DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

****!! I keep forgetting to take off the gimbal clamp

Slightly OT, but important: I posted this in a separate thread, but for those that might not know, the gimbal clamp and bubble cover come off all on their own if the MP is dropped hard enough to cause the weight of the camera to push it off. Obviously this isn't something you would do intentionally, but if there is any space between the bottom of your case cutout and the bubble, one good thump and both will drop off, leaving the camera exposed for the remainder of the time it's in the case. This could be devastating if you're shipping it somewhere. Make sure there is sufficient padding under the bubble so any downward forces won't have the necessary play to eject the clamp and cover.

I agree. Alot of Mavics Ive seen new in box had the bubble popped off and the clamp loose. I scotch tape the clamp to the gimbal and then the bubble to the body before shipping.

I agree. Alot of Mavics Ive seen new in box had the bubble popped off and the clamp loose. I scotch tape the clamp to the gimbal and then the bubble to the body before shipping.

DJI repair doesn't do that. When my replacement arrived in the stock/retail box, the clamp was loose, and the camera had pulled away from the retaining slit. I thought someone just didn't pop it on correctly. Just recently I dropped my case, and when I opened it and found both parts not even touching the MP, I realized what had happened. The tape idea is a good one. Too bad the cover and clamp don't have a more positive locking tab. My phantom had a roll driver pot board go bad when I shipped it without the clamp on it. Expensive lesson.

Sorry for thread-jacking, OP....

Reactions: erkme73
I had a small lanyard for a USB key that I picked up while manning a booth at a tech conference. Free. But you could buy this 50 pack for $8, use one, and then, I don't know, put 49 lanyards on your coworker's gear as a prank.

https://www.amazon.com/CaseBuy-Stra...e=UTF8&qid=1484884176&sr=8-6&keywords=lanyard

I attached the lanyard to the gimbal guard without modification.

I like the look of that. Simple, effective. I can also see it catching my 3yo's eye and with his ingenuity (and unrealistically long arms), using it to pull the MP off the counter...

I like the look of that. Simple, effective. I can also see it catching my 3yo's eye and with his ingenuity (and unrealistically long arms), using it to pull the MP off the counter...

This mini lanyard is only a few inches long. If he can grab the lanyard he can grab the Mavic.

Yep.. that's what I ended up doing.. I got a piece of ribbon from my wife and taped it to the G-clamp.. by accident I cut it longer and I was able to wrap it around the whole Mavic, which I like because it keep the props closed and helps taking it out of the fly-more bag..

Thats perfect

I only flew my two times and both times i forgot my **** clamp on startup i was so pissed at myself. Luckily no damage. Funny thing is i made a 10" tether out of tape and still managed to overlook it as it was laying underneath the craft doh! Its so new to me and in the past ive always had traxxas slash where you just turn it on fast and go

I need to make serious effort though because i can not do this again dang it

Yep.. that's what I ended up doing.. I got a piece of ribbon from my wife and taped it to the G-clamp.. by accident I cut it longer and I was able to wrap it around the whole Mavic, which I like because it keep the props closed and helps taking it out of the fly-more bag..

Nice! This guy had another video called tips and tricks on the mavic. He has a section on a red velcro that looks like the ribbon that wraps around the mavic. I think he uses two pieces? I think I'm going to try that. Cheers!

My Mavic gives an error message if I leave mine on. When powering on, the camera moves side to side, up and down, to test the system. If it can't move, it says gimbel overload or overheating, please check in bright red letters.

This was quick, easy, and worked better than expected. I clipped a few short lengths of red ribbon - that very common kind used for decorating packages that will curl if you run it over a scissors blade. I didn't curl it just took it off the roll and taped it to the clamp. The unexpected benefit was the way it naturally curves up around the Mavic and is easily visible if your reaching for the power button from above. It's also flexible enough to go into and out of the hard case without even thinking about it.

Attachments

• Gimbal Clamp Flag.png
    Gimbal Clamp Flag.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
I Just forgot to remove mine when I was transferring the video to my computer. I don't have an SD card reader yet so I powered on my mavic pro, and plugged it into the computer for about 15-20mins.

Im tripping out if I damaged anything. The mavic itself seemed super hot when I was done.

Any thoughts on this?

This was the 2nd time I forgot to take off the clamp.. I catch it in the app, but wondering how many times if I forget will it damage the delicate little thing?
It can take just once and then you are forced to have it fixed...or lost in the mail like me. Goodbye $1200.
Get with it lol.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc