DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I just realized ...

wco81

Reactions
My Mavic 2 Pro isn't going to work with my iPhone 15 Pro Max ...

I'm on a trip too so it would be hard to get a new cable.

But is anyone even making a micro USB to USB-C cable for the M2P?

Or would ANY micro USB to USB-C cable work?

Or would ANY micro USB to USB-C cable work?
Yes, except the cheap ones that are only for charging. Make sure you get one that is made for data transfer (most good cables are).
But for the Mavic 2 Pro I would recommend getting a USB-C to USB-A cable, and plug it in the bottom of the controller instead of using the micro-USB connector on the side. Using the bottom connector is generally considered a more stable connection. I use the micro-USB connector only for charging the controller.

The M2P was supplied with a suitable cable.
If you wish to use the micro USB type A port on the side of the controller and need an after market cable be aware that that cable needs, from memory, to have an OTG plug on the controller end.
If you are satisfied with using the full sized USB port between the controller's arm then a USB to USB-C data cable will suffice.

Reactions: Fizzbang
Thanks more things to consider than I realized.

I didn't know about the USB-A plug either. That would have been far easier to find, USB-A to USB-C.

Yes, except the cheap ones that are only for charging. Make sure you get one that is made for data transfer (most good cables are).
But for the Mavic 2 Pro I would recommend getting a USB-C to USB-A cable, and plug it in the bottom of the controller instead of using the micro-USB connector on the side. Using the bottom connector is generally considered a more stable connection. I use the micro-USB connector only for charging the controller.
The M2P was supplied with a suitable cable.
If you wish to use the micro USB type A port on the side of the controller and need an after market cable be aware that that cable needs, from memory, to have an OTG plug on the controller end.
If you are satisfied with using the full sized USB port between the controller's arm then a USB to USB-C data cable will suffice.

OK I purchased a third-party micro-USB to USB-C cable from the DJI store in Sydney, Australia.

When I plugged it in, it was charging from my iPhone 15 Pro Max. But I didn't have the drone with me at the store.

I get back and try to connect to the drone and it simply won't. It won't open the DJI Go 4 app, though the controller shows there's Mag Interference so the compass needs to be calibrated, which was expected.

I tried a USB-A to USB-C cable and that's wonky, my iPhone will go from charge state to uncharge state every couple of seconds.

However, it went into the flight mode of the app and presented a firmware update, the one for the Remote ID update. I was able to download the update but now it won't even upgrade the aircraft.

I tried switching to the other cable and it thinks it's not connected with the controller.

So none of the cables I have seem to be able to deal with this.

Apparently the cable I bought only charges, though my iPhone 15 will periodically say that I can't use the accessory because it draws too much power.

OK, eventually I got the aircraft to complete the firmware upgrade via the USB-A to USB-C cable.

But now the app flags "Remote ID Functionality Normal" as a red triangle and one of the reasons it won't take off.

The other reason is that I'm in a NFZ at the moment.

Is there something you're suppose to do to configure RID?

Apparently the cable I bought only charges, though my iPhone 15 will periodically say that I can't use the accessory because it draws too much power.
Ah sorry, that brought something to mind.
There's a bug in the iPhone, I think the work-around fix is to use the std controller to lightning cable and a lightning to USB-C adapter.

Ah sorry, that brought something to mind.
There's a bug in the iPhone, I think the work-around fix is to use the std controller to lightning cable and a lightning to USB-C adapter.

Hmm, I would use the USB-A to USB-C cables but the ones I have with me, the connection seems intermittent so if I do a flight and it loses connection to the iPhone, it could be catastrophic.

though the controller shows there's Mag Interference so the compass needs to be calibrated, which was expected.
Expected? Why?
If the issue is magnetic interference, recalibrating the compass won't fix it.
Moving the drone away from the problem is the solution.

