DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Pro Cellular Dongle / LTE USB Modem Notes

Yes, it does. It's because Australia has the the same cellular frequency's as China does.
It's not just network compatibility, it's DJI allowing access to their server, this is what routes the controller to the device over the internet. I can get the dongle to connect to the internet, I just can't get it to control my drone in Aus.

I ordered this from the ebay site above. It arrived within the week of my order. I was amazed at the speed. They must have these warehoused in California.
I took it over to T-mobile. They tested it with an activated SIM. It worked very well. So this works at least on the DJI RC Pro in the United States. Thanks for doing all this research before I needed it.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I ordered this from the ebay site above. It arrived within the week of my order. I was amazed at the speed. They must have these warehoused in California.
I took it over to T-mobile. They tested it with an activated SIM. It worked very well. So this works at least on the DJI RC Pro in the United States. Thanks for doing all this research before I needed it.
The RC Pro side has always worked everywhere, obviating a need for hot spotting to a phone for maps. Unfortunately, it's always the drone side dongle that won't work to supplement O3+ during signal obstruction. The RC side dongle isn't even needed for the drone side dongle to function, if one hotspots to a phone, or is using the RC-N1 with a phone, if the drone side dongle only worked!

I recently bought one of these cellular modules for my mini 3 pro on aliexpress, and was sad to see that I waited too long to buy it, and now it won't work outside of China. I am in Mexico, and the dongle connects just fine when I put my telcel sim in it, but it won't allow the drone to connect to the remote unfortunately. I hope DJI decides to open it up again to work internationally, and just allow each individual country to decide if they'll allow it or not.

The RC Pro Cellular Dongle I ordered last month was delivered yesterday. Just a few notes:

- First off, it worked with a T-Mobile nano SIM card I already had.
- Installation was simple -- remove two screws on the bottom panel and gently lift up. A compartment with a USB-C port and an antenna connector is exposed. Connect the antenna to the 4G port on the dongle and slide into the USB port. I had to slightly rearrange the antenna wire to get the bottom panel to close without bowing slightly.
- The dongle shows up as a T-Mobile 4G connection when you're looking at the home screen or swipe down to show settings.
- I was able to check for firmware updates, the map updated as I moved and zoomed the display and I was able to perform a geo unlock (the main reason I got it).
- My other apps worked as well -- I've tested AirData, UAV Forecast, B4UFLY and Aloft. All worked.
- The FCC ID is 2A2TS2021IG830 FCC ID 2A2TS2021IG830 LTE USB MODEM by Honglink Wireless Solutions Co., Ltd.
- The FCC-submitted User Guide: https://fccid.io/2A2TS2021IG830/User-Manual/Users-Manual-5533544.pdf

There's not much else to it. This is good for me -- I don't intend to get the companion module for the Mavic 3.

View attachment 149170

View attachment 149172

View attachment 149173
Thanks to your info, I ordered the DJI modem from a DJI eBay seller. Inserted my Rogers SIM and mounted it into the DJI RC Plus enterprise controller for my Matrice M30 and it worked perfectly. No more hot spotting to the cell phone - yay!

Reactions: oztx
Thanks to your info, I ordered the DJI modem from a DJI eBay seller. Inserted my Rogers SIM and mounted it into the DJI RC Plus enterprise controller for my Matrice M30 and it worked perfectly. No more hot spotting to the cell phone - yay!
Do you have type of dongle that you ordered , TD-LTE , TDD-LTE or FD-LTE, FDD-LTE, etc. or maybe a link to it? Oh one more question does it affect battery time much?
Thanks Doug

Last edited:
Do you have type of dongle that you ordered , TD-LTE , TDD-LTE or FD-LTE, FDD-LTE, etc. or maybe a link to it? Oh one more question does it affect battery time much?
Thanks Doug
I didn't see any effect on the battery life. Although I'm using the RC Plus controller which has a pretty large battery. The load from the 1200 nit screen alone would dwarf the cellular dongle's drain on the controller.

I didn't see any effect on the battery life. Although I'm using the RC Plus controller which has a pretty large battery. The load from the 1200 nit screen alone would dwarf the cellular dongle's drain on the controller.
So, it only saves the extra step of hotspotting to your phone? As I understand it, you still can't use it for supplemental 4G communication with your aircraft, which was supposed to be the most salient benefit, obviating the need for clear line of sight in urban settings with tall buildings everywhere. Sad.

So, it only saves the extra step of hotspotting to your phone? As I understand it, you still can't use it for supplemental 4G communication with your aircraft, which was supposed to be the most salient benefit, obviating the need for clear line of sight in urban settings with tall buildings everywhere. Sad.
Yes - that's true. It might be a long while before the FAA and other jurisdictions allow connecting to the 4G/5G network so we can take advantage of the range extension cellular networks would provide. Still, for me, it's a plus - removing steps to flight and having the convenience of onboard connection to the Internet.

Do you have a link to what and where you I can order one ?
Thanks again Oman
Ps I think the link you posted is for says TDD LTE, but the picture you of the. dongle posted on back says TD-LTE, just want to make sure I order right one?
Thanks again Oman

Last edited:
If you are interested, I will be putting mine up for sale. I just got the Air 3 with RC 2, and will be selling my RC Pro, so no longer need the dongle.

Let me know.

If you are interested, I will be putting mine up for sale. I just got the Air 3 with RC 2, and will be selling my RC Pro, so no longer need the dongle.

Let me know.
I'am interested, I to have a Mavic 3 with a RC PRO CONTROLLER, would love to get rid of hot-spotting pain in the neck! Could you send a pic , and how much?
PM me so we can talk.
Thanks oman aka Doug

Do you have a link to what and where you I can order one ?
Thanks again Oman
Ps I think the link you posted is for says TDD LTE, but the picture you of the. dongle posted on back says TD-LTE, just want to make sure I order right one?
Thanks again Oman
That's the link to the one I ordered and the one that works. All the best!

Hey guys, I went to Verizon to get a nano sim card for this, but Verizon is billing me for a phone plan. When I tried to explain that it is a USB modem and not a phone, they said the system forces it to a phone plan, based on its IMEI number.

Can you guys recommend a cheap data only plan in the USA for this?

Yes you will be charged for a nano sim no matter what. Line access fee (usually $30/month) depending on the carrier.

It all depends on where you live. There is no point in putting one of these in your Controller, just tether it to your phone for free.
This is the cheapest option and more than fast enough if you're looking to download maps etc in the field.

It won't work in your drone state side. There three countries maybe 4 that this will be supported in.

Hey guys, I went to Verizon to get a nano sim card for this, but Verizon is billing me for a phone plan. When I tried to explain that it is a USB modem and not a phone, they said the system forces it to a phone plan, based on its IMEI number.

Can you guys recommend a cheap data only plan in the USA for this?

When I had a dongle in my RC Pro, I used a T-Mobile data only plan. $10 a month, and you can pause it whenever you want.

EDIT: If I remember right, you get 2GB a month with that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edy44