DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Pro Cellular Dongle / LTE USB Modem Notes

Received mine today. Works fine here in Montreal, Canada, on the Rogers network. Added a second line to my account for 10$ a month, it shares my main account data. Shows up as ROGERS ROGERS on the RC Pro screen:

DJI_RC-PRO_SCR1.jpg

Reactions: oztx
Apologies if this has already been answered. I'm good with the fact that I can get my RC Pro connected to a cellular network, that's easy for me.

My question I have for those in this discussion has anyone had this work in the US, specifically, have they been able to get it to work with their Mavic 3 in the United States? If so, how did you do it?

Received mine today. Works fine here in Montreal, Canada, on the Rogers network. Added a second line to my account for 10$ a month, it shares my main account data. Shows up as ROGERS ROGERS on the RC Pro screen:

DJI_RC-PRO_SCR1.jpg
Did you have to have the dongle for both your RC Pro as well as the Mavic 3?

I purchased one DJI LTE dongle for the RC Pro, to have live maps.
It works with the cellular network in Switzerland.

It does. However, the real benefit of the 4G dongle is when it is installed on the M3, and supported. It allows 4G to replace OcuSync 3+ during signal obstructions, like behind buildings in urban areas, preventing loss of signal RTH, and maintaining full control with FPV.
Hi, GG,
I hope to used the dongle to help maintain contact while flying in the "canyons" of urban environments. I'll be using the RC Pro controller and the MP3 and Mini 3 Pro. I live in the US. Do I need a dongle for the controller and each drone, and will should it work in the US?

Hi, GG,
I hope to used the dongle to help maintain contact while flying in the "canyons" of urban environments. I'll be using the RC Pro controller and the MP3 and Mini 3 Pro. I live in the US. Do I need a dongle for the controller and each drone, and will should it work in the US?
You'll need a dongle for each device. I haven't seen anyone that is using that setup in the US, just one dongle on the RC Pro which is plugnplay

Reactions: Hauptmann
Hi, GG,
Sadly, the DJI 4G drone-side dongle won't currently work in the US. A single drone-side dongle can be used with all supported drones. Just move it from drone to drone with the appropriate external mount. RC Pro only needs the dongle inside if you won't be hotspotting the RC Pro to your phone, which replaces the internal dongle, when used with a drone-side dongle that works. The internal RC Pro dongle still works in the US for map downloading and such, as a replacement for hot spotting. Currently, that's all it is capable of!

If traveling to Aussie land and China, you'll have more 4G success among the "canyons" of urban environments.

Reactions: Hauptmann
You'll need a dongle for each device. I haven't seen anyone that is using that setup in the US, just one dongle on the RC Pro which is plugnplay
It will not work in the US. Because our cellular infrastructure is incompatible with the dongle that fits on top of the drone .

I purchased only one dongle, for the RC Pro, to have live maps. I don't foresee the need to have LTE communication between the RC Pro and the M3, so no second dongle.
The reason folks want the cellular dongle for the drones is really practical. For better connectivity in cities flying around buildings and flying in canyons (mountains).

You can get the same benefit of the dongle for maps and laanc approval from the RC remote by simply tethering your phone to it. As it does not require very fast connectivity to take advantage of this. However, the point of having the two and why two would be required (one for the RC Proo and the dongle that connects to the top of the Mavic 3, is listed above.

You can get the dongle that you put inside the RC Remote to view the Mavic 3 and see each other, it simply won't fly or connect to the LTE networks in the US. (the dongle that attaches to the Mavic 3) If that makes since.

Other than that imo until the capability is available in the states it's somewhat useless to put a dongle inside the RC Pro just to have map downloads, or data connectivity... teathering to your phone produces the same result at the speeds needed.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
For those of us not in the know, what is the purpose of said cellular dongle? Thanks.
With cellular, you can fly as low as you like and never lose signal. Without cellular, wifi makes you have to climb higher and higher the further away the drone is from you in order to keep a signal.

With cellular, you can fly as low as you like and never lose signal. Without cellular, wifi makes you have to climb higher and higher the further away the drone is from you in order to keep a signal.
We aren't talking wifi. It allows for you to fly around buildings in cities with ease so you don't lose signal. That's the main purpose. It also allows you to fly in Canyons (if there is a cellular service available) without losing signal to your drone and remote.

Check DJI china's website for the full specs and video.

We aren't talking wifi. It allows for you to fly around buildings in cities with ease so you don't lose signal. That's the main purpose. It also allows you to fly in Canyons (if there is a cellular service available) without losing signal to your drone and remote.

Check DJI china's website for the full specs and video.
I understand that. But when I'm flying down a street with houses, I want to stay low. I can't do that without having cellular comms.

Anyway, HAS ANYONE TRIED THE M3 RC AND M3 DRONE CELLULAR DONGLE IN THE USA? ANYONE? I'd love to have the setup, but I would hate to waste the money on a product that DJI denies the operation of said equipment.

To help those of you out as to why the LTE dongle will not work on your Mavic 3. Per the owner's manual that can be viewed on China's DJI's website. It requires a TDD-LTE Operating Frequency Band that US Cellular networks do not support.

It won't work in the US ever until DJI makes one that works with US cellular networks. The LTE dongle requires certain frequencies to work which US cellular infrastructure does not support. No network in the US supports the required frequencies.

I provided a photo of the manual for your viewing if you don't want to go to the website and check it out yourself. Places like Australia, South Korea, etc will support this frequency bandwidth. US Carriers do not.

Hopefully, this helps clear up any confusion.

I provided a photo of the manual for your viewing if you don't want to go to the website and check it out yourself. Places like Australia, South Korea, etc will support this frequency bandwidth. US Carriers do not.

Hopefully, this helps clear up any confusion.

Attachments

• TDD LTE Frequency network.png
    TDD LTE Frequency network.png
    3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada