DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I just realized ...

Android phones takes charge from the controller, yes...
Ah, and I'm using a Galaxy A7 tab, so it's Android.

Perhaps if I'm concerned about max battery life on the RC for certain missions, I should consider going back to an iPhone for my phone (now on Galaxy S20FE, but not married to it) to use when needed.

Thanks.

Ah, and I'm using a Galaxy A7 tab, so it's Android.

Perhaps if I'm concerned about max battery life on the RC for certain missions, I should consider going back to an iPhone for my phone (now on Galaxy S20FE, but not married to it) to use when needed.

Thanks.
The 'phone' does NOT need to be a "phone". None of my 'phones' have sim cards fitted, so whatever you prefer.
The battery life of the controller should out last one flight unless you start the flight with a well dairned controller battery.
Andoid devices draw around or under 1/2A.

Reactions: CadrePilot
The battery life of the controller should out last one flight unless you start the flight with a well dairned controller battery.
I have seven drone batteries. ;-)

The 'phone' does NOT need to be a "phone". None of my 'phones' have sim cards fitted, so whatever you prefer.
Nitpicking again?
So what would you call a phone without a sim-card?
(And it will still draw power from the controller)

Nitpicking again?
Not in the slightest.
You should perhaps try thinking before you leap to conclusions and type a sarcastic and erroneous comment.
If you read the reply you quote you might, possibly, realise that my reply means that CadrePilot can use their old phone, without a sim card, and that therefore they do not need to stop using their new phone as a phone.
So what would you call a phone without a sim-card?
Screen device or phone, which ever tickles you fancy.
(And it will still draw power from the controller)
Golly gosh and there's me thinking that that is what I meant by the unconditional statement "Andoid devices draw around or under 1/2A.".

Last edited:
I have seven drone batteries. ;-)
Ahh.
You might be able to find a 'splitter' cable, a Y shaped thing , that allows you to use a power pack to power the phone whilst the signal goes the normal route to and from the controller.
They were available for the likes of the mavic mini but I dont know if they come in USB configurations

I don't need to power my phone/tab, but would just like to stop the flow from the RC to it.

Expected? Why?
If the issue is magnetic interference, recalibrating the compass won't fix it.
Moving the drone away from the problem is the solution.
Whenever I fly to another country or another region which is a few hours away, it has always prompted me to recalibrate the compass.

Whenever I fly to another country or another region which is a few hours away, it has always prompted me to recalibrate the compass.
I'm amazed that DJI still does that.
There's no physical reason that the time and still is now.at you'd need to recalibrate the compass, even if you fly half way around the world.
But for some reason that only DJI knows, they made the Mavic 2 ask for compass recalibration if you move more than 30 miles (or something like that) from where you last flew.
It was ridiculous

But for some reason that only DJI knows, they made the Mavic 2 ask
As I remember, when I received the first M2P, compass calibration was never asked and traveled to various locations beyond hundreds of miles. There was a firmware update that changed how the annoying compass dance got its implementation. That update was the start of my still ongoing resistance to update any DJI product without weeks of research.

Why the red triangle on the RID that states RID is working properly? It also does not show up on drone Scanner. Was able to register with my number just fine. Using iPhone and iPad. I use the holy stone on my spark and it shows up fine other than it’s not FAA recognized yet. It should be as a serial numbers are listed in the declarations of compliance so I don’t know what’s up with that either.

Last edited:
So I'm trying to get this working with my iPhone again.

I have a bunch of USB-A to USB-C cables. They're longer than optimal so I'm trying those.

First thing is my iPhone will periodically disconnect and then reconnect, so the battery charging indicator of the iPhone flashes on and off. I tried changing the settings in the DJI Go 4 app to not charge my iPhone through the controller but this is still happening.

I worry that this is a brief disconnect and during a flight, it could cause a loss of control over the aircraft that I may not be able to recover in time.

This is with an Anker cable, which is suppose to work for both data and charging. Someone earlier in the thread posted to make sure it supports both data and charging.

Someone else also posted about OTG cables but that seems to be more of a thing for Android devices, not iOS?

Has anyone else had to try to use an iOS or iPadOS device with USB-C with this drone model?

I have a bunch of USB-A to USB-C cables. They're longer than optimal so I'm trying those.
A little longer doesn't matter.
You can always make a loop to tame the extra.
i-PhcTLBM-L.jpg

I worry that this is a brief disconnect and during a flight, it could cause a loss of control over the aircraft that I may not be able to recover in time.
No need to worry.
Your phone doesn't control the drone.
You can pull the cord out while in flight and still have full control.
Put the cord back after a minute and you've got vision again.
Try it sometime in a place you feel safe flying and get some confidence.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne