy to be of practical use for a drone.

Sorry, but these don't work either. Even if they worked for some
species of birds (only as an initial startle), predator bird calls can also attract birds in some situations. Crows, gulls, and many other bird species are drawn to the calls, in an effect called "mobbing", where they attempt to surround and attack a potential predator - clearly the opposite effect you're trying to solicit.

(What is Mobbing? | Bird Behaviour - The RSPB)

species of birds (only as an initial startle), predator bird calls can also attract birds in some situations. Crows, gulls, and many other bird species are drawn to the calls, in an effect called "mobbing", where they attempt to surround and attack a potential predator - clearly the opposite effect you're trying to solicit.

Here is a good video of a Mobbing.

And.. an even better one
I just watched them mob a kitten.

I've read where it seems that the folks who(m) put on those eye/"eyeball" stickers visa vie Ken Heron, that the bird confrontations diminish or go away. I put a pair on my carbon skinned Mavic and I have never had a confrontation since. I used to have the swallows swarm me at times, but "Nevermore".......

Reactions: joejaxvic123
In my younger years, I worked at a grainery. We used a combination of lights, sirens and simulated shot gun blasts all at randomized timings and combinations to minimize (not completely stop) consumption and contamination. Birds, particularly the predators, are incredibly intelligent and quickly learn the passive techniques are not a threat to their safety and learn to ignore those trappings. Shoot a pellet gun at them and they learn to stay out of range, and where the source is. They will stay away until the threat leaves.

Your drone will be temporarily protected but the attacks will become more aggressive to rid them of their annoyance.

Crows and ravens will take it a step further and communicate with each other and draw more of their clan into the attack.

I put these on my car years ago, I live in an area with a lot of deer. It didn’t work at all. The deer were complete unaffected by it.

Reactions: RolandW
I was unaware that some of you have problems with flying moose and kangaroos, it all sounds bloody dangerous, I thought bird attacks were bad enough!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We need a auto deploying parachute system , for bird strikes and other fall out of the sky events

Birds are sensitive to frequencies 1-4 Khz. They are not sensitive to supersonic frequencies. Animal repellents will not work, so there must be some other idea. Generating a 3-4 Khz. tone into a small tweeter is possible but there are questions of power and area coverage.

T
I was thinking I know this works for deer BUT would it work for birds to scare them away from the mavic?

its plastic so it low weight! and it has a low profile! you MAY need both of them mounted but I am not sure for birds tho! with deer you do cause Both devices must be used to obtain the proper frequency range. but again that is for deer.!

as for spacing in-between them a reviewer said they used them on a motorcycle.

So the questions remains what frequency range does a bird hear? if they even do that is? also does the sound (frequency) change when flying higher compare to being used road level?

What is your thought?

View attachment 33775

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Automot...pID=41G7qn0ooWL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
here are and have been numerous lawsuits against the makers of these for anti-deer. The devices generate the whistling while moving fairly fast so if the car is not moving very fast then there is not sufficient whistling to deter the deer. Even at higher speeds people have been in accidents with deer. Not all deer respond to the whistling. If your drone was hovering it may be possible that there would not be sufficient sound to stop the bird. That all being said, think of hawks and the screech they emit when they see a squirrel or rabbit on the ground. That screech lets the squirrel know a bird of prey is nearby so it stops moving which is just what the hawk wants. You may want to start looking at that frequency. Also, you may find some advice from the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. They are the country's leading research center on birds.

T

here are and have been numerous lawsuits against the makers of these for anti-deer. The devices generate the whistling while moving fairly fast so if the car is not moving very fast then there is not sufficient whistling to deter the deer. Even at higher speeds people have been in accidents with deer. Not all deer respond to the whistling. If your drone was hovering it may be possible that there would not be sufficient sound to stop the bird. That all being said, think of hawks and the screech they emit when they see a squirrel or rabbit on the ground. That screech lets the squirrel know a bird of prey is nearby so it stops moving which is just what the hawk wants. You may want to start looking at that frequency. Also, you may find some advice from the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. They are the country's leading research center on birds.

the thought was the "wind" off the props would feed it..so even if a person was at a hover it be sufficient well hopefully that is..lol

Not going to work, otherwise they would be used at airports etc..and they still have problems with birds , this is what they use:
  • Using sonic cannons, recorded predator calls and other noise generators to disrupt birds
  • Using lasers at dawn and dusk to simulate predators and scare birds away
  • Flying trained falcons over roosting areas to disrupt birds before they nest
  • Training dogs to track through the habitat and teach birds that the area has many predator
None of these will work on a drone lol!

Pretty much the tweeting we ourselves hear daily then . . .

Still think it’s worth a try, it’ll keep the deer away anyway . . .
My current motorcycle has deer whistles put on it by a previous owner. They must work as I have never hit a deer with this bike. Mind you, 40 years of previous motorcycling without deer whistles, I never hit a deer either. Hmmm! :)

Paint it like a big horned owl...when the hunters become the hunted ;)

In all seriousness, the whistles won’t work. In DC, they have something like 80-90 bird strikes at National Airport. They have resorted to cannon blasts (that seem to work). If there was an easier way, I’m sure they’d do it.

In all seriousness, the whistles won’t work. In DC, they have something like 80-90 bird strikes at National Airport. They have resorted to cannon blasts (that seem to work). If there was an easier way, I’m sure they’d do it.

Those don't work either. They (DCA) also know it, as I've told them as such. The birds may react a few times but after a day or so, they just learn to ignore it. Think about it - if a 767 or an A380 taking off right next to them doesn't scare away a bird, do you think a smaller boom from a gas cannon will bother them? It's called "habituation" and almost all birds (especially ones located at airfields) will readily ignore gas cannons. I've even seen birds that perch on them, fly up about a foot just before the boom goes off (they can hear the mechanism of the gas filling the ignition chamber right before it is set off), and then land right back down on the barrel a second or two later.

Most airports put them out because they feel they are at least doing "something" about the bird strike risk (it's about the least they can do - it's sort of a CYA). If a safety inspector (or news crew, or the public) comes to them and asks what they are doing to mediate the risk of bird strikes, they can point to the gas cannons, and say "that", even when they know that they are practically worthless. The first thing I tell an airfield when I see them dispersed about the infield is to pick them up and get rid of them. They only serve as a perch site for birds on the airfield.

Last edited:
lol can just record the sound and just have it play when you start to fly..lol
Not sure of the area where the birds are but typically, birds don’t like things flying around that are bigger then they are. I would recommend a $5 shiny Mylar helium balloon ... on a long string tied to something on the ground that would keep it from flying away. It should be at a height that is higher then they are. Down below is not a threat, up above definitely if it’s bigger then they are.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569