Reactions: Starz
so if I do a flight and it loses connection to the iPhone, it could be catastrophic.
Why? In theory the drone can be flown without a phone. If you can't see the drone just press RTH on the controller.
Though it might be worth testing, somehow, in a safe place, if any distance limits are imposed on an RTH if the App is lost.
It seems to me that it would be rather strange if there were but since there are, I think, limits imposed regarding how far, and perhaps high, the drone can be flown when the phone is not attached ..... better safe than sorry.

That said it might be an idea to check whether or not and USB A to Lightning coupled with a Lightning to USB-C adaptor would work.

Failing that get a cheap second hand Android phone.

That said it might be an idea to check whether or not and USB A to Lightning coupled with a Lightning to USB-C adaptor would work.

Failing that get a cheap second hand Android phone.
My new Iphone is pretty strange- If I plug in one of my older phones cables to a brick and try to charge it- My phone will make all sorts of dinging noises as if the cable is being connected and disconected constantly! This doesn't happen if I plug a usb-c cable into a usb adaptor? I don't know why? but with the usb-c cable and adapter it works with the old cable sometimes it will work but mostly after a min or two I hear- ding ding ding.

Why? In theory the drone can be flown without a phone.
It's not just theory.
All that's needed is the drone and controller.
The app and a screen are just deluxe accessories.
If you can't see the drone just press RTH on the controller.
Or turn the controller off.
Though it might be worth testing, somehow, in a safe place, if any distance limits are imposed on an RTH if the App is lost.
It seems to me that it would be rather strange if there were
There's no such limit.
Perhaps you're thinking of the limits when flying the Mini(?) with just a phone and no controller?
but since there are, I think, limits imposed regarding how far, and perhaps high, the drone can be flown when the phone is not attached ..... better safe than sorry.
Again ... no such limits exist.

Reactions: Cafguy
BUT- not being logged into your account will limit range to a very short distance on the mavic 2- correct?
My Air 2s will only travel a few hundred feet
and stop if it is not logged into my account?
is this not true of the Mavic 2 Pro?
Not being logged into your account is completely different from losing the app.
Try it sometime .... fly out some distance and pull the cable out of your phone or tablet and see what happens.
If you lose your nerve, just plug it back in.

Reactions: Cafguy
It's not just theory.
I am well aware that the drone can be flown without the phone connected but, since I haven't tried it myself and haven't read of it being done, I was speculating about the behaviour in a 'phone-less' RTH, hence "in theory".
However I would disagree with "The app and a screen are just deluxe accessories." as a generalised statement.
If nothing else they are required for adjustment of settings etc. and in some cases acknowledging warnings etc. that ground the drone if not acknowledged.

Last edited:
My new Iphone is pretty strange- If I plug in one of my older phones cables to a brick and try to charge it- My phone will make all sorts of dinging noises as if the cable is being connected and disconected constantly! This doesn't happen if I plug a usb-c cable into a usb adaptor? I don't know why? but with the usb-c cable and adapter it works with the old cable sometimes it will work but mostly after a min or two I hear- ding ding ding.
Can't comment on sounds sorry.
With regards to a USB-C iPhone and use of the 'original' controller to Lightning cable and a Lightning to USB-C adaptor I am going by a post that I saw on, I think, the DJI forum where it was posted as a solution to the "phone not connecting and charging the controller" thing.

It's been on my list of drone-related to-do's to find out which plugs on the controller do what. For instance, I could swear that long ago I read that when plugged into one of them, the connected phone would suck juice from the RC. Can you verify that?

FYI, I needed a refresher on plug types, so I found the attached.

Attachments

• cable types.2.jpg
    cable types.2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 8
  • cable types.jpg
    cable types.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 8
It's been on my list of drone-related to-do's to find out which plugs on the controller do what. For instance, I could swear that long ago I read that when plugged into one of them, the connected phone would suck juice from the RC. Can you verify that?
Android phones takes charge from the controller, yes. This is because of an USB/Android protocol requirement, and not DJI's decision. This happens whether the phone is connected to the side (micro-USB) or in the bottom with USB-A.
I have heard that this does not happen with iphones, but I don't use Apple products so I can not confirm it.

Reactions: CadrePilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne