DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I installed the DJI Cellular LTE cards in both my drone and RC Pro. Strange thing I noticed, I was able to fly over trees and get closer to the ground

pentatony

Reactions
I installed the cellular dongles in my mavic 3 and RC pro with sim cards in each. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I was able to keep signal slightly better when going around obstacles and was able to maintain flights closer to the ground even when a tree line was in the way. Has anyone tried this? Have they noticed any slight changes in reception?

Reactions: shb and Hauptmann
Does it show your 4g is connected? Sometimes connection can be affected by weather.

I installed the cellular dongles in my mavic 3 and RC pro with sim cards in each. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I was able to keep signal slightly better when going around obstacles and was able to maintain flights closer to the ground even when a tree line was in the way. Has anyone tried this? Have they noticed any slight changes in reception?
Interesting, keep us updated on this. I am very interested if this setup works

Should give you unlimited range and infinite penetration, unless you are in an area with poor 4G signal.

So for example you could technically enter through a window of a building, fly across a building, exit from a window on the other side while you are sitting inside a house, 5Km away on a dense urban environment.

Standard controller on FCC mode only has that kind of penetration under 500m.

In general 4G is ideal for VTOLs, wich can do 100+Km trips, on quads the benefit is not that usable because they are limited by the battery, so you can always find a high enough/unobstructed enough place to fly from in their optimal range of 2-3Km.

Reactions: redserv
Should give you unlimited range and infinite penetration, unless you are in an area with poor 4G signal.

So for example you could technically enter through a window of a building, fly across a building, exit from a window on the other side while you are sitting inside a house, 5Km away on a dense urban environment.

Standard controller on FCC mode only has that kind of penetration under 500m.

In general 4G is ideal for VTOLs, wich can do 100+Km trips, on quads the benefit is not that usable because they are limited by the battery, so you can always find a high enough/unobstructed enough place to fly from in their optimal range of 2-3Km.
The question really is will it work in the u.s

Can you explain this in more detail? What is a cellular dongle and how is it installed on an Mavic 3 and RC Pro? How does this improve things?

Please Please Explain this...
So the Drone acts like a Phone... Its limited to LTE reception....

But this could mean its flyable from an RC (also like a phone with LTE) - but ANYWHERE in the World ?

WOW-
That would be amazing...

Always wanted something like this.

I remember the DISCUS fixed wing could fly for hours with this - and over incredible distances
Please confirm the Setup and who is supplying these mods ?

Reactions: redserv
No way in he*l that the US is allowing this.
Honestly, tho, I can fly out right now as far as I want am still only limited by my battery. However, the prospect of ducking down and below treeline from a distance between the controller and the uas is quite intriguing.
Id like to know more... +1

Reactions: mobilehomer
Go find a spot like on the backside of a building (your house?) to make sure you have full bars with the house/building between you and the UAS. You can make the RTH right there and then just hover and walk around behind your house and see what happens...
Id like to hear more of your "trial and error."

Great post.

Go find a spot like on the backside of a building (your house?) to make sure you have full bars with the house/building between you and the UAS. You can make the RTH right there and then just hover and walk around behind your house and see what happens...
Id like to hear more of your "trial and error."

Great post.
The bars went down to the red, but the signal maintained itself a bit better. The Cellular units seemed to add 15% signal amplification to the wifi signal itself. I'm sure it's nothing to do with cellular, but it helps the wifi. I was actually able to get a foot off the ground in some areas where I could only get 60 ft off the ground, due to obstacle interference. It's probably not worth the money though. I just hope the or someone with some skills can get these things to really use a cellular signal.

The cellular devices aren't acting like cellular. They just seem to giving me an r/c signal boost. It doesn't make sense.
Everything I've read about these dongles is that the "dongle" installed inside the RC Pro works for downloading maps/browsing other internet use, but the dongle for the drones doesn't work in the US, only China.

Everything I've read about these dongles is that the "dongle" installed inside the RC Pro works for downloading maps/browsing other internet use, but the dongle for the drones doesn't work in the US, only China.
I totally agree. Why I noticed a slight boost didn't make sense. Maybe it helped reduce interference around the drone. Who knows

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Also add Australia to the list.

Just as well teather the RC Pro to your phone if you want to download maps etc. It's not worth installing these huge dongles inside our $1000 RC Pro just for that. It's just not worth the cost or time doing so at this point.

Add Australia to the list as it does work there as well.

as I understand it, the 'dongle' technology has been around for a while

but I don't know if it's legal in the USA, or even operable

been discussed in this thread:

4G Dongle Arrived

description:

DJI Mavic 3 4G Dongle - All You Need to Know
No US cellular providers provide the required bands for this dongle to operate when it comes to the drone dongle. This will not happen until the FCC approves it.

It works in China and Australia.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78