DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4G Dongle Arrived

Suren

Reactions
Okays, so it arrived and from the light status on it, Solid Green, according to the manual it is picking up strong 4G signals. Under the transmission tab in the fly app I can see the option to turn on advanced transmission but it does not turn on, when I try error says cannot connect to 4G signal. Any one clever enough so that we can hack this thing to get it to work. Oh and if I try with the FCC mod app I cannot see the dongle nor the 4G tab in the app anymore. It might just be that the New Zealand 4G network does not work in this thing.

Okays, so it arrived and from the light status on it, Solid Green, according to the manual it is picking up strong 4G signals. Under the transmission tab in the fly app I can see the option to turn on advanced transmission but it does not turn on, when I try error says cannot connect to 4G signal. Any one clever enough so that we can hack this thing to get it to work. Oh and if I try with the FCC mod app I cannot see the dongle nor the 4G tab in the app anymore. It might just be that the New Zealand 4G network does not work in this thing.
So do I have this right? With this thing if you get 4G cellphone coverage say 20kms off shore you could fly the drone from the shore to a boat 20 kms away and land it there? Does your phone need to be on the network as well?

So do I have this right? With this thing if you get 4G cellphone coverage say 20kms off shore you could fly the drone from the shore to a boat 20 kms away and land it there? Does your phone need to be on the network as well?
As long as your phone has 4G network and the dongle has 4G network you can fly to 50km away "as long as you have network" is the optimal words

I was wondering, does anyone have a 4G dongle that works with type C cable, not the Dji dongle but say a Vodafone or some other network that they can connect to the back of the Mavic 3 to see if it gives the enhanced transmission option,

The dongles will communicate on most cellular networks, but as a generic Internet connection.

I believe the reason the dongle to dongle link works in specific regions and requires a DJI subscription is that the cellular network has to support a specific APN that is paid for by DJI.

My company has many remote sensing devices that communicate with our network via a dedicated VPN. The device modems have a private IP on our network. This is defined by our APN which ties to a VPN tunnel between AT&T and our network.

So, if the cellular network is not configured to recognize and support DJI’s APN, the two devices can’t communicate with each other.

The dongles will communicate on most cellular networks, but as a generic Internet connection.

I believe the reason the dongle to dongle link works in specific regions and requires a DJI subscription is that the cellular network has to support a specific APN that is paid for by DJI.

My company has many remote sensing devices that communicate with our network via a dedicated VPN. The device modems have a private IP on our network. This is defined by our APN which ties to a VPN tunnel between AT&T and our network.

So, if the cellular network is not configured to recognize and support DJI’s APN, the two devices can’t communicate with each other.
I am using it with the RC-N1 and it is confirmed working in Australia. The 4G dongle uses 4G TDD LTE network but upon my searching New Zealand uses FDD LTE. In the fly app, under device management, I can see the dongle there with it serial number and when selected I see an option to enter the APN but I cannot enter anything there as it is greyed out.

If the FCC mod app hides all the 4G features, it is likely useless in the U.S.A. too, without a supporting app update.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
I am using it with the RC-N1 and it is confirmed working in Australia. The 4G dongle uses 4G TDD LTE network but upon my searching New Zealand uses FDD LTE. In the fly app, under device management, I can see the dongle there with it serial number and when selected I see an option to enter the APN but I cannot enter anything there as it is greyed out.
TD-LTE and FD-LTE are not compatible. I have written this in other threads too, the dongle shown in screenshots circulating the forum is a TD-LTE device. These networks are more common in China. If the cellular networks in your area are FD-LTE this device will not work.

TD-LTE and FD-LTE are not compatible. I have written this in other threads too, the dongle shown in screenshots circulating the forum is a TD-LTE device. These networks are more common in China. If the cellular networks in your area are FD-LTE this device will not work.
The ad in Aliexpress showed FDD-LTE, i was sceptical but i bought it, new paper weight now unless there is a way to change how this dongle searches for network

• Sad
I got a reply from a senior Dji Admin about this dongle, unfortunately I cannot post who for Dji said this:

Hi, Suren. DJI Cellular Dongle is initially released in Mainland China. With its latest launch in Mainland China, DJI Cellular Dongle will be available in other regions soon. Please stay tuned.

You forgot about the battery limitation!
That's the real limit.
Basically, it increases the one way suicide mission range to 13+ miles!
The Battery RTH signal will still compute regardless of the 4G network coverage increase to assist the VHF Line Of Sight Remote Controller/Rc Pro Signal, if lost. The Battery remainder power is still monitored by the the flight management systems. Plus, one does need to keep an eye out, anyways no matter what")

Make sense Suren, LTE need SIM card (or eSIM) and network plan to work, if DJI have no contract with Your operator it will not work as any other phone with no subscription ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78