DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Pro Cellular Dongle / LTE USB Modem Notes

oztx

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The RC Pro Cellular Dongle I ordered last month was delivered yesterday. Just a few notes:

- First off, it worked with a T-Mobile nano SIM card I already had.
- Installation was simple -- remove two screws on the bottom panel and gently lift up. A compartment with a USB-C port and an antenna connector is exposed. Connect the antenna to the 4G port on the dongle and slide into the USB port. I had to slightly rearrange the antenna wire to get the bottom panel to close without bowing slightly.
- The dongle shows up as a T-Mobile 4G connection when you're looking at the home screen or swipe down to show settings.
- I was able to check for firmware updates, the map updated as I moved and zoomed the display and I was able to perform a geo unlock (the main reason I got it).
- My other apps worked as well -- I've tested AirData, UAV Forecast, B4UFLY and Aloft. All worked.
- The FCC ID is 2A2TS2021IG830 FCC ID 2A2TS2021IG830 LTE USB MODEM by Honglink Wireless Solutions Co., Ltd.
- The FCC-submitted User Guide: https://fccid.io/2A2TS2021IG830/User-Manual/Users-Manual-5533544.pdf

There's not much else to it. This is good for me -- I don't intend to get the companion module for the Mavic 3.

Screenshot_20220601-133338.png

IMG_2232.jpeg

IMG_2233.jpeg

Anything to indicate that the companion module for the Mavic 3 might already be enabled for use in the U.S.? So far, no one has reported that it works in the U.S.. If it does, one only needs the RC-N1 with a smartphone as the tablet, as the connected phone replaces the RC-Pro dongle.

Anything to indicate that the companion module for the Mavic 3 might already be enabled for use in the U.S.? So far, no one has reported that it works in the U.S.. If it does, one only needs the RC-N1 with a smartphone as the tablet, as the connected phone replaces the RC-Pro dongle.

I haven't found anything in the RC Pro or Fly app that indicates anything about the companion module. If I find that, I'll report back.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
For those of us not in the know, what is the purpose of said cellular dongle? Thanks.

The dongle gives internet access to the RC Pro without tethering to a phone -- useful for Geo Zone unlocks in the field and getting current map imagery in the Fly app. In some countries (not the US), it works with the companion Mavic 3 LTE dongle to allow you to control the aircraft using cellular instead of the built-in radios.

It also lets you use other internet-enabled apps like AirData to upload flight data and email to send images to clients.

Interesting. Where did you order the device from?

Please explain for me as to how this differs from how Imy Smart Controller accessing the internet via my iPhone hot spot as I fly. I may be missing something, but I seem to have the desired apps and maps. Thank you

Reactions: Hauptmann
Please explain for me as to how this differs from how Imy Smart Controller accessing the internet via my iPhone hot spot as I fly. I may be missing something, but I seem to have the desired apps and maps. Thank you
The end result is the same, Data access to the RC Pro. The benefits are simply that you're not relying on a second device to provide said data that needs charging and fiddling around in the menu creating a tether before you launch. The appeal of the RC Pro for many was the fact you don't have to interact with a phone to get it going, Just pick it up, turn it on and you're off

The end result is the same, Data access to the RC Pro. The benefits are simply that you're not relying on a second device to provide said data that needs charging and fiddling around in the menu creating a tether before you launch. The appeal of the RC Pro for many was the fact you don't have to interact with a phone to get it going, Just pick it up, turn it on and you're off
Thank you. My Smart Controller has access to The internet via my phone which is I guess “the dongle” in the described system. Does the dongle need its own cellular ID/account and thus a charge?

Thank you. My Smart Controller has access to The internet via my phone which is I guess “the dongle” in the described system. Does the dongle need its own cellular ID/account and thus a charge?
It does. However, the real benefit of the 4G dongle is when it is installed on the M3, and supported. It allows 4G to replace OcuSync 3+ during signal obstructions, like behind buildings in urban areas, preventing loss of signal RTH, and maintaining full control with FPV.

Thanks @oztx, for the heads up on the dongle. I used your ebay link to order one, and it got to me in MD is less than 3 weeks!

Easy set up/install. I ordered a Mint Mobile trial card off Amazon ($1.05), that gives 1 weeks use and 250mb of data. As everything is working, I have ordered a data only sim card from T-Mobile which should be here on Monday. Low cost and easy to put on 'suspend' mode if you know you wont be using it for any length of time.

Is the dongle necessary? I'm flying an Air 2S with my RC Pro, so for me its just about having an internet connection to the controller without having to use a hot spot. So no, its not really necessary.

But I do like gadgets and devices......!!

Happy flying and stay safe!

Screenshot_20220722-195457.png

Last edited:
Any time you use a hotspot, the signal will not be near as strong. Latency is higher, more disconnects etc. (generally speaking). This is true as I use 5 different major carriers for my job.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